Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM02 | Canucks lose to Oilers in OT | 3-4 (Pettersson, Boeser, & Zadorov) | Less than Stellar Effort

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Am I the only one that's still feeling good vibes around the Canucks? I mean sure a loss sucks but man this team is so fun to watch, has tons of character. We are playing in round two of the playoffs against the Oilers. This is what hockey is all about and I'm enjoying every second of it!
Despite this disappointing loss, I still feel the Canucks can win this series. The media is gonna go all gaga for McDavid taking over game 2, but the fact is the other Oilers lines did just about nothing, their D is still average and Skinner is still on track to lose this series for the Oilers.

Regarding Silovs being shaky. He is a rookie. If he comes back down to earth more in Game 3, then you can switch to DeSmith, who won two games against the Oilers.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Am I the only one that's still feeling good vibes around the Canucks? I mean sure a loss sucks but man this team is so fun to watch, has tons of character. We are playing in round two of the playoffs against the Oilers. This is what hockey is all about and I'm enjoying every second of it!

Nah, I'm with you. We're still very much in this series and can beat Edmonton.

But folks need to stop thinking that this Edmonton team is a clown show.

They are very, very good but like all teams they have weaknesses in their roster. We looked rattled tonight, almost zero poise with the puck in our own end and I think part of that was nerves and part of it is how Edmonton plays in the o-zone.

They take a TON of risks and play hyper aggressively, something we couldn't exploit at all. Skinner is pedestrian, but we never really had more than a few prolonged shifts in their zone to try and exploit him either.

Some people have remarked that it isn't sustainable to play McDrai 30 mins a game and win a cup, and while I agree with that sentiment, this is only game 2 of round 2. I don't think Edmonton gave a shit about sustainability of strategy, they just played desperate hockey, and we didn't have the poise to counter effectively.

Shit happens.

Like I've been saying for a good chunk of the year, I still maintain that we're a notch below the top contenders in the league and this was the kind of game that bears it out.

So, just win game 3 and put the pressure back on those f***s.

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
It's a bad look to bitch about the reffing in a game. Own it and be better. Bitching won't win you games but practicing hard and grinding even harder will. Screw the refs. We'll win this series mark my words!
If anyone’s gonna bitch publicly about the refs it’s gonna be JR the day after the game in a press conference w Alvin

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It's a bad look to bitch about the reffing in a game. Own it and be better. Bitching won't win you games but practicing hard and grinding even harder will. Screw the refs. We'll win this series mark my words!

You can blame reffing but that’s a cop out, we would be acting like those fools on social media. Couldn’t win game 2, bottom line.

Onto game 3.

If anyone’s gonna bitch publicly about the refs it’s gonna be JR the day after the game in a press conference w Alvin

JR will use his OBC connections no doubt.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
You can blame reffing but that’s a cop out, we would be acting like those fools on social media. Couldn’t win game 2, bottom line.

Onto game 3.

JR will use his OBC connections no doubt.

You are completely allowed to bitch about the reffing when guys get chopped in the nuts and another get gets bled on a high stick. It's not even about whether or not it costs you the game, those are just dangerous plays that should be automatic. I'd say the same with Nurse's boarding on Pettersson.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Same brother,
Just glad to be here.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Oilers probably deserved the win but they got away with murder this game, missed boarding call against Pettersson, missed slew foot on Hughes, missed double minor high stick on Hughes, so many blatant slashes and stick infractions missed, terrible reffing.
All part of Bettman's Ref Game Management. NHL officiating is a joke nowadays when you consider the fact that Gambling is one of the NHL's sponsors.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
You are completely allowed to bitch about the reffing when guys get chopped in the nuts and another get gets bled on a high stick. It's not even about whether or not it costs you the game, those are just dangerous plays that should be automatic. I'd say the same with Nurse's boarding on Pettersson.

Eh, as a Raiders fan I’ve seen bad reffing for years. It’s ass water, some of them should be punched out.

Picking straws really, as a fan all we can do is witness it.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Eh, as a Raiders fan I’ve seen bad reffing for years. It’s ass water, some of them should be punched out.

Picking straws really, as a fan all we can do is witness it.

I'm just saying, that if you're ever going to complain about reffing in hockey, don't complain about game management or tick-tack calls, complain about guys being allowed to chop people in the nuts.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I'm just saying, that if you're ever going to complain about reffing in hockey, don't complain about game management or tick-tack calls, complain about guys being allowed to chop people in the nuts.

The reffing was super questionable tonight, no argument from me. But we all saw it coming a mile away lol, how many folks were making posts 7-8 hours ago about being prepared for the reffing to be a story tonight?

I just think that Tocchet doesn't see value in bringing it up as a coach, and if I had to wager a guess, part of his reluctance to bring up the officiating probably has to do with his old school gut it out mentality.

But it would be nice if management took things up with the league behind the scenes, because that missed boarding call, the high stick double minor to Hughes, and the spear to Hoglander's groin were really unacceptable. Things could spin out of control very quickly if that kind of stuff is allowed to continue.

Ninebreaker

Mar 4, 2014
I don't get the criticism leveled at Silovs......He was basically under siege for the entire third period, and was one of the only reasons this game even got to OT.

And for better or worse, it looks like the Canucks will be pretty well forced to ride him the rest of the way. And I'd say that he has been far better than Skinner at the other end who was supposed to be the guy who led them to the promised land.

What you love to see with Silovs is that coming off a shaky first game, he used it as motivation and came up with an heroic effort in defeat. The Canucks definitely have something in this kid.

Canucks have some goaltending decisions to make this off-season, with Demko breaking down at the worst possible time.
Keep demko on LTIR until playoffs :sarcasm:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The reffing was super questionable tonight, no argument from me. But we all saw it coming a mile away lol, how many folks were making posts 7-8 hours ago about being prepared for the reffing to be a story tonight?

I just think that Tocchet doesn't see value in bringing it up as a coach, and if I had to wager a guess, part of his reluctance to bring up the officiating probably has to do with his old school gut it out mentality.

But it would be nice if management took things up with the league behind the scenes, because that missed boarding call, the high stick double minor to Hughes, and the spear to Hoglander's groin were really unacceptable. Things could spin out of control very quickly if that kind of stuff is allowed to continue.

I'm fairly sure Rutherford will be sending videos to the league of those plays and being like "WTF".

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Honestly...it was a reality check. Not as optimistic we can beat McDrai this go around unless we get unreal goaltending in Edmonton.

But you look at the roster and realize what proper management can do.

There will be more opportunities to improve the roster and you have guys in charge that can identify talent. They demonstrated this well this season.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
think there was a lot in this game to be very pleased about, not the least of which is that we led for a good chunk of it. silovs was fantastic, and skinner looks like ass. mcdrai will not continue to put up 4 points in every game. the oilers bottom-6 looks horrendous and petey is starting to show signs of life - think that goal was a huge sigh of relief for him. vibes are strong heading into the next two games, imo.

what i really don't get from a lot of the posts in this thread is the hronek hate and the continued zadorov love fest in relation. when did this market become so enamored with big, dumb defensemen?

like, these are not an end-all-be-all by any means, but this lines up with how i roughly saw things:

1715409313345.png
1715409618039.png

the miller line just got outclassed by mcdavid - which will happen when they load the top line like that. hog was contrary to some posts here, fine. garland much quieter than we've seen in a while.

cole was tragic but zads wasn't much better, clutch goal aside. hughes and hronek tilt the ice in our favour, and it's not just quinn doing it.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Tocchet loaded up (Lotto) to face McDrai, but then also gave the 4th line a regular rotation. Why?

Either you go strength on strength and match McDrai on shift count and player quality, or you roll your lines. Either shorten your bench, or balance it. What Tocchet did was a half measure that made the problem worse, not better.

Next, if Hoglander is the problem on the Pettersson line, shift him to the 4th line, move PDG up to the 1st and then put Suter with Pettersson-Mikheyev. This way, the 3rd and 4th line have another chance to create a relative advantage rather than trying to get an advantage at the top of the roster.

Tocchet needs to stop thinking about overwhelming the opposition at the top... It's unlikely to happen.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
So what is it, 58 games or something without a goal for mik? Go to the final with every series going 7 and he'd be scoreless for almost 82 games

Reactions: aquaweenie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad