Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM01 | Canucks defeat Oilers | 5-4 (Joshua, Lindholm, Miller, Zadorov, & Garland) | LET’S GOOOOOOO

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Underlying numbers show a dominant game by the canucks. And it wasn't score effects as it was the case before 4-1 (actually even more so). 5-on-5 and then all situations. Holding a near 70% xGF is a good game.

1715261259058.png

1715261320271.png

Sure some bad goaltending on both sides but the canucks seem to have been the better team. Like I said I turned it off as everytime I checked in the Oilers scored.

Call me crazy but I don't think that's an expression you ever want to see on your coaches face....

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Zadorov is an absolute beauty.

How would y'all describe the system that the Canucks play? Holding Nashville to low shots is one thing.

Holding McDavid to zero shots and the entire Oilers team to so few is something else. Since nobody in the league has really been able to do that for the last five years.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Too much rest? Too much rust? First four too easy? Flu?

What a crazy game.

The Canucks two young stars did squat only equaled by Edmonton's top two stars.

Pettersson dropped to the third line.
Hughes to the third pairing.

I don't think even the most rabid fan thought the Oilers would lose once they were up by 3 goals in the second period.

I don't like Boeser's game for the most part but again he had another PB and that is two this playoffs.

Rutherford/Allvin and a nod to Conroy for that Zadorov trade, for rebuilding this defence in one summer, those large humans DID make a difference.

I found it odd that the guy with the most playoff experience would have such a brain fart in the first minute of the game and cause a too many men penalty or couple of the other glaring errors that lead to goals.

Lindholm has really stepped up his game even if it was a fluky goal, it still counted but the rest of his game has improved.

Skinner thought he played good in the first period, ya, I guess he only had 5 shots on him. But then 5 goals on 19 shots after? And the media are saying Silovs didn't have a very good game allowing 4 goals on 18 shots.

I am sure the next game will be different but then I thought the games would be different in Nashville and they weren't, just low event, well maybe not last night, boring lock down hockey.

This game certainly woke me up, I was pretty sure they would lose once the score hit 4-1, it would just be how badly. That Zadorov goal had me standing up, it's been years since that. Sign that puppy ASAP.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Great game but lots to improve on.

EP and Cole need a serious gut check. Keep the play 5 on 5. Target Drai with clean hits over and over.

Thought Petey looked good last night - he's saddled with two absolute boat anchors right now. I'm convinced Mikheyev is never going to score a goal again - they just have nothing going.

Also, Petey's diving desperation play to stop McDavid from getting a breakaway in the 4 on 4 was a huge, huge moment.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Underlying numbers show a dominant game by the canucks. And it wasn't score effects as it was the case before 4-1 (actually even more so). 5-on-5 and then all situations. Holding a near 70% xGF is a good game.

View attachment 867723
View attachment 867724

Sure some bad goaltending on both sides but the canucks seem to have been the better team. Like I said I turned it off as everytime I checked in the Oilers scored.

Call me crazy but I don't think that's an expression you ever want to see on your coaches face....
I thought score effects was just being down, any number of goals. And we were down basically since pick drop. So not sure how you can exclude score effects.

Reactions: Jyrki21

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I thought the stat tracking was bonkers last night. Canucks had what I thought were several shots on goal in the first - 4 or 5 - that they just didn't count. And then the hits were a bit underreported as well.

Weird methodology for the NHL stats guys.
Just part of game management. Surprised the refs didn't call 2 more penalties on the Canucks once they got the lead.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Thought Petey looked good last night - he's saddled with two absolute boat anchors right now. I'm convinced Mikheyev is never going to score a goal again - they just have nothing going.

Also, Petey's diving desperation play to stop McDavid from getting a breakaway in the 4 on 4 was a huge, huge moment.
I thought Mikheyev did some good things that game. I would even say looked dangerous a few times except it's Mikheyev and at this point i can't even imagine him scoring a goal.
Like what happens first? Mikeyev scores or a goal? or Mikeyev get's struck by lightning? I'd probably bet on the lightning.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Just part of game management. Surprised the refs didn't call 2 more penalties on the Canucks once they got the lead.

I'm surprised there were no manufactured calls - Canucks did a good job of not giving them much to look at. Only saw the Oilers lose their minds when a Canuck (Suter?) gloved the puck out of his zone and the Oilers were screaming for a closing-hand-on-the-puck penalty. One Oiler got picked up on mic saying "call the f***ing penalty", which is of course a noted fantastic way to endear yourself to refs.

Still - don't think we can count on the Oilers getting only 1 PP per game from here on out. Need to tread carefully there. But that we look so much stronger than them at 5v5 is very encouraging.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm surprised there were no manufactured calls - Canucks did a good job of not giving them much to look at. Only saw the Oilers lose their minds when a Canuck (Suter?) gloved the puck out of his zone and the Oilers were screaming for a closing-hand-on-the-puck penalty. One Oiler got picked up on mic saying "call the f***ing penalty", which is of course a noted fantastic way to endear yourself to refs.

Still - don't think we can count on the Oilers getting only 1 PP per game from here on out. Need to tread carefully there. But that we look so much stronger than them at 5v5 is very encouraging.

True. However, the longer the playoffs go the less we will see manufactured calls simply because more eyes are on the games and contrary to popular belief the Refs do answer for their mistakes.

If the Oilers are hoping to win this series on the PP they are in for a real rude awakening. They are going to have to beat us 5 on 5 if they want to win this series. Because of that I really like our chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad