OT: Way off topic - Lawn care

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
Getting close to giving up with lawns. Every spring, soil, seed, fertalizer, weeding, watering. Summer comss and I just dont want to spend the money runming the water as much as needed. Dies, winter comes. Spring time, rinse & repeat. Scotts must love it.
I got grubs last year, think it came from the house to house aerators.

Green lush lawn is a serious hobby, feed & seed your lawn and keep it well watered. Leave the cut longer in the summer to protect the roots.

Herping Derps*

I'm a landscape contractor, so here are a few tips

1) Try all clover (as someone else mentioned). Its a plant that fixes nitrogen in the soil, so it doesn't need fertilizing, an will only require mowing once a month at most. If not all clover, nothing wrong with a bit in your lawn (though not in patches), to ease up on the need to feed (and thereby, have a nice green lawn)

2) Soil compaction. If you have a terrible, compacted base, there is no air in the soil for micropre exchange of gasses and water. See if they can/you can aerate it. Builders provide cheap ****** soil, especially in sub divisions, and it makes a lawn super resource intensive.

3) Pick your seed properly. Your average mow and blow outfit, or builder, will supply your typical "sunshine mix". Depending on your sun/shade/water requirements, you may need a deeper rooted variety, a finer fescue, etc....

4) remove old lawn, start over: you can either a) head to quebec and grab some herbicide or b) solarize your lawn (google it) which entails eiher laying a big tarp, or newspaper over the spots to kill, and then re-seeding (which I prefer, its cheaper, and you can tailor the seed)

5) Lastly, your lawn is the most high maintenance thing you have. To keep one looking good, it needs at a minimum a rotation of either a) overseeding b) aeration or c) fertilization. For the few primo lawns I have, we to all three every year, and they look sweet.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, or PM me.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
Grubs are a disaster. An absolute disaster. We have nothing to kill them now and then the real problem is skunks. A skunk has absolutely FEASTED on my grubs the past couple of years. He tears the law to ribbons.

Jerk Store*

I'm a landscape contractor, so here are a few tips

1) Try all clover (as someone else mentioned). Its a plant that fixes nitrogen in the soil, so it doesn't need fertilizing, an will only require mowing once a month at most. If not all clover, nothing wrong with a bit in your lawn (though not in patches), to ease up on the need to feed (and thereby, have a nice green lawn)

2) Soil compaction. If you have a terrible, compacted base, there is no air in the soil for micropre exchange of gasses and water. See if they can/you can aerate it. Builders provide cheap ****** soil, especially in sub divisions, and it makes a lawn super resource intensive.

3) Pick your seed properly. Your average mow and blow outfit, or builder, will supply your typical "sunshine mix". Depending on your sun/shade/water requirements, you may need a deeper rooted variety, a finer fescue, etc....

4) remove old lawn, start over: you can either a) head to quebec and grab some herbicide or b) solarize your lawn (google it) which entails eiher laying a big tarp, or newspaper over the spots to kill, and then re-seeding (which I prefer, its cheaper, and you can tailor the seed)

5) Lastly, your lawn is the most high maintenance thing you have. To keep one looking good, it needs at a minimum a rotation of either a) overseeding b) aeration or c) fertilization. For the few primo lawns I have, we to all three every year, and they look sweet.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, or PM me.

Great tips! And much appreciated. I'll PM you tomorrow if that's okay :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad