New Model Army - Western Dream

Gather round and listen and I'll tell you how's it's done
How they manage to make idiots out of everyone
Take a human population with their hunger and their pain
And the weaknesses that cripple them again and again
Invent a splendid party where dreams can be won
And with bright flashing lights, the heartaches are gone
With sex and with money and with everything for free
Then show tantalising glimpses every night on TV.
Watch the dirty hands that laboured hard for you
Stretching out like children for a crumb that they can chew
Give a car and video and a little bit to spare
And go on promising that more could all be theirs

It seems to me sometimes there's only two ways to choose
In this whirlpool made of a thousands years
Either live in these ghettos and know your place
Or you trample over everyone in the human race
I wish we could find another way to go
Without the Ghost of Cain in everything we do
The bitterness in failure and the dirt in success
This is our choice, This is our choice

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I thought an interesting one to ask would be...

first single and first album? And backstory to both.

Single: Cecilia, Suggs from Madness (on CD)

I guess I was ~5 years old. It was released in 1996. My parents were Madness fans and Simon and Garfunkel fans and when I heard it on the radio I just wanted it played again, and again, and again... so they took me to the shops and with my pocket money and some of theirs I bought it.

Album: Incesticide, Nirvana (on tape)

Yeh... it is a compilation not a studio album. But whatever. I imagine I was like ~8 years old. I went to the city with my Mum. I remember she was in a weird but good mood. Like super happy and even more outgoing than usual.

She basically told me I needed to start listening to good music and find music of my own. So she said that I had £15 to get a walkman... I really wanted a CD player but I could not afford one haha so got a tape player. So we went to loads of record shops and I got a player for like ~£12. I had some money left so we went to a shop that had bargain tapes. She picked a few out for me to look at and I played them on the deck in the shop to see what I liked.

Basically it came down to "Never Mind the Bollocks" and "Incesticide"... but I was scared to pick the first one as I knew bollocks was swearing and was weirdly worried she would tell me off. So picked Incesticide hahahahahaha.

I fell in love with Nirvana after that for the next ~5 years.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
My first album was " The Chirping Crickets/ Buddy Holley. " The second song on the album was "Not Fade Away" with the Bo Diddley backbeat. One of the Rolling Stones first single was a cover of this song. Buddy's version with the jangling strat was better.

I think the last contempary non classical cd I purchased was Napalm Death.

Reactions: Appleyard

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

First single is easy:

Technically, this was the Smells Like Teen Spirit single, but the only reason I bought it was Even In His Youth on the b-side. I was already becoming a Nirvana completist by early 1992. By 93, I was making a fair bit of pocket change selling Nirvana bootleg cassettes.

First album is harder. I think it would either have been the Back to the Future soundtrack or The Bangles' Different Light. I remember listening to the BttF soundtrack a ton at night before I went to bed. As for the Bangles, Susanna Hoffs really did something for pre-pubescent me that I don't think I quite understood at the time.

Reactions: pit and Appleyard

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

Single: Cecilia, Suggs from Madness (on CD)

I guess I was ~5 years old. It was released in 1996. My parents were Madness fans and Simon and Garfunkel fans and when I heard it on the radio I just wanted it played again, and again, and again... so they took me to the shops and with my pocket money and some of theirs I bought it.

Album: Incesticide, Nirvana (on tape)

Yeh... it is a compilation not a studio album. But whatever. I imagine I was like ~8 years old. I went to the city with my Mum. I remember she was in a weird but good mood. Like super happy and even more outgoing than usual.

She basically told me I needed to start listening to good music and find music of my own. So she said that I had £15 to get a walkman... I really wanted a CD player but I could not afford one haha so got a tape player. So we went to loads of record shops and I got a player for like ~£12. I had some money left so we went to a shop that had bargain tapes. She picked a few out for me to look at and I played them on the deck in the shop to see what I liked.

Basically it came down to "Never Mind the Bollocks" and "Incesticide"... but I was scared to pick the first one as I knew bollocks was swearing and was weirdly worried she would tell me off. So picked Incesticide hahahahahaha.

I fell in love with Nirvana after that for the next ~5 years.

The first music I ever bought with my own money was the American Idiot album and I'm not even a little bit embarrassed. All time banger.

macleish1974

Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
The first album I ever bought with my own money was the Beavies & Butthead Do America soundtrack on cassette. Also not embarassed.
Hey, my first 45 was Blueberry Hill by Fats Domino in 1956......not embarrassed at all either. I am still enthralled with girl groups of the early 60s. The Shangri-Las were the opening act in NYC for the Rolling Stones. Keith was scared of them. A few of them carried .38 pocket revolvers in their handbags. What do expect, they came from a very rough neighborhood in Queens. Mary is still alive her sister Betty is dead. The twins are dead. YT has a good video of them all dolled up in leather and boots singing their signature song, Leader of the Pack.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hey, my first 45 was Blueberry Hill by Fats Domino in 1956......not embarrassed at all either. I am still enthralled with girl groups of the early 60s. The Shangri-Las were the opening act in NYC for the Rolling Stones. Keith was scared of them. A few of them carried .38 pocket revolvers in their handbags. What do expect, they came from a very rough neighborhood in Queens. Mary is still alive her sister Betty is dead. The twins are dead. YT has a good video of them all dolled up in leather and boots singing their signature song, Leader of the Pack.

Shangri-Las are underrated. Walkin In the Sand is a gem. I think Scorcese used it in Goodfellas if i'm not mistaken.

I have some Fats Domino on vinyl. My overall record collection is up to 364 and growing monthly.

macleish1974

Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Random on YT

Allah-Las...
cross between Smithereens , Dream Syndicate and Romantics

Brian Jonestown Massacre, song was Anemone, kind of cool group. Not sure of the fascination/connection with the dead Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones. They don't sound like them at all.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Random on YT

Allah-Las...
cross between Smithereens , Dream Syndicate and Romantics

Brian Jonestown Massacre, song was Anemone, kind of cool group. Not sure of the fascination/connection with the dead Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones. They don't sound like them at all.
You ever see the documentary Dig? The guy from BJM is a complete dick haha. Dropkicked a fan in the face at a show for seemingly no reason.

Reactions: macleish1974

macleish1974

Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Random from YT again

Night Beats

Mystic Braves

Froth

I had to laugh though, I thought I heard riffs from the Animals and one was a direct Rip off from of all the songs in the universe: Mony, Mony from Tommy James and the Shondells. A fun song from mid 60s.

It got so random, I wound up with the queen of early country Kitty Wells...
Go figure...

Attachments

• Alsyvox-value-proposition (1).pdf
    763.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Brochure_lakme_en.pdf
    609.4 KB · Views: 1
  • datastream.pdf
    267.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Geometry-Spec-Sheet-2016.pdf
    35.9 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.