GDT: WCQF GM04 | Vancouver Canucks @ Nashville Predators | Sun. Apr 28th | 2:00PM PST | SNP/CBC | Don’t Panic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Struggle != quitting on the team.
If he actually quits on the team then he would be traded because there is no way for thw rest of the team to accept anyone that has quit on the team. This is such a crazy exaggeration.

I've seen lots of players struggle. Pettersson quit on the team.

I wish I could still find that video where we won a game in OT and the players are celebrating and jumping off the bench and Pettersson was sitting there blankly staring off into space and didn't even move.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not looking to move EP or anything but I do acknowledge that if player signs himself to a big contract, he opens himself up to more scrutiny and criticism. It comes with the territory of signing that contract.

The same thing happened with Miller but he ended up matching or exceeding his contract thus far. I really don't blame fans for being critical of his play. There will naturally be a higher expectation for him.

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
Sometimes I wish the NHL had a similar "termination for poor performance" option that the rest of us employees are subject to. I.e., you could formally warn and put a clearly underperforming player on a performance improvement plan, and if they fail to demonstrate objective improvement, you can move to terminate the contract without penalty.

Could sure help inspire some less insipid performances!

Slightly tongue in cheek, of course.

Reactions: AzNightmare

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Petey needs to hit the gym in the offseason, now that he has his first taste of what real playoff action is like. He'll be fine in the long run, I think.

Doesn't help us this year, but it is what it is in that respect.
He needs to not go back to Sweden. He needs to spend a summer training with other NHL stars. Go to the Crosby/MacKinnon camp. Get yourself out of your bubble.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Part of this goes back to the discussion that was had around the Captaincy. Where Miller was out because when he's frustrated, he shows it by "trying to hard" and just doing total Bozo things.

Pettersson was out because when he's frustrated...he sulks. And it doesn't show any real outward signs that he's actually even "trying". He just looks like a zombie right now. The body language is terrible. You can visibly see the confidence is shot and he's retreating into doing very little to avoid messing up.

Which is how we ended up with Hughes, pretty much by default.
Hughes needs to step up here.

If he’s the Captain, he needs to lead by example.

I’ve said all season that Miller clearly looks like the emotional leader of the team and that’s remained true in the playoffs.

Reactions: biturbo19

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I've seen lots of players struggle. Pettersson quit on the team.

I wish I could still find that video where we won a game in OT and the players are celebrating and jumping off the bench and Pettersson was sitting there blankly staring off into space and didn't even move.
That’s call f***ing depression, that’s not called quitting on the team, it’s borderline quitting on life

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Are you really surprised that the forum is critical of a player who gave the team an ultimatum that he wanted to play for a "winner" to stay in town, only for the team to be near the top of the league the entire season in spite of him? And now up 2-1 in a series in spite of him as well?

He really hasn't ingratiated himself well with the city to have leeway when he struggles like this.
No arguments here…he’s epically underperforming and deserves every bit of heat hes taking.

Reactions: Petey O
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad