Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM01 | Canucks defeat Oilers | 5-4 (Joshua, Lindholm, Miller, Zadorov, & Garland) | LET’S GOOOOOOO

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
garly.PNG

LMAO

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I thought score effects was just being down, any number of goals. And we were down basically since pick drop. So not sure how you can exclude score effects.
Yes and no. Up by one in the third a team may go into a defensive shell and lead to score effects or a massive lead early. A 1 goal lead before the game is 2 minutes old no. If a team IS sitting back at that point I mean I guess it could technically be a score effect but it's more a stupid team/player effect at that point. Even being up by 2 the first half of a game a team it is not smart to be sitting back. The expected goals is in favor of the canucks essentially from the drop of the puck. The data would suggest the Oilers scored the 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals against the run of chances.

At the back half of the game I could score effects given the 3 goal lead but it is before that where the canucks have the better share of things. Really the Oilers seemingly did a decent job of things late when they did seem to try to lock it down but were undone by unreliable players (Skinner, Nurse, Ceci).

Essentially massive lead early and any lead late is what leads to score effects. If a team is sitting back in other situations that isn't a score effect IMO. That's bad strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana and Vector

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Yes and no. Up by one in the third a team may go into a defensive shell and lead to score effects or a massive lead early. A 1 goal lead before the game is 2 minutes old no. If a team IS sitting back at that point I mean I guess it could technically be a score effect but it's more a stupid team/player effect at that point. Even being up by 2 the first half of a game a team it is not smart to be sitting back. The expected goals is in favor of the canucks essentially from the drop of the puck. The data would suggest the Oilers scored the 2nd, 3rd and 4th goals against the run of chances.

At the back half of the game I could score effects given the 3 goal lead but it is before that where the canucks have the better share of things. Really the Oilers seemingly did a decent job of things late when they did seem to try to lock it down but were undone by unreliable players (Skinner, Nurse, Ceci).

Essentially massive lead early and any lead late is what leads to score effects. If a team is sitting back in other situations that isn't a score effect IMO. That's bad strategy.

2 examples of score effects.

Blew a 3-0 lead.
2014-15 Western First Round Game 6, Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Flames Box Score: April 25, 2015 | Hockey-Reference.com

Blew a 4-0 lead.

Reactions: theguardianII

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
2 examples of score effects.

Blew a 3-0 lead.
2014-15 Western First Round Game 6, Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Flames Box Score: April 25, 2015 | Hockey-Reference.com

Blew a 4-0 lead.
The "big" lead last wasn't early and large like in the first example where it was 3-0 9 minutes. The 4-1 lead late in the 2nd is about like the 4-0 example so yes you'd expect score effects from that point on and that likely happened last night.

However, the underlying data suggests that BEFORE that is when the canucks dominated the xGF. The Oilers did try to lock it down at 4-1 and were actually reasonably successful from the numbers. Unfortunately when you have Nurse and Ceci playing 20 minutes a night and 5kinner it prevents you from actually being truly successful at it. At 1-0 there was no split in play, at 2-0 the canucks were at a +0.4 expected goals. At 2-1 they were +0.8. At the 3-1 goal they were +1.2 in expected goals. They controlled scoring chances and high danger chances at 5-on-5. The game is still early and close that I don't think score effects is the reason.

In the end, canucks goaltending let in 3 questionable goals the first half or so of the game, the Oilers goaltender the last half of the game. As I said I didn't watch the complete game but what I did watch and what the numbers say seem to align. I don't think the canucks were remotely outclassed like the chatter seemed to be and they were the team generating more.

Last edited:

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Not exactly comparable...

Not sure if you're trying to imply Silovs is at Demko's level, especially after watching today's game....
The people trying to paint Silovs as some sort of wet behind the ears infant are idiots who don't have a clue at just how important the WHC is especially to the "minnow" countries like Latvia. The man is a national hero back home. He has been under pressure that he simply won't see in the NHL... unless he does a Dryden and wins the Cup and the Conn Smythe which would be wonderful but is unlikely...

Reactions: Indiana

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Just keep up the forecheck and physicality. Good things will continue to happen.

Petey maybe should be tried with Pod & Lafferty or at least switch away from one of Mik/Hogs - worth a shot and maybe Lafferty can get on a hot streak.

He's played better in the last few games and seems on the cusp of breaking through.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Check out the replay on the Lindholm goal. Joshua just crushes Hyman into the boards. Flattened to the point of having not just difficulty breathing, but even moving. He's going to feel that for weeks. It takes a special skill to be able to do that without hurting yourself, particularly if you're not a quick skater.

I was stoked when we picked up Joshua after catching a few games when he was on the Blues and it's great seeing him improve his game so much. Just a massive pickup for the Canucks.

As good as Lindholm has been between Joshua and Garland, I think re-uniting the "3rd line" of Joshua, Teddy and Connor might help turn Petterrson, Mikheyev and Lindholm into something fierce as well. That let's Hogs play lower down the lineup where he may simplify his game a bit more.

Thought Blueger played a very good game this evening.
Blueger gets no credit from anybody. His assist on the GTG went completely unnoticed by all the punters on TV. He is also the key to our PK.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The people trying to paint Silovs as some sort of wet behind the ears infant are idiots who don't have a clue at just how important the WHC is especially to the "minnow" countries like Latvia. The man is a national hero back home. He has been under pressure that he simply won't see in the NHL... unless he does a Dryden and wins the Cup and the Conn Smythe which would be wonderful but is unlikely...

A few games in front of 8000 people against mostly non-NHLers at the WCs is literally nothing like playing in an absolute cauldron in the NHL playoffs.

Reactions: D0ctorCool

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
A few games in front of 8000 people against mostly non-NHLers at the WCs is literally nothing like playing in an absolute cauldron in the NHL playoffs.
You just don't get it do you. Your loss. I suggest you go see a hockey game in Europe some day; believe me it is eye opening. P.S. Latvia has over 2 million people and every single one of them knows who Silovs is...

Reactions: stampedingviking

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You just don't get it do you. Your loss. I suggest you go see a hockey game in Europe some day; believe me it is eye opening. P.S. Latvia has over 2 million people and every single one of them knows who Silovs is...

Trying to equate Silovs to being some sort of seasoned vet with tons of big-game experience because of a short run in a B-level tournament is functionally insane.

And I like Silovs, and I was probably his first biggest backer on these boards, and I do actually think he has a cool head for his age.

But managing to beat a mostly SHL-based Sweden at the WCs in front of 8000 people isn't even on the same f***ing planet as going up against Connor McDavid in front of 18000 people in an NHL playoff game. It just isn't close. At all. Even a little bit. He's never seen anything like this before in his life, or anywhere close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad