GDT: WCQF GM04 | Vancouver Canucks @ Nashville Predators | Sun. Apr 28th | 2:00PM PST | SNP/CBC | Don’t Panic

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I recall seeing a LOT of posts about Bo’s character, questioning his captaincy and such…fans here are relentless at times.
I think we questioned his captaincy after the country club vibes culture. Almost everyone would say he is the best professional, great Canadian , great role model.

Maybe players aren't going hard enough to make adjustments count
I dunno, when breakout is not working it’s not about try.

Reactions: mossey3535

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
It’s one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever seen from one of our top players. He literally refuses to shoot. He has a world class shot, has one of, if not, the hardest shot in the league, and he refuses to f***ing shoot.

It doesn’t help he’s playing with a trash can that is Mikheyev but Pettersson has been worse.

He’s performed in the playoffs before. Whatever the f*** happened after February 4th, he needs to figure it out. Like you can’t be that mentally fragile that you can’t even gather yourself to AT LEAST make a damn effort. That pathetic backcheck was utterly embarrassing.
He signed an extension because of pressure and doesn’t want to be here. It’s pretty easy to see what happened.

Reactions: B-rock

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
If we come out for the 3rd with the same 4 lines, I will be raising an eyebrow in Tocchet's direction.

Game is just a one shot difference. 2 goals in 12 seconds in GM1. 12 shots in GM3. Calling it right now, Steamer is coming down from the rafters and scoring the tying goal.

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
I want to go back to enjoying Leafs fans misery with playoff Marner, I don't want that to happen to us with Pettersson please. Please man, west is wide open, we have a lot of great contracts out performing, we have a chance to make noise this year. Don't make this year your Marner year... We need Pettersson!

Reactions: Szechwan

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Lets not bring up the depressed thing. Some of our and other teams beloved, hardest working players have been depressed and are not around anymore

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
anyone know why petey’s parents are traveling to tennessee to cheer him on?

wonder if something really serious is going on in his real non-hockey life and they are being there for him

Reactions: Nopefully

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I think we questioned his captaincy after the country club vibes culture. Almost everyone would say he is the best professional, great Canadian , great role model.

The country club culture facilitated by Jim Benning and Jon Weisbrod.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
This team basically has two physical forwards right now, 3 if you include Garland who plays his ass off but isn’t going to inflict much damage on the opposition. Tocchet needs to unleash Podkolzin in game 5.

Hey man bee stings still hurt... sometimes at least.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Yeah that’s what happens when depression goes away, you don’t just wake up like jeez I am no longer depressed. If you see anyone spacing out looking like the soul is not there, that’s not giving up, there is something wrong.
Been there done that, it f***ing sucks. I
Please don’t play armchair psychologist. Thank you.

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah that’s what happens when depression goes away, you don’t just wake up like jeez I am no longer depressed. If you see anyone spacing out looking like the soul is not there, that’s not giving up, there is something wrong.
Been there done that, it f***ing sucks. I

The problem is that this started with Pettersson at the point of the 'shocking reset' and ended the instant that the GM/coach were fired, so it also tracks that he was just pouting because he didn't like the crappy direction the team was taking.

My understanding of depression is that it isn't so simply tied to life events/career struggles and can't be flicked like a switche and that things track more along the lines of Stephane Richer nearly committing suicide the day after winning the Stanley Cup.

If Pettersson is legitimately mentally ill right now he should be in treatment. And I'm sure he would be. The fact he isn't means that he's probably not.

Reactions: Nomobo

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
You're always going to get jerks who aren't willing to acknowledge very obvious personal issues, as was the situation with Brock and his dad's illness. But who knows what the issue is with Pettersson? He's had this happen for long stretches in the past and it's getting very frustrating.

Pettersson has always been surly and over-confident in the media, while doing summer interviews with thinly veiled demands of management and publicly refusing to negotiate a contract during the season (even though 99% of negotiating is done by agents). When you combine that with his sulking demeanour and frequent lapses in effort, you have to question if he even wants to be here. This is never going to endear you to a franchise's fans and will make you the target of a lot of criticism. If the effort was there, I doubt the frustration/anger would be this palpable.
I agree with all this, it makes sense to be frustrated. I just think there's a bit of a double standard with more "acceptable" types of struggle. We knew exactly what Boeser was dealing with and even then, people were still pretty ruthless. And again, it's not even really about sympathy for me. If we're taking it from JUST a purely sports performance angle, you have an obligation to take the players mental state seriously so that they can perform at the top level. The human mind is immensely complex and complicated and it doesn't really even need a sudden tragedy to struggle with itself. Not saying Pettersson has anything like depression or anxiety, I can't know that - but this mentality is what results in invisible mental health issues that impact peoples ability to show up and perform to be so stigmatized.

I don't see Petterssons contract expectations and playoff nerves to be "excuses," and I don't like making excuses for players, anyway. I think they're plausible impositions on his ability to play at the highest level he's capable of, and it's on him and the team to work together and figure out how to get past them and overcome it. I don't think thats an unreasonable take. I want more out of him, which is why I'm interested in getting an accurate notion of what's getting in the way of him providing it and what he and the team can do to be better.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I want to go back to enjoying Leafs fans misery with playoff Marner, I don't want that to happen to us with Pettersson please. Please man, west is wide open, we have a lot of great contracts out performing, we have a chance to make noise this year. Don't make this year your Marner year... We need Pettersson!
it's not even comparable

they've been doing this cine 2017

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The country club culture facilitated by Jim Benning and Jon Weisbrod.
I mean we criticized the shit out of those 2 dumbasses. I always maintained that the club messed up his development and threw him into the leadership position too soon. He did all the public looking stuff but he didn’t know how to carry a hardworking culture for the team but people would just say, he’s a great Canadian and if we have more of that we will be good

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Overall I would agree, the majority of the fan base around here is reasonable…even when they disagree…but we do have some psychotic fans around here who aren’t able to moderate their idiocy before they hit the “post” button.

Reactions: arttk and Flik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad