Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM02 | Canucks lose to Oilers in OT | 3-4 (Pettersson, Boeser, & Zadorov) | Less than Stellar Effort

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
McDavid should have got 5 mins for that high stick,,but refs turn a blind eye for him.
It was shocking to me (maybe it shouldn’t have been so shocking given who would’ve been penalized) that such a blatant high stick - which drew blood - on Hughes was not called. So I stupidly assumed the Canucks would get an undeserved make up PP later. Shows what I know about how the NHL views the Oilers vis a vis how they view the Canucks!
Oh, and ESPN can eff off with how obviously biased they sound in favor of the Oilers. :mad:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You knew that guys like Blueger, Mikheyev, Lafferty and Hoglander would 'hit the wall' in these playoffs. Suter has scored a few times; but Joshua has gone dry since the playoff opener with Nashville.

I think a lack of depth and size up front was always the Canucks point of vulnerability heading into the playoffs. And you also wondered about their blueline.

Hughes and Hronek are just getting caved in, in their own zone; and both Soucy and Cole have been poor in this series so far. You'd think playing in front of a rookie goaltender would be motivation for these guys--but right now, they just look spent.

Surely Tocchet must see this......they need some reinforcements. Trotting out the same lineup simply isn't going to cut it as this series grinds onward.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Am I the only one that's still feeling good vibes around the Canucks? I mean sure a loss sucks but man this team is so fun to watch, has tons of character. We are playing in round two of the playoffs against the Oilers. This is what hockey is all about and I'm enjoying every second of it!
We played like shit and almost came away with the win in regulation so yeah I feel pretty good about it still.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
McDrai played heavy minutes to get this win. Full value to the Oil though. They had a great 3rd. I do wonder how these heavy minutes might effect McDrai in a long series. Could ultimately be to our advantage. Silovs has been good but I think we are 2-0 with Demko. Edmonton is nothing without the duo.

I love playoff hockey.

Go Canucks....

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I don’t see many blaming Silovs for tonight. I think the D had more problems than him
To be fair he was great at times but then also in some circumstances had no idea what he was doing. Like when he played the puck behind the net. He also didn't see a bunch of shots again, easy to miss if you're not looking for it.

He's learning, I think overall he was quite good especially for a rookie and a playoffs rookie too.

Reactions: Indiana

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Canucks lost this with the terrible puck management in their own zone. So many miscues when they had time and space in the first two periods; bad D to D passes, 5 foot passes into skates, awful draw weight on bounce passes, weak backhand clearing attempts, missed reversals, passing either way too soft or way too hard... it was persistent and had them hemmed in for extended shifts over and over again. Their legs were gone by the third period, and IMO that's why we got dominated in the late stages.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
If I'm Tocchet I'm not very happy with the style the Canucks tried to play in this game.

Looked like carelessness due to overconfidence.

The play Soucy and Myers made on the McDavid goal was a microcosm - did not follow the "live to play another shift" mantra.

Way too much run n gun in general, as well.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Hope Foote goes over the tape with the D to get them to clean up their transition play and breakouts. Lots of dumb mistakes and unforced errors from the backend tonight
Preds and Oilers are targeting Hughes.

He has been THE difference in this aspect of the game for us for over 2 seasons.

I dont know if the rest of the D is suddenly going to get better at it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If I'm Tocchet I'm not very happy with the style the Canucks tried to play in this game.

Looked like carelessness due to overconfidence.

The play Soucy and Myers made on the McDavid goal was a microcosm - did not follow the "live to play another shift" mantra.

Way too much run n gun in general, as well.
Well if he's not 'happy', do something about it. So far in these playoffs he hasn't made a single lineup change, other than in goal which was forced on him.

There's not a chance in the world the Canucks are going to advance if they keep trotting out the same lineup, game after game, It's just too energizing.

Maybe he's convinced that nobody currently sitting in the press-box offers anything of additional value beyond his current group of players. But if that's the case, what does it say about the Canucks lineup depth?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Well if he's not 'happy', do something about it. So far in these playoffs he hasn't made a single lineup change, other than in goal which was forced on him.

There's not a chance in the world the Canucks are going to advance if they keep trotting out the same lineup, game after game, It's just too energizing.

Maybe he's convinced that nobody currently sitting in the press-box offers anything of additional value beyond his current group of players. But if that's the case, what does it say about the Canucks lineup depth?

There are probably changes he can or should make

But they likely believe the lineup as it's currently constructed should be able to handle the Oilers if they do what has made them successful all season. Game 2 was not Canucks hockey and they paid for it.

I imagine they run it back for game 3 and hope for better system execution. If game 3 goes sideways we'll probably see something for game 4.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Man, splurged with my lovely gf and went to the game. Was an incredible experience regardless of the result.

We could have won that one. We got a bit gunshy in the 3rd and got f***ed by the refs too.

But I think it's important to remember, again, that we are just learning how to win and crafting an identity. This is a big building season in terms of crafting ourselves an identity, as well as making this a desirable place to play again.

Let's not forget, we are playing a desperate superlative generational player. Like, McDavid will be firmly enshrined in the top 5 players EVER by the time his career is over, and he's never even been to the cup finals.

We are playing a team at the apex of their contender status (who have been mismanaged to hell with the Nurse and Campbell contracts), being driven by an absolute freak who is desperate to augment his legacy with a cup run.

This isn't losing to the 2015 Calgary Flames. This is a team that might only have one or two more kicks at this, with 2 top 5 players in the league, both of whom are top 4 ALL TIME in playoff ppg, playing with absolute desperation.

Might I add, we are facing them with our THIRD string goalie.

We can win this series, but it's not going to be easy and probably requires a favourable timeline where Demko comes back for game 5 after we squeak out a split in Edmonton.

For those blathering on about how much Tocchet sucks, or how much this or that player sucks. I'm going to defer to quoting Patton Oswalt when I say, 'you're going to miss everything cool and die mad'.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
I had issues with the broadcast cutting in and out because my ISP had a moment this morning so I didn't get a good picture of the whole game. Appreciate the insight from you guys in the PGT as always. Go Nucks go!

Is that the geomagnetic storm, I reckon? I had trouble with my streams in the Netherlands as well.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
You knew that guys like Blueger, Mikheyev, Lafferty and Hoglander would 'hit the wall' in these playoffs. Suter has scored a few times; but Joshua has gone dry since the playoff opener with Nashville.

I think a lack of depth and size up front was always the Canucks point of vulnerability heading into the playoffs. And you also wondered about their blueline.

Hughes and Hronek are just getting caved in, in their own zone; and both Soucy and Cole have been poor in this series so far. You'd think playing in front of a rookie goaltender would be motivation for these guys--but right now, they just look spent.

Surely Tocchet must see this......they need some reinforcements. Trotting out the same lineup simply isn't going to cut it as this series grinds onward.
Joshua just had a 3 point, 8 hit Night in game 1 of this series lol

Also Blueger has been great in the playoffs.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
To try taking away some positives with this game. The best thing so far is we've weathered the storm of Edmonton's offense and kept up with them despite the narrative every other game would be a blow out. Even better, we survived an onslaught last night, albeit of our own making, and only lost in OT.

We can definitely hang with and beat the Oilers. We just need to be more aggressive on our forecheck. What killed us last night is playing passive. Tocchet's correct in saying we had too much respect for Drai and McDavid. We were never going to sweep them, fun as that would be. So now it's our turn to show we can answer back.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Canucks Nation stay on point.

Your Vancouver Canucks should definitely prioritize resigning Cole, Lafferty and Blueger over Lindholm and Gen Z.

signed,

Better players in the press box.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Pettersson set Mikheyev up twice, Hoglander 3 TIMES. Mikheyev has a partial break and it’s directly into the crest of the goalie. Another chance he skates skates skates and then loses his angle and gets stripped off the puck as he’s forced along the boards.

Hoglander had a chance on a backdoor pass, on a rush, and a great set up from the slot and he doesn’t even manage a single shot off. He is too slow with his decision making and completely turns the puck over.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Great game. Very exciting.

Wasn’t gonna be a sweep regardless. Top lines need to be more noticeable.

Hronek was awful.

Reactions: sting101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad