GDT: WCSF - Game 2: Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Fri. May 10th | 7pm PST | SNP/CBC | Don’t Change That Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
You mean the "slew foot" that only happened because Hughes turned his back to a clean hit at the last split second?

That's not a slew foot, thats Kane continuing through his check and Hughes trying to duck it. Going to get himself hurt if he keeps doing that.

Yes your allowed to move out of the way of a hit.

It wasn't split second Hughes was smartly protecting himself by making a fast play against a bigger player, it's called escapability.

Kane still couldve reached & at least pinned Hughes to the boards albeit with less force, instead went all in for the legs.

There was lots of missed calls on both sides. PPs still 7-4 for Vancouver in the series. Shut up and stop whining. The refs didn't lose you the game tonight.

I think the officiating has been pretty even, missed calls both ways pretty evenly, refs are calling it like playoff hockey. We could get into a tit for tat laundry list on both sides (and neither side is wrong)

But I do think to the posters point, a missed double minor is potentially a big swing. Oilers only scored 1 in the third afterall & despite the pressure Van did a alright job containing the high-danger chances.

Credit to McD tho, they were leaned on & came through.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

It wasn't split second Hughes was smartly protecting himself by making a fast play against a bigger player, it's called escapability.

Kane still couldve reached & at least pinned Hughes to the boards albeit with less force, instead went all in for the legs.
Kane's leg barely had an impact on the play. He should've kept it on the ice but let's not get carried away.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

No its called putting yourself in danger.

He did the same against Hyman in game one, and again, got blown up for it. He's lucky he's not being seriously injured doing this.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Imagine thinking officiating is against you while having more PPs than the opponent in the series. I want to know what officating "for" looks like.

Listen, I get it, the missed calls are annoying, but to think missed calls only happened on one end is nuts.

Trust me, Canucks do not want to be on the end of "we want every penalty called" type of game. Oilers will bury them.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Kane's leg barely had an impact on the play. He should've kept it on the ice but let's not get carried away.

Don't think I am, Hughes protected himself from getting ran through the wall as he should've. As I said Kane still could've pulled up a bit & pinned Hughes, but didn't & took out the legs.

In a way I appreciate it, your taking a lick on the other teams captain, but I'm just bringing up in response & I'd be curious the ruling if it was on McD tbh.

FWIW I'm fine with it being not called given they've let the boys play, to not even huddle on the double minor is the only eggreious one imo. Otherwise they've been pretty consistent missing calls both ways.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
No its called putting yourself in danger.

He did the same against Hyman in game one, and again, got blown up for it. He's lucky he's not being seriously injured doing this.

So don't go back for a puck? Against Hyman he tried to lean into Hyman & Hyman just bowled him over. I'm fine with that not being called, it's playoffs.

This one tonight Hughes made a fast play to evade a bodycheck & Kane still caught the legs. Not as egregious as the missed high-stick just a response if we're going tit for tat. Ultimately I'm fine with a higher standard including that going uncalled.

But I don't think the plays are the same ultimately.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So don't go back for a puck? Against Hyman he tried to lean into Hyman & Hyman just bowled him over. I'm fine with that not being called, it's playoffs.

This one tonight Hughes made a fast play to evade a bodycheck & Kane still caught the legs. Not as egregious as the missed high-stick just a response if we're going tit for tat. Ultimately I'm fine with a higher standard including that going uncalled.

But I don't think the plays are the same ultimately.
No, absorb the hit shoulder to shoulder. OR actually manage to avoid the hit. He's not "escaping" anything. He's putting himself at risk.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Kane was stupid for lifting his leg but that play doesn't go any differently if he keeps his skate on the ice. Only reason anybody is talking about it is the optics.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I think the officiating has been pretty even, missed calls both ways pretty evenly, refs are calling it like playoff hockey. We could get into a tit for tat laundry list on both sides (and neither side is wrong)

But I do think to the posters point, a missed double minor is potentially a big swing. Oilers only scored 1 in the third afterall & despite the pressure Van did a alright job containing the high-danger chances.

Credit to McD tho, they were leaned on & came through.
Reasonable response. Still don't think there's any room to complain when one team has almost double the PP opportunities in a series where both teams dominated one game each. Officiating could have easily fed the Oilers 4 powerplays in game one and we might have watched the Oilers turn that into a 6-2 game. Officiating hasn't had any impact on this series being tied 1-1.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

To me it looks like the goalie kicks his skateblade backwards or at least gets his stick caught up on his skate causing the face angle to open up when the puck hits it. If so, near impossible to not redirect the puck into the yawning cage.

If so, that's a really bad break. Cole's reaction leads me to believe that's probably what happened.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
No, absorb the hit shoulder to shoulder. OR actually manage to avoid the hit. He's not "escaping" anything. He's putting himself at risk.
Hard to escape a hit when the other player sticks out a leg, if Kane keeps his foot down Hughes likely bounces off and skates away.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Well at least I know what a Oilers win looks like now. Canucks transition game was still way better.

The most epic McDrai performance ever and the Canucks still brought it to a coin flip in overtime. With a first year AHL goaltender in net.
Oilers dominated this game by a landslide. Canucks transition game did absolutely nothing all night, and you're right McDrai just basically played 28 minutes of powerplay time tonight the way they hemmed the Canucks in all night.

Good series so far.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Edm should be up 2-0 if not for softy skinner in game 1. Almost blew game 2 as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Regal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad