OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part VIIII: Nine lives, cat's eyes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I saw it in the store the other day and I was thinking about grabbing it, but I'm really not sure how I feel about this Ultra Copacetic remaster. Here's the original mix:

And here's the remaster:

Sure, the drums sound fuller and everything's less compressed, but I find it less charming and the vocals feel completely out of place. Am I crazy or did they mess this up? It's a shame, I would have loved a copy of this one but not if it sounds this off.

I've had that album since it came out, and I know that song like the back of my hand. I totally agree with you - something is off. It's like they removed the fuzziness, and that left it sounding hollow.

Reactions: mja

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I've had that album since it came out, and I know that song like the back of my hand. I totally agree with you - something is off. It's like they removed the fuzziness, and that left it sounding hollow.
I have both Copacetic and Simpatico on cassette, and the EP on CD. VG was one of the first bands that really sent me off in a different direction from what was going on with the grungy early / mid-90's Alternative scene, so this one would have been nice.

I still have all of my old cassettes but I've been slowly picking up newer remasters on vinyl and then giving my Gen Z daughter - she inherited my taste in music - the old cassettes, because the kids are cosplaying being 80's / 90's kids and own tape decks and shit. I might still do it, I've seen some comments that the vinyl sounds a lot better than the streaming version, or I can just try to grab an original copy shipping from Europe for like $100 or whatever.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Great news everyone

IMG_7369.jpeg

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Been listening to a lot of Beth Hart lately, love her voice. Her most recent release was an album of Led Zeppelin covers and she did a fabulous job with them. You can find a lot of her live performances for free on YouTube, they’re well worth a listen!

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Went to the Leprous show in Toronto on Wednesday. Wow. They are amazing live, and the venue was perfect. 900 capacity, we were dead centre.

If any of you are remotely interested in that style of music, I highly recommend seeing them on this tour. They're in Philly on September 15th at Union Transfer.

Also just picked up tix for Dream Theater at Radio City Music Hall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad