Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM02 | Canucks lose to Oilers in OT | 3-4 (Pettersson, Boeser, & Zadorov) | Less than Stellar Effort

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I think we were playing pretty timid most of the game, for whatever reason.

That's how it goes sometimes.

Edmonton dictated things pretty well, and McDavid did his silly best player in the league thing,

Oh well.

I do think the officiating was poor, but we shouldn't have let that get to us, gotta maintain composure and steal home ice back now!
I don’t expect us to win on the road playing like this. We were lucky to steal 2 in Nashville. Oilers are much better and they’ll have the last change advantage. Mcdavid will ventilate us

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Couple game notes:

Sutherland as advertised, shocker there. No makeup call after missing a 4 minute, brutal. If that PP goes through, given how Skinner was playing and how the Canucks played in the second, good shot the Canucks get to 4 goals and can win before OT.

Canucks played like shit in the third, deserved to lose after that. I understand being destroyed by McDavid, but that bottom 9 hemming you in is not good, especially with how poor they were in the first two periods.

Lindholm + Joshua were very poor in the third. Petey didn't get any flow going with his line in the third either, I don't know if Hogs or Mik even played much that period.

Cole was ok up until the last goal, but that's 4 goals directly a result of stupid plays by him. Looking like Zach Hyman on that last shift.

Series is 1-1, and given the way each team has played, that's probably the way it should be. But still, f*** Kelly Sutherland. Anyone saying before the game not to worry or we're making excuses before the game started was shown why so many were worried before the start today.

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Couple game notes:

Sutherland as advertised, shocker there. No makeup call after missing a 4 minute, brutal. If that PP goes through, given how Skinner was playing and how the Canucks played in the second, good shot the Canucks get to 4 goals and can win before OT.

Canucks played like shit in the third, deserved to lose after that. I understand being destroyed by McDavid, but that bottom 9 hemming you in is not good, especially with how poor they were in the first two periods.

Lindholm + Joshua were very poor in the third. Petey didn't get any flow going with his line in the third either, I don't know if Hogs or Mik even played much that period.

Cole was ok up until the last goal, but that's 4 goals directly a result of stupid plays by him. Looking like Zach Hyman on that last shift.

Series is 1-1, and given the way each team has played, that's probably the way it should be. But still, f*** Kelly Sutherland. Anyone saying before the game not to worry or we're making excuses before the game started was shown why so many were worried before the start today.

I’m less worried about the officiating and more worried about the play of the team. They just wilted at the end of the second and never really recovered

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I don’t expect us to win on the road playing like this. We were lucky to steal 2 in Nashville. Oilers are much better and they’ll have the last change advantage. Mcdavid will ventilate us
Agreed. Such is life.

The Oilers are a really f***ing awesome team.

They are the favourites for a reason. That's not to say I don't think we can hang with them or even grind out a series win, I do think we can.

But tonight the Oilers played at a level above us and it showed.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
We played a mostly solid game... until the third. Letting the Oilers get, what 18 shots to our 3 is ridiculous. We were playing terrified instead of breaking their confidence in their powerplay.

Not a great game for Soucy or Hronek. Granted, the latter's become a recurring theme. Cole though...

Reactions: aquaweenie

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

They literally have 5 good players on the entire roster, and the rest is average to trash. Skinner looked like he was scared of the puck all night.

Reactions: B-rock

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Sutherland tilted the ice.

Oilers played like they could do whatever they wanted and never get called, which was true.

Canucks played like they couldn't do anything and they'd still get called for it, which was true.

There's nothing else worth reading into from this game. Canucks got shell shocked by the refs into playing passive and waiting to lose, next time play to win. A 50% PK is still better than the 5% chance it looked like we had to win in the third playing scared to even play the puck for fear of a penalty being called.

Reactions: B-rock and Jovofan

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. Such is life.

They are the favourites for a reason. That's not to say I don't think we can hang with them or even grind out a series win, I do think we can.

But tonight the Oilers played at a level above us and it showed.

Yup

It was embarrassing seeing all the Canucks fans trying to dunk on the oilers on social media, only chance we have is to grind this out and hope it goes 7. Much more likely they win in 5 or 6

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Lets be real, very slim chances we took this series to Edmonton up 2-0. Its not going to be easy. We’re in this
we shouldn't win this series with our back up back up goalie, so a loss doesn't really bother me

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It would have been a travesty if the Canucks had actually won this game. Front the middle of the second period on, the Canucks just died on the vine. It looked at times like it was too much of a physical effort to even more their feet.

So it's over to Tocchet now. He's absolutely refused to make a single lineup change so in these playoffs, and the wear and tear is grinding down some of the smaller forwards. Bring in Podkolzin, Aman, or both.

And as the playoffs grind on, it seems to me that Cole is mentally and physically spent. I know the only guy they can turn to is Juulsen, which doesn't inspire much confidence, but Cole needs a rest.

If they play this 'rope-a-dope' style in Edmonton, it'll be a massacre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad