Way too early 2023 redraft (picks 4-13)

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I think there’s an argument because Lafreniere proved he could be a great player in games that matter.

That being said I’d still rank Stutzle first

Raymond literally dragged Detroit's dead carcass through the last quarter of the season and nearly kept them in the playoffs lol.

To his credit, Lafreniere has brought his stock back up and can continue to do so, but right now it's still Stutzle and Raymond as the top 2.

Reactions: majormajor

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
This is just not correct.

He’s the most cerebral player from his draft not currently in the NHL, and maybe the best passer out of the whole class. He is a smidge small, he’s not slow, and he is the play driver on his line.
More cerebral than Michkov? not even close

No Calum Ritchie or Mikhail Gulyayev?

Ok. This thread won’t hold up well.
You think either of them go top 13???

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
It’s way too early to predict. For example Benson was drafted #13 and already has 23 points in 59 NHL games. Other than the big three he is the only one to play in the NHL.

Therefore he should be #4 on everyone’s list. See it is way too early to judge.
Yeah, that's not how that works at all lol. Near PPG in KHL >>> .40 PPG IN NHL

Michkov makes quick decisions in an awesomely dangerous way.

He isn’t as good a playmaker as Perrault.

Michkov is the better player, for sure.
I love Perreault, one of my favorite players in the draft.

He's not a better playmaker than Michkov and I don't see how it's even debatable. Michkov has generational vision, he plays the game like it's Playstation with a birdseye view

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Not to discredit anythjng you are saying, just wanted to point out that this year as an 18 year old Benson was an above average top 9 forward by every measure.

Positive corsi
Positive fenwick
Scored 2 less ES points than Perron, and 5 less than Knies with less overall toi
+11 giveaway takeaway ratio
12 points in his final 17 games when his ice tjme started to climb
PDO was low, if he evens out his year would have been even better

An even PDO and decent PP time would have him at 45-50 points as a rookie on the 22nd scoring team in the NHL

I think he has top line wing all over him, and that’s hard to put below top 6 in a redraft
Agree with everything you're saying, my opinion isn't a knock on Benson who I'm very high on. It's a tribute to Perreault who I think is on a completely different level with IQ and sense. Both should be top line wingers

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Calum Ritchie was in my top-10, and of course he’d be there in this redraft. 1,6 PPG in regular season, 30 playoff points and stron pro-ready game - and all of this after injury, which ate early season and took some time after.
It's weird to me how many people look past Benson.

Everybody gives Carlsson and Fantilli a pass as 2/3, then sandwiches in all their favourites before they get to Benson. But how much better were those guys last year than Benson?

Does anyone seriously think Perreault's 60 points in the NCAA last year is more impressive than Benson's 30 in the NHL?

The knock on Benson pre-draft was his size. Well guess what, he's as small as he will ever be and he is already in the NHL. I guess size isn't really an issue.

One-year later redrafts are always difficult because everybody improves, and people tend to get excited about their guy's improvement and look past everyone else's.

Objectively, 4 guys made the NHL last year and Benson was one of them. That, in and of itself should not be overlooked.

Look at his peers:
Benson only played in the NHL because buffalo drafted him. Zero chance he plays in the NHL last year if the Rangers drafted him. And yes, Perreault had a more impressive year in ncaa than Benson did in the NHL

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don’t think these should be assessed so close to the picks being made. Let the picks play out. Give it a few years.

But the one name I’m not seeing a lot of is Perreault. He literally leads the NCAA in points per game. Dude isn’t 5’4 with the worst skating ever. He’s 5’11 and an iffy skater at worst.

Putting aside for a second what slot he should go in I’m not sure what the argument is that remains against him that doesn’t apply to all players who’ve yet to reach the NHL and show that what they do at levels below the NHL will translate to the NHL.
Fair enough but Pereault is also playing with some excellent players and no one really know how any of them translate into the NHL better or worse than current projections. which leads to your first point one year out is really way too early.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fair enough but Pereault is also playing with some excellent players and no one really know how any of them translate into the NHL better or worse than current projections. which leads to your first point one year out is really way too early.
The player I would be questioning if he translates as a high level NHL’er is Leonard. He’s the one who consistently has lower point totals of the three.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The player I would be questioning if he translates as a high level NHL’er is Leonard. He’s the one who consistently has lower point totals of the three.
Hard to say for me Leonard is a type of prospect who has more real NHL value potential than fantasy hockey potential but it still all has to shake out.

Bonk was the clear best player for London, a team that included Dickinson, Cowan and Barkey.

Perreault
Bonk
Musty

Are the 3 biggest risers in a redraft
What?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Why is it that Perreault it playing with other great players but never those players playing with Perrault? Currently in the NHL you're hearing that with Panarin and Lafreniere but at least Panarin's production is significantly higher. Perreault's production is even with Will Smith and higher than Leonard. Yet it's always questioned whether Perreault is the guy that's mooching but no one ever questions anyone else?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad