Series Talk: WCQF: Vancouver Canucks vs Nashville Predators (VAN Leads 3-2)

What will be the outcome of the series?

• Canucks in 4

Votes: 30 4.2%
  • Canucks in 5

Votes: 111 15.5%
  • Canucks in 6

Votes: 242 33.9%
  • Canucks in 7

Votes: 84 11.8%
  • Predators in 4

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Predators in 5

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • Predators in 6

Votes: 127 17.8%
  • Predators in 7

Votes: 97 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If the Canucks cant outscore the Preds on Friday there will definitely be a game 7

ok-hello-spoiler-camille.gif

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think the Canucks struggle with suffocating teams. They will do better vs the Oilers assuming both advance.
Agreed but the Oilers are in beast mode right now and without Demko it's going to be a tall order if they advance past the Preds.

Reactions: Mez

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I had the nucks winning in game 6. Finish them off because if it gets to game 7 it's all in Nashville's advantage.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Yeah, Demko’s impact will not truly be felt unless the Canucks advance to Round 2 and play the Edmonton Powerplays.
Yes and we would have to play the Vancouver PDO's.

See what you made me do? GOD DAMN IT

And the mains will likely be unbearable for which ever team is losing lol.
We're gonna have to deal with Leaf fans too if they lose.
Hell we already have to deal with them and they are hanging on by a thread.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I think a lot of people are fundamentally misunderstanding what's happening in this series.

People are saying that the Canucks are struggling to score because we're playing a defensive team like the L.A. Kings, so we can't play our counterpunching style.

That's not what's happening.

Nashville this year isn't Nashville of 10 years ago. They ARE a high-flying transition team who basically flips it out of the zone and sends two forwards to try to skate onto the puck and create odd man rushes. Like Florida last year had a lot of success with this model (and I assume they're still playing that way but haven't seen more than a few minutes of their playoff games this year.

We're playing really heavy defensively and always trending towards having guys back because we fear their transition because we know we don't have the goaltending to engage in that sort of game. The fact that the shots are so low in this series is literally occurring because that's the style that we are somewhat dictating and it's the way we have played basically every time we have our backups in net for a prolonged period.

Now, don't mistake this to be me saying that we're running this series and Nashville is just barely holding on. Nashville outplayed us for large portions of games 3 and 4 and for at least a period in game 5. But this isn't us being taken off of our game, this is us trying to protect a weakness (2nd and 3rd string goalies) and playing a tight defense.

And we're doing it really well for the most part overall, but we aren't able to create much and a couple of our stars look hurt (Hughes, possibly Petey) and bereft of confidence (Petey) which takes away our skill advantage.

I think one thing that people who never played really don't understand is the impact that is created when you don't trust your goalie.

I heard this a lot during 2011 when Luongo had those 3 games where he was catastrophic and we got blown out and people would say, 'well you didn't score anyway, goalies don't score goals'.

No, but if you don't trust your goalie you always err on the side of caution. You don't trust your offensive instincts, you always try to make the safe play, and that's not how you create goals/offensive chances.

If someone wants to point out that Silovs and DeSmith have been decent and put up good numbers I would say, precisely because we have placed them in a position to be able to do so. And that's not taking away from them. But think about some of the best saves we have seen Demko make, e.g. sliding across to rob that 2-on-1 in game 1. How many of those lateral chances have we tasked our goalies with saving? Not many, so we have allowed them to play to their strengths and they have mostly done so, but it has come at the cost of a lot of our offensive creation.

Now, I'm not arguing that it's 100% working, nor am I saying that there aren't problems for our team. We've become so focused on that and concerned about chances against that a lot of our players are playing without much confidence or cohesion offensively.

We also haven't had any game where the breaks have just gone our way early. Like there have been at least 3 games where we could have been up by 2 or 3 after the first period, but that hasn't happened, so we haven't had any chances to feel comfortable and play our grinding shutdown counterpunch mode against a team that's desperate.

I'm still confident we can pull this series out, but the important thing is that this is the beginning of our window and our players are learning a lot of valuable lessons about what the playoffs look like and how to deal with adversity.

Full marks to the Preds who are fast, ferocious, and don't concede an inch.

Thought for sure Nsh was losing when McDumass shanked the wide open net on a perfectly executed pass off pads by Fil Forsberg

This post just exhibits ignorance.

Ryan McDonagh has been fantastic this series and a massive factor defensively.

I know our team well enough that I know which players tend to win which battles/races for pucks and we're losing a lot of battles we usually win.

And when I look to the other side, oh look that's McDonagh neutralizing a really good player.

He and O'Reilly are absolutely fantastic players who make it incredibly difficult on their opponents.

One missed shot on a bobbled puck in a game they won anyway doesn't change that unless you're scrolling on your phone and looking up every 5 minutes and call that 'watching' the game.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This post just exhibits ignorance.

Ryan McDonagh has been fantastic this series and a massive factor defensively.

I know our team well enough that I know which players tend to win which battles/races for pucks and we're losing a lot of battles we usually win.

And when I look to the other side, oh look that's McDonagh neutralizing a really good player.

He and O'Reilly are absolutely fantastic players who make it incredibly difficult on their opponents.

One missed shot on a bobbled puck in a game they won anyway doesn't change that unless you're scrolling on your phone and looking up every 5 minutes and call that 'watching' the game.

I never said he's not good and it wasn't a shot at him as a player. It's a notsoflattering nickname going back to his Ranger days. He can be inept with the puck at times.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Probably true even with Demko if Pettersson can’t turn it around either
Yeah, I agree. Really blows my mind why GM’s want to sign a superstar at the max they could get during the season. It’s amazing how the production falls off a cliff when the pen hits paper, I’m looking at you too nylander.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, I agree. Really blows my mind why GM’s want to sign a superstar at the max they could get during the season. It’s amazing how the production falls off a cliff when the pen hits paper, I’m looking at you too nylander.
It is a common psychological phenomenon. That's why, it'd be best to only do short-term deals and to grant new, short ones repeatedly, based on the performance during the previous one. That way, the player would constantly be motivated to try hard, and would likely perform better as a result. I would like the contracts to cap at 3 years. It would help teams retain quality and would allow them to even pay more to the star players, because bad contracts wouldn't handcuff them so badly.

Mind, there could still be injury provisions to protect players in case they get long-term injured, which is an understandable reason for the players to prefer receiving long-term contracts.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
It is a common psychological phenomenon. That's why, it'd be best to only do short-term deals and to grant new, short ones repeatedly, based on the performance during the previous one. That way, the player would constantly be motivated to try hard, and would likely perform better as a result. I would like the contracts to cap at 3 years. It would help teams retain quality and would allow them to even pay more to the star players, because bad contracts wouldn't handcuff them so badly.

Mind, there could still be injury provisions to protect players in case they get long-term injured, which is an understandable reason for the players to prefer receiving long-term contracts.
Yea it’s how us humans are built. People in general who have positions higher up the dompany typically do less work but get paid more and defer all the hard work to subordinates. And hockey is likely the most taxing sport physically then any of the 4 major North American sports.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

this is why signing good but not great players to 6+ year deals almost always go badly. i'm kind of terrified of what zadorov and hronek look like with that kind of security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad