WCSF: BOA! Oilers vs. Flames | Oilers lead 3-1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am not sure if the Oilers will be able to win game 4 but I hope for a good effort. Don't let Calgary back in the series by letting up and just giving the Flames the game on a silver platter. Unfortunately the Oiler have been terrible at times where they have a chance to take advantage of a good situation. Hopefully the building and that energy pushes them to play a hard game.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Up
I know right?

I mean they *should be winning* according to my model.

Anyone actually watching this series knows that:
1) Oilers embarrassed out of the building and only McDrai allowed them to put a late scare on Calgary
2) Flames blew a commanding early lead because of a complete inability to defend McDrai - the pressure was sustained from about 10 minutes in
3) Oilers played a dominant game that the Flames were not a part of

When I see Tkachuk and Gaudreau zipping in their "high danger" chances from the outer edge of the slot with no traffic in front...

And then I see Kane in all alone against Markstrom 3 times in a single period. And Drai on two breakaways this series, and receiving a couple of tap in passes. And Hyman scoring on breakaways as well as tic-tac-toes.

I know then that advanced stats are not telling me the full story.

Here is why I don't buy into advanced stats to heavily....

Game 2:
1653403623021.png

Game 3:
1653403671154.png

Unless their model got broke somewhere, what the f*** was with Game 2?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I know right?

I mean they *should be winning* according to my model.

Anyone actually watching this series knows that:
1) Oilers embarrassed out of the building and only McDrai allowed them to put a late scare on Calgary
2) Flames blew a commanding early lead because of a complete inability to defend McDrai - the pressure was sustained from about 10 minutes in
3) Oilers played a dominant game that the Flames were not a part of

When I see Tkachuk and Gaudreau zipping in their "high danger" chances from the outer edge of the slot with no traffic in front...

And then I see Kane in all alone against Markstrom 3 times in a single period. And Drai on two breakaways this series, and receiving a couple of tap in passes. And Hyman scoring on breakaways as well as tic-tac-toes.

I know then that advanced stats are not telling me the full story.
Exactly. And those Kane chances are ranked essentially the same those Johnny-Tkachuk chances to generate these xGF outputs. In statistics there’s the old adage of garbage in - garbage out. That’s garbage data in will lead to garbage stats out. And yet xGF is treated way too often as some sort of indicator of the exact story of a single game when yet another old adage of statistics gets ignored, which is small sample size limitation.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I feel like Calgary takes the series if they managed to pull off the comeback after that gaffe. Still far from over, but that was some roller coaster of a 3rd.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay
Would be nice if McDavid beat Gretzky points record and Kane beat Kurri goals record in a playoffs run. I know we're still far from it but it would be nice

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Did Calgary even generate a decent scoring chance in the 3rd? That was a pretty pathetic period by a team that needed to win
Not really. Was the first good period the Oilers had played tonight until Smith coughed one up.

Anyways shout out to Zadorov's taunting and celly after their fluke goal. As usual nothing but ego on that roster.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad