Series Talk: WCF: Dallas Stars vs Edmonton Oilers (EDM Leads 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Dallas Stars in 4

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Dallas Stars in 5

Votes: 211 23.8%
  • Dallas Stars in 6

Votes: 259 29.3%
  • Dallas Stars in 7

Votes: 45 5.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 4

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 5

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 6

Votes: 160 18.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 7

Votes: 128 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
images.png

Who y'all got?!

Dallas Stars (1C) vs. Edmonton Oilers (2P)

Western Conference Final

Game 1: Oilers at Stars -- May 23, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 2: Oilers at Stars -- May 25, 8 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 3: Stars at Oilers -- May 27, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 4: Stars at Oilers -- May 29, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ Game 5: Oilers at Stars -- May 31, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 6: Stars at Oilers -- June 2, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 7: Oilers at Stars -- June 4, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ if necessary

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sports2 and Tofveve

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
The top 4 is really strong this year no surprise if both series go 7.
I would not have agreed with this sentiment before this series started but the Oilers look like they are ready to give the Stars a real fight......I had Dallas taking this rather easily in 5-6 but I am not so sure now.....

Reactions: Luc Labelle

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I would not have agreed with this sentiment before this series started but the Oilers look like they are ready to give the Stars a real fight......I had Dallas taking this rather easily in 5-6 but I am not so sure now.....

Even knowing Hintz was going to miss time?

I would have had Dallas in 5 or 6 with Hintz but certainly not without him. Being able to go to Edmonton tied right now is a win for Dallas

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Oilers had a shit start to season. They changed coaches on November 12th.

Since November 12th - the best regular season teams were:

1. Oilers
2 & 3 tied. Jets and Stars
4 & 5 tied. Rangers and Panthers

The Oilers are obviously way more top heavy than the other 3 conference finalists, but I don't understand this narrative that they aren't a good team. They've been a great team with new coach.

Since November 12th, Oilers are:

#1 for points
#1 for points %
#1 wins
#2 for goals for
#3 6 for goals against
#3 for power play
#7 for PK
#1 for shots
#5 for shots against
#3 for faceoffs

They are #1 in leage in every important category, and among top in league for every other important metric.

If you want to argue Dallas is a better team or think they will win, fine. As you saw - all 4 conference finalists were among top teams all year, so they're all really good. But to suggest Edmonton is somehow a team that stands out as weaker than the rest is ludicrous. All 4 are great teams who can legitimately win the cup this year.
For sure.
But I don't think anyone denied any of that Or was unaware. Gong from 30th to a play off spot takes a great record.
Also the last two play offs Oilers fell to great Cup winning teams. And were not exactly easy outs.
Then why the skepticism? One reason. Goaltending.
Skinner may get it done this year......but if he does .....it will have been predicted byvery few.....if any.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Oilers had a shit start to season. They changed coaches on November 12th.

Since November 12th - the best regular season teams were:

1. Oilers
2 & 3 tied. Jets and Stars
4 & 5 tied. Rangers and Panthers

The Oilers are obviously way more top heavy than the other 3 conference finalists, but I don't understand this narrative that they aren't a good team. They've been a great team with new coach.

Since November 12th, Oilers are:

#1 for points
#1 for points %
#1 wins
#2 for goals for
#3 6 for goals against
#3 for power play
#7 for PK
#1 for shots
#5 for shots against
#3 for faceoffs

They are #1 in leage in every important category, and among top in league for every other important metric.

If you want to argue Dallas is a better team or think they will win, fine. As you saw - all 4 conference finalists were among top teams all year, so they're all really good. But to suggest Edmonton is somehow a team that stands out as weaker than the rest is ludicrous. All 4 are great teams who can legitimately win the cup this year.

Skinner will need to keep playing how he's playing and a couple depth guys will have to step up. Like Shaq said in the NBA, he didn't win because of himself or Kobe, they won because of the role guys like Derek Fisher who stepped up huge. Everyone knew what Shaq and Kobe were capable of, if its the other guys could pull their weight.

Main point it's the depth guys and IMO Skinner who will ultimately decide how far the Oilers go. Despite the loss last night, if he continues to play like that I don't think anyone can stop the Oilers. Dallas was lucky to survive that first period and there was some huge saves on both sides. If Skinner continues to play like this, Oilers will take the series and maybe the cup, if he reverts back to how he played in the last couple rounds then I don't like their chances.

We all know what McDavid + Drai + Hyman are going to do, can the other guys do what's needed ?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Dallas is the better team. Edmonton needs the PP to have a chance.
I really don't see how you could watch these games and say that. These two couldn't be more evenly matched in terms of flow of play. The Oilers win didn't have any PP goals this series. But you have a point in that if the whistles weren't put away, that Dallas would have little chance in this series

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Skinner will need to keep playing how he's playing and a couple depth guys will have to step up. Like Shaq said in the NBA, he didn't win because of himself or Kobe, they won because of the role guys like Derek Fisher who stepped up huge. Everyone knew what Shaq and Kobe were capable of, if its the other guys could pull their weight.

Main point it's the depth guys and IMO Skinner who will ultimately decide how far the Oilers go. Despite the loss last night, if he continues to play like that I don't think anyone can stop the Oilers. Dallas was lucky to survive that first period and there was some huge saves on both sides. If Skinner continues to play like this, Oilers will take the series and maybe the cup, if he reverts back to how he played in the last couple rounds then I don't like their chances.

We all know what McDavid + Drai + Hyman are going to do, can the other guys do what's needed ?
Last night we did have depth scoring but no top end scoring, although yes they did have the best chances.

But imo the game plan still should be to have the bottom six focus on defense, and let the top six carry the offense. Of course if the Stars open lanes up for you, by all means take it, but the bottom six shouldn't be pinching and gambling unless we are down a couple goals.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Skinner is the weak link. Nobody can deny that. Ha! even he knows it.

Put Shesterkin on the Oil and they are winning multiple cups.
Where Rangers won't win one with him.
Oilers are that good outside the crease.
Adding an elite level player like that to any team would get them a cup, isn't exclusive to Edmonton. Add McDavid to to say Carolina or the Rangers, they're winning multiple cups. Add Makar to Vegas they're winning multiple cups.

It doesn't really mean anything.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Adding an elite level player like that to any team would get them a cup, isn't exclusive to Edmonton. Add McDavid to to say Carolina or the Rangers, they're winning multiple cups. Add Makar to Vegas they're winning multiple cups.

It doesn't really mean anything.
Not with their goaltending situation.

Rangers-absolutely. Imo, Rangers have a low end-#2 C who shouldn't be the #1C on a cup contending team. Thus far, Barkov has severely outplayed him. McDavid on NY, Definitely would win them a cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: AvroArrow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad