Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM 6 | Oilers def. Canucks 5-1 (Hoglander) | Anyone…anyone…Canucks?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The further down the playoff road, the more a team's weaknesses get exposed. With the Canucks it was always about the size and speed on the forward lines. And the fact that they're beaten down along the wall is proof of that.

But if somebody had told you at the start of the playoffs that Demko would go down in the first game of the playoffs and they'd be relying on Silovs the rest of the way, very few would ever have predicted a seventh game in Round #2.

So this team has already confounded the 'experts'.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
This type of games never ceases to amaze me how much of a hockey game with the same players comes down to coaches having last change and match up advantage. There's more to it than that but I bet back on home ice, it'll look night and day from game 6, just like it was for game 5. Need to execute on what is very much within the team's control.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I know it doesn't change anything and we got our asses kicked but Edmonton still looks beatable. It's really going to come down to who wants to win more on Monday night.
I saw someone refer to it as legacy game for our guys, and I'm not sure I agree with that. But wouldn't it sure be nice to piss all over the legacy and perhaps one day in hindsite dance all over the graves we dug for those two whiny bitches on the other team?

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I've never seen anything like that from a Canucks team in fhe playoffs. Maybe the San Jose series in 2013. Just shocking lack of preparation over confidence in their patient game. Boeser was horrible. Nobody pressing. Yikes. Not a worthy conference final participant. Looked like a lottery team that had jist dealt all their best players at a deadline. Mailed it in.

This one is on Tocchet, Petey and Boeser.

Reactions: TruKnyte

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
Probably because both teams are adjusting to each other’s tactics.
Hopefully the home crowd will give our boys some extra juice
They should be plenty rested because I don’t think they broke a sweat tonight

We were due for a game where weak goals sank us. The game was there for the taking otherwise
The team generated nothing offensively and left Silovs out to dry, this is not on him at all

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suppose the playoffs can always surprise you. But after watching the Av's-Stars double OT close-out game last night; and then this afternoon's game in Edmonton, count me as shocked if either of these Pacific Division teams offer up much against Dallas.

The speed, skill and finesse on display by both the Stars and Avalanche in that series is clearly superior.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
While I somewhat agree. The Oilers PK are easily reading the plays and the team lacks personnel that can wire a puck on net from the point. Hughes lacks a hard shot like Bouchard or Makar.

I do also think we need a guy like Guentzel that can play down low on the powerplay. This team seems unable to have any guys that can control the puck down low.

The Canucks revert to a static set against Tocchet's wishes. He wants fluidity. They turtle at ES against Tocchet's wishes. He wants a forecheck. Why don't they listen? This is between the ears. They have not learned to be comfortable with discomfort yet. They lack will.

Even if they were able to get a static PP set consistently, it would be an improvement because it would mean they won the battle to gain control in the zone. I'll take even that much.

Reactions: Flik and dez

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Game was a stinker. I've never seen Hughes get walked like the first goal all season, and he won't let that happen again. Hyman goal was sort of lucky that the puck was on end so that he settled it a bit and caught Myers out of position... if he one times it I think it's blocked. But also Boeser can't be doing those fly-bys. I didn't like Silovs on the Bouchard goal, and I think the Canucks got caught standing still on Kane's goal.

Either way, the team was never supposed to be here, and they've been good in responding.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Look at how Dallas is playing...how they can shut down Colorado's top line. We can't even do 50% of what they are doing.

Reactions: mossey3535

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Instead of looking at it as disappointed they blew a chance to move to R3, I view them as ridiculously lucky to even be in round 2 and get a Game 7.

With Demko going down, if they were in the other west bracket, they're a first round exit to Colorado, Vegas, Dallas, and even Winnipeg.
Got very lucky to draw Nashville who has a bottom 3 roster in the whole playoffs and still had to go to 6 games. And then Edmonton, a team with 1 line, 2 good D, and a crap goalie - and they've still been outplayed by Edmonton the bulk of the series. Luckily for them Skinner shat the bed in a couple games.

This roster isn't there yet and needs more juice in the next couple years to become a contender like how Dallas has gotten a boost this year from Johnston and Stankoven. Hopefully Lekkerimaki & Willander can be those guys.

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad