WCF | Nashville Predators Defeat the Anaheim Ducks 4 game to 2

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
FWIW, my friend is flying through LAX today and wearing a Preds shirt. He said a couple came up to him and said congratulations on the win and they're rooting for us. They hope we play Ottawa.

Not all love is lost.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Poile was quoted today as saying that chances are good or that he expects (one or the other) that Fisher will be ready for Game 1.

I dont understand when people make comments about penalties when they haven't seen a replay.... pretty obvious it hit the glass. I remember distinctly standing on my feet waiting for them tin decide their call, yelling a couple inappropriate words at the tv when there was no call, then saying "oh that's a pretty good call actually" when they showed the replay of it clearly hitting the top of the glass

In fairness, the CBC feed initially didn't show a replay of the puck hitting the glass and Garry Galley was going off on a narrative that it should've been a penalty. It wasn't until they went to a commercial break many minutes later (and after Preds scored, I believe) and came back that they made up for it by finally showing a replay of the puck hitting the glass. Having just returned from a commercial break, though, a lot of people at home may not have gotten back to their seats to see that replay.

Many Ducks fans (not all) aren't recognizing that the Preds played them at their own game and they're being called dirty for it.

That's actually a good point. The Preds have matched their opponent's game in each of the three series so far. The Hawks are skilled, not physical, so the Preds mostly beat them with speed. The Blues play a heavy, but mostly clean, physical game, so the Preds obliged with the same. Similarly, the Ducks have their brand of game and the Preds obliged by playing it, too. If there are doubts, ask Blues fans if their last opponent was this dirty in their series; then, ask Oilers fans.

FWIW, my friend is flying through LAX today and wearing a Preds shirt. He said a couple came up to him and said congratulations on the win and they're rooting for us. They hope we play Ottawa.

LA fans know what it's like to be an 8th seed that starts every series on the road and yet still takes down 3 of the top 4 teams in the West without ever facing elimination. Of course, it's just as likely that the couple in the airport wasn't even from LA, but, well, you get the point.

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
LA fans know what it's like to be an 8th seed that starts every series on the road and yet still takes down 3 of the top 4 teams in the West without ever facing elimination. Of course, it's just as likely that the couple in the airport wasn't even from LA, but, well, you get the point.
I actually meant to point out that the couple were Ducks fans.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I actually meant to point out that the couple were Ducks fans.

I should've made the connection. I just took it for a random comment, like "I was flying through Amsterdam and was congratulated, so the Dutch are cheering for us." I should've thought about it a second longer.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
It is no surprise that the Ducks are a dirty, whining team. Their leadership from coach down is pathetic. Looking forward to the ongoing Carlyle whining.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I should've made the connection. I just took it for a random comment, like "I was flying through Amsterdam and was congratulated, so the Dutch are cheering for us." I should've thought about it a second longer.
Seems amazing you didn't make that connection seeing the thread you're in but ok. Anyway, no hard feelings here to Preds.

Also lol to oiler fan above and all others.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Seems amazing you didn't make that connection seeing the thread you're in but ok. Anyway, no hard feelings here to Preds.

It seems amazing that you feel the need to rub it in after I admitted that I should've made it, but OK. FYI, LAX is much closer to LA than Anaheim, even has it in its name and I happened to have on my mind how the Preds' run has similarities with the Kings' in 2012 because it had been mentioned in a few articles and posts today.

Last edited:

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
It seems amazing that you feel the need to rub it in after I admitted that I should've made it, but OK. FYI, LAX is a long way from Anaheim and I happened to have on my mind how the Preds' run has similarities with the Kings' in 2012.
It seems amazing how you think I don't know where LAX is and how Kings apparently also lost several centers during their first cup run. What other "similarities" have you thought up? The fact they both were 8th seed is a given.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Feel good story of the playoffs for me... well this and the Oil surpassing my expectations this season. Smashville is one hell of a city with some of the most awesome people I have ever met. Reminds me of Edmonton. Awesome people but rowdy af when the puck drops. Hope you guys go all the way.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Also lol to oiler fan above and all others.

The OP about LAX didn't mention they were Ducks fans, just a couple at LAX. Regardless of what thread it is in, the assumption many would make is that the couple were Kings fans since:

- LAX is not in Orange County and more in Kings country
- They said "good luck" to the Preds
- Ducks fans out in the wild and not only on HF?

Okay. The last one was me being a dick in the event you follow the "Golden Rule".

I can't believe you have me defending Osprey.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It seems amazing how you think I don't know where LAX is and how Kings apparently also lost several centers during their first cup run. What other "similarities" have you thought up? The fact they both were 8th seed is a given.

There are other similarities, but they're beside the point and I won't go into them here because, starting with your drive-by comment earlier, you seem to be looking for a fight.

I can't believe you have me defending Osprey.

I appreciate it.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Feel good story of the playoffs for me... well this and the Oil surpassing my expectations this season. Smashville is one hell of a city with some of the most awesome people I have ever met. Reminds me of Edmonton. Awesome people but rowdy af when the puck drops. Hope you guys go all the way.
hope we win it this year cause i could see mcdavid and oilers having a similar stretch as penguins are having right now very soon.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
There are other similarities, but they're beside the point and I won't go into them here because, starting with your drive-by comment earlier, you seem to be looking for a fight.

I appreciate it.

I appreciated you mentioning in a recent post you hoped for the Ducks to lose. Seems that there is still a little bit of Kings fandom inside you somewhere.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I appreciated you mentioning in a recent post you hoped for the Ducks to lose. Seems that there is still a little bit of Kings fandom inside you somewhere.

To be clear, I didn't want the Ducks to lose the series because of dislike or because of the Kings. As you may know, despite it rankling some Kings fans (including you, I think), I cheered for the Ducks in the 2003 playoffs, because I just couldn't be bitter towards a team (even a rival) that was that likable and respectable. I couldn't join the hate parade for the 2007 team, either. The more recent Ducks teams aren't so easy to like, though that's not why I cheered against them in the last round. I did that simply because I've cheered for the Preds for over 10 years. The fact that I follow them and the Kings and there is some similarity between the runs that fans can relate to are why I drew the connection that I did earlier.

Last edited:

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
To be clear, I didn't want the Ducks to lose the series because of dislike or because of the Kings. As you may know, since it rankled some Kings fans at the time, I cheered for the Ducks in the 2003 playoffs, in spite of following the Kings, because I couldn't be bitter towards a team that was that likable and respectable. I couldn't join the hate parade for the 2007 team, either. The more recent Ducks teams aren't so easy to like, though that's not why I cheered against them in the last round. I did that simply because the Preds have been my other team for over 10 years. They and the Kings are the two teams that I follow. That, the similarity between runs (that I'd posted about in another thread shortly before) and how I believe that Kings fans can relate somewhat to this ride that Preds fans are on are why I made the connection that I did earlier.

Oh, I still hate you so no need to clarify ;)

Seriously though: I don't care why anyone cheers against the Ducks as long as they do it.

Preds are my second favorite team solely for its 3-0 all-time record in playoff series against Anaheim while never having home ice.

McLlwain

Trevor Forever
Jun 9, 2005
Cologne/Germany
Weren't people calling Johansen "CryJo" for complaining about Kesler's antics? Wasn't he supposed to be tougher and just take it because that's hockey? Losing is also "just hockey," so I really have no sympathy for Kesler being mocked after a loss. If he can dish it out he needs to be able to take it. The only thing that makes it at all different is members of the media are expected to be above the fray, which is ridiculous in this situation since the person in question is a member of the Nashville sports media. He is fully entitled to be biased towards the Predators and against the Ducks. I'd imagine he was asked to take it down after complaints.

Kesler can be upset about it (I don't know if he is or even knows about it) and Ducks fans can be upset about it, but they need to recognize that it looks awfully hypocritical to in one breath defend all of the things Keslers says and does on the ice in his role as a pest and then in the next breath complain about someone who is supposed to be an advocate of Nashville sports "mocking" that pest after losing. That's risk you take when you are that player. If you win, you get the last laugh. If you lose, you get laughed at because you brought the hate onto yourself knowingly and willfully.

Question: the only tweet I saw was one in which he claimed that he just snapped the new favorite picture of Preds fans. Was there another one, or is that the one?

Local media sure is entitled to being biased to their hometeam. But there is a huge difference between what's ok to be said / written over the course of a series as opposed to how you treat the opposition after a series ended. Especially if you won that series. What he did was kicking someone in the gut who's already down and defeated. I couldn't even imagine Jake Edwards behaving like that.

This guy made himself look like a fan holding a grudge. Even a biased member of the local media should be above that.

Fun fact: I once got into an argument with this person where he insisted that he is proud of his reputation of being particularly unbiased. So there is that.

I don't know if he was asked to delete the tweet. The backlash it generated might have done the job.

Regarding your question: Yes, that was the only one.

And to clarify: I dislike the Ducks as much as the next guy. I'm a Canucks fan happy to see Kesler not advancing to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Also, I am a local member of the media covering a DEL team here in Germany. I hold myself to a different standard.

irishsetter13

Jan 24, 2016
Local media sure is entitled to being biased to their hometeam. But there is a huge difference between what's ok to be said / written over the course of a series as opposed to how you treat the opposition after a series ended. Especially if you won that series. What he did was kicking someone in the gut who's already down and defeated. I couldn't even imagine Jake Edwards behaving like that.

This guy made himself look like a fan holding a grudge. Even a biased member of the local media should be above that.

Fun fact: I once got into an argument with this person where he insisted that he is proud of his reputation of being particularly unbiased. So there is that.

I don't know if he was asked to delete the tweet. The backlash it generated might have done the job.

Regarding your question: Yes, that was the only one.

And to clarify: I dislike the Ducks as much as the next guy. I'm a Canucks fan happy to see Kesler not advancing to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Also, I am a local member of the media covering a DEL team here in Germany. I hold myself to a different standard.

What exactly was said? I heard a lot about the comments a Nashville reporter made but everything about it has been deleted.

As to the poster before. The Ducks Media didnt come up with CryJo, I am a hundred percent sure that came from fans.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Though I agree with most of what you said, in this particular instance this member of the media didn't just chronicle or document the agony of defeat. He was mocking Kesler.

What people got worked up about - and ultimately made said media member to delete that post from his Twitter account - wasn't so much the picture itself but his comment on it. It was utterly unprofessional and did not have anything to do with covering the emotion in sports.

In deleting his tweet he got that apparently. Good for him.

Question: the only tweet I saw was one in which he claimed that he just snapped the new favorite picture of Preds fans. Was there another one, or is that the one?

TMI, that was the tweet I was remembering, but I didn't remember the quote (and I couldn't find the original tweet when researching for my original response).

As for the quote itself (and I'm presuming that TMI has paraphrased it well), it's certainly reasonable to perceive the quote, combined with the picture, as mocking.

Journalists are supposed to be objective as humanly possible when reporting. The simple fact is that's rarely the case, even among what most would consider the most respected on any beat (ie, sports, local, politics, national, etc.). And it's never been the case. If one thinks that journalism can be nasty in this day and age, research old newspaper articles around presidential and congressional elections from the late 1700's onward. It's fascinating, and a bit sad.

Eric Stephens, Ducks beat writer for the OC Register (and a great read), was taking heat from Ducks fans on Twitter on what they considered were harsher than necessary remarks about the Ducks.

In regards to media coverage, I look at the experience and overall track record of the reporter or columnist. Every single one of them will write something or espouse an opinion in which I feel is a mistake. If I happen to know to the individual, that goes into the equation as well (and I somewhat do in this case having sat on press row with him for a handful of games several years ago, and continue communication via Twitter today). A small number of what I would consider missteps does not necessary paint the whole person. Regardless, I try very hard to never make anything personal or attack an individual in any medium. Being human, I'm not always successful in that goal either.

I have no problems with the picture itself. As for the specific, paraphrased comment, I wished it was worded differently, or just been the picture alone. Had it read something along the lines of "Villainized by Johansen and Preds' fans, Kesler after Game 6...", would there have been as much outcry? Probably, even though very factual. In fact, there's a very good story in there about the illegal tactics hockey players are allowed to employ by officials and management during the playoffs and how that effects players and fans. Kesler was made a focal point of those tactics by Johansen (who, incidentally, has doubled down on those quotes just yesterday).

I wished I could say that media output is always 100% neutral, but the truth is that it almost never is in any form or on any topic.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
Who is the Nashville reporter in question here anyway? What are we talking about?

It was Jeremy Gover of 102.5 The Game and used to write the Cellblock 303 blog and sat 5 seats over from my former seats in 304 on the perch of Cellblock 303 before getting media credentials, snapping a shot of a dejected Kesler in the Ducks locker room post-game... if you go through his Twitter feed he profusely apologized and deleted the tweet and media as an error of judgement. He was a fan first and the emotions of the moment got the best of him as would many of us fans that have been there since the beginning and told till recently that we didn't deserve a team. I however did screen shot it if you really feel the need to see the pic; but I would only send it privately since it was his to post and delete publicly. I probably should delete it from my phone for karma's sake but at the time, he was the enemy and a villain from scraps with the Ducks and the Canucks that a hundred years ago, people would've paid big $$$ to see a pic of him dead, etc.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
It was Jeremy Gover of 102.5 The Game and used to write the Cellblock 303 blog and sat 5 seats over from my former seats in 304 on the perch of Cellblock 303 before getting media credentials, snapping a shot of a dejected Kesler in the Ducks locker room post-game... if you go through his Twitter feed he profusely apologized and deleted the tweet and media as an error of judgement. He was a fan first and the emotions of the moment got the best of him as would many of us fans that have been there since the beginning and told till recently that we didn't deserve a team. I however did screen shot it if you really feel the need to see the pic; but I would only send it privately since it was his to post and delete publicly. I probably should delete it from my phone for karma's sake but at the time, he was the enemy and a villain from scraps with the Ducks and the Canucks that a hundred years ago, people would've paid big $$$ to see a pic of him dead, etc.
Oh gotcha yeah I know who Gover is. I've seen the picture but honestly didn't think a whole lot about him crossing the line. Maybe that's just how de-sensitized I am because of social media. I mean the more I think about it yeah he shouldn't have done it but it didn't jump out at me as egregious until I really consider the situation and the access he's provided. I'd probably be pretty upset if I was a Ducks fan though.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver

Not all love is lost.

I have had a Preds magnet on the side of my car for ~6 years and live in downtown DC; over the past few days, I've had several people honk at me, wave, or stop by my open window and wish us luck. It's an odd sensation, especially since I have never once received a comment about it prior to us making the finals.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Oh gotcha yeah I know who Gover is. I've seen the picture but honestly didn't think a whole lot about him crossing the line. Maybe that's just how de-sensitized I am because of social media. I mean the more I think about it yeah he shouldn't have done it but it didn't jump out at me as egregious until I really consider the situation and the access he's provided. I'd probably be pretty upset if I was a Ducks fan though.

Unless there was a no photo policy in the locker room what is the problem? I have seen plenty of dejected players and players celebrating in locker room pictures before. What was the caption?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: