WAY TOO EARLY CALDER PREDICTION

Who will win the Calder trophy this year?

• Someone else, who I made a case for in my own reply further into this thread

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matvei Michkov

Votes: 41 50.6%
  • Macklin Celebrini

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Logan Stankoven

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Rutger McGroarty

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Will Smith

• Seamus Casey

• Lane Hutson

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Josh Doan

• Dustin Wolf

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Yaroslav Askarov

• Jesper Wallstedt

• Arturs Silovs

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Coffee

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
Michkov. Though would not be surprised if Silovs or Celebrini wins it either
So I'll go with Silovs just so in the event he wins I can I have gotcha moment

Last edited:

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I'm going with Hutson, to the surprise of nobody

The dude is PPG, and already Play 20+ minutes per Game. He doesn't even have 10 Games of experience and he's already arguably our best defensemen (or second, if you rank Guhle above him)

Sky is the limit for the kid

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
With Celebrini's injury, I have to think the below three will be the favorites (with my projected 82 game paces):

1. Michkov 27g 72p
2. Hutson 9g 53p
3. Stankoven 22g 64p

If it goes something like the above, I think it'll be Michkov's to lose, though I could see a scenario where a guy like Stankoven steals a bunch of the forward votes, so the Calder goes to Hutson (similar to 2014-15 when one of Stone or Gaudreau should have won, but since they were tied in scoring.they split the forward vote, so it went to Ekblad).

Hutson should lead all rookie d in scoring by a healthy margin, as the field is fairly weak and he's likely to be given a long leash with tons of offensive opportunities (and he's obviously freakin talented). Casey is probably the only rookie D who could realistically contend with Hutson, if only he were on a team with a weaker D core. But since he's in NJ, he's unlikely to get the opportunity to play a starring role unless there are injuries.

One dark horse who isn't listed that I think could surprise is Jackson Blake. He's a really crafty player who plays with pace and reads the play incredibly well - not unlike Jarvis. I don't think he's gotten nearly enough attention for how good he's been in the last 2 years at UND. After a team leading 42 points as a freshmen (including an impressive WJC showing), he dropped 60 points last year as a sophomore, when no one else on the team scored 40. There aren't a lot of guys capable of that.

He looked awesome the other night vs NJ, and I think odds are good that he's able to translate that offensive touch to the NHL. And with some of the notable offensive departures in Carolina, I could definitely imagine a scenario where he plays himself into the Canes top 6 and finishes with 50+ points.

60% Michkov
20% Celebrini
20% Stankoven
defenseman won't win calder, zero chance
Why not?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Lol. Seider, Makar and Ekblad have all won it as defenders in the past decade alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad