Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM01 | Canucks defeat Oilers | 5-4 (Joshua, Lindholm, Miller, Zadorov, & Garland) | LET’S GOOOOOOO

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Reminds me of the meme from last year when we were all looking for nicknames:

IMG_3283.jpeg
Conor GWARland

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Because players and coaches are trained and instructed to not interact with opposing fans after a bad history in the NHL of players/coaches doing just that. It never ends well.

I'd even call bs if they claimed he flipped off the fans or something. It just doesn't really ever happen. Mocking a guy for wearing a turban would be insanely ****ing stupid and I doubt anyone who is responsible for coaching a team is stupid enough to do that and put his team's reputation in jeopardy.
Long, long, long history of coaches doing stupid things.

If you think stupidity is some sort of barrier to action, I strong implore you to not go outside anytime soon. You might find that interacting with other fellow humans can be a challenge.

Reactions: Indiana and Nomobo

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Why are you instinctively believing it so strongly? Why do people nowadays embrace this idea that it's automatically likely that straight white men in our society are bigots? Do you really believe that a coach, especially in the current social climate, is going to do something like that on this big a stage? Really?
I don’t think or know one did it. I am open to the possibility it happened. I would like evidence and if it is not produced soon then it doesn’t exsist. Has nothing to do with the color of his skin, his job, his economic reality, the social climate, how I feel. It has everything to do with understanding that people make mistakes, do stupid things, so evil things and that it’s possible. To be dismissive and not curious to facilitate and support these things. If you doubt that professionals can do bad stuff, go to Poland and learn about WW2.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana and Nomobo

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Long, long, long history of coaches doing stupid things.

If you think stupidity is some sort of barrier to action, I strong implore you to not go outside anytime soon. You might find that interacting with other fellow humans can be a challenge.
Cool story bro. When did I say it was a barrier? I said it was very unlikely.

There are conflicting reports now. One guy is saying he did a cup-like hand gesture on his head and made a funny face, another guy is saying he pointed and mouthed "nice hat", etc. This is exactly why these allegations can't really be taken seriously. And reportedly, the fans got thrown out for banging on the glass, so there's incentive to make it sound worse than it was.

The whole thing is just silly.

Anyways, back on topic.

Go Canucks Go.

Reactions: Nomobo

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
That Zadorov goal felt like a dagger through the chest of Skinner. Absolute piss missile.

The Garland goal was a direct result, Skinner was clearly shaken and didn't react properly to the fake shot.

Reactions: Indiana

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Trying to equate Silovs to being some sort of seasoned vet with tons of big-game experience because of a short run in a B-level tournament is functionally insane.

And I like Silovs, and I was probably his first biggest backer on these boards, and I do actually think he has a cool head for his age.

But managing to beat a mostly SHL-based Sweden at the WCs in front of 8000 people isn't even on the same f***ing planet as going up against Connor McDavid in front of 18000 people in an NHL playoff game. It just isn't close. At all. Even a little bit. He's never seen anything like this before in his life, or anywhere close.
Your ignorance of the importance of IIHF hockey to the fans of Europe is showing and nowhere did I call him "some sort of seasoned vet with tons of big-game experience". The bronze medal win for Latvia is the biggest thing ever to happen to the hockey culture in Latvia which is completely nuts about hockey and Silovs won the MVP at it and at home to boot. Calling the WHC a "B level tournament" is NHL-fan chauvinism at its finest. I met a lot of folks in Europe who were nuts about hockey but who only had a passing interest in the NHL. If they follow it at all it's usually because some local player or another has got a job there. I met literally nobody there who followed the NHL over every other league...

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Just got done watching the game (the crappy part of living on the right coast).

I’ve been a fan of the team since they played in the PNE. I’ve never seen a team this talented and deep…ever (better than the 11 team right now). This is just magical what they’re doing.

- Shutting down McDavid to zero shots.

- Didn’t allow a shot on goal for the latter part of the second into the third period.

- Depth players are doing all the little things that EDM wouldn’t do.

- Didn’t get baited by the EDM shit talkers.

This is a dangerous team.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
this game was absolutely bonkers.

the first half of the game, we alternated carrying the play 1/3 of the time and being totally caved in by edmonton the other 2/3 of the time. but that team looked totally beatable at every point and obviously silovs had a rough game.

but then midway through the second, either we flipped a switch or edmonton did and we just dominated them the rest of the way.

my takeaways:

• motherf***ers need to hit the motherf***ing net.
  • lindholm has no idea what his role is on the PP
  • hoglander needs to be on the fourth line, both because he is playing like crap but also because taking the pressure off him to make offensive plays will simplify his game and hopefully that gets him back to contributing energy and causing turnovers
  • i thought hronek looked godawful to start and really really good defensively to finish the game; one shift he just handled mcjesus like it was nothing
  • we have to do something about petey’s wingers, but we also need to keep lindholm on his own line. having miller, petey, and lindholm down the middle is going to win us this series.
  • lindholm was an absolute beast. that was a trevor linden in ’94 game by him. just trucking guys and carrying the play.
  • but conversely, while petey had a really good game i thought, especially defensively, you can see that one of his wingers is always completely open and they’re collapsing on petey because there’s no need to cover them. that needs to change somehow.
  • suter had a really really good game and was integral to anything that boeser and miller accomplished. 50/50battles he usually would lose or saw off, he won last night.
  • mikheyev also had a really really good game, although obviously hands of stone and of zero offensive consequence.
  • with skinner so shaky, we actually should start shooting it from everywhere, although obviously hit the motherf***ing net.
but ultimately, this was a game of pleasant surprises.

goal #1 i was like, jesus f***ing christ cole, hit the net. but obviously then joshua put it away. i think right there, it showed the team where skinner’s weakness is. he doesn’t track pucks well when it’s too far to the side and close to the goal line.

goal #3, after miller (i think) made a great play at the line to keep it in, soucy makes the quick read to boeser and i’m like, boeser’s trapped. wtf is jt doing behind the goal line? but he had found skinner’s weakness.

goal #5, that hughes-esque stretch pass by zadorov, that sedin-esque set play by joshua to pick/spring garland, and then i’m like, ugh, garland being garland, skating himself into nowhere... and then, another whiff by skinner on a wide angle shot from basically the goal line.

also, that was the worst game i’ve seen hughes play in years. the fact that we won anyway is huge.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Your ignorance of the importance of IIHF hockey to the fans of Europe is showing and nowhere did I call him "some sort of seasoned vet with tons of big-game experience". The bronze medal win for Latvia is the biggest thing ever to happen to the hockey culture in Latvia which is completely nuts about hockey and Silovs won the MVP at it and at home to boot. Calling the WHC a "B level tournament" is NHL-fan chauvinism at its finest. I met a lot of folks in Europe who were nuts about hockey but who only had a passing interest in the NHL. If they follow it at all it's usually because some local player or another has got a job there. I met literally nobody there who followed the NHL over every other league...

It was a big deal, especially in Latvia. Nobody is arguing that.

It is nothing like the NHL playoffs. It's like saying that the WJCs somehow prepare you for the NHL playoffs. They don't. It isn't the same thing.

And yes, the WCs are a B tournament. It isn't a best-on-best Olympics situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad