Proposal: Washington - Vancouver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
It's hard to make a reasonable comment when "conditional pick" could be anything from:

a first round pick if Orlov plays more than 20+ NHL games in 2016-17

to

a seventh round pick if Orlov wins the Norris Trophy.

Obviously there's an awfully wide range there.

I don't mind the idea of him coming to the Canucks, though they would really then have a logjam on defence and need to move someone. Currently they've got Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Larsen, Biega and Pedan all waiver-eligible as well as Hutton who is exempt from waivers but is pretty much a lock to remain with the Canucks again. That's assuming Juolevi, Nilsson, Billins, Subban etc aren't NHL regulars in 2016/17.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Washington's going to have some cap decisions to make next year. Cheaper players like Orlov probably have a lot of value to them right now.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
As a Canucks fan yes. But we have such a logjam on D we would have to waive multiple players so I'd hesitate. Maybe you guys take Sbisa back? :)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Canucks need scoring first and foremost, if were trading a 2nd rounder I would hope that would be what were looking for. Our top 4 is set on the blueline.

Orlov brings scoring as an offensive defenseman. He skates very well, has a cannon of a shot and he can dangle like a skilled forward.

Unfortunately for the Canucks, he's not for sale.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hell no orlov is not worth a 2nd

This is one of those times where researching the subject matter is a good idea. Orlov as mentioned was top 10 in the league for even strenth points on defense. Considering most of the other 9 were lead defensemen and Orlov largely played on the 3rd pair, thats quite an accomplishment.

The Caps would not trade Orlov for a 2nd round pick.

edit: He is also a 1st pp unit shooter on a team that can use a left handed point man. The Caps cant.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
This is one of those times where researching the subject matter is a good idea. Orlov as mentioned was top 10 in the league for even strenth points on defense. Considering most of the other 9 were lead defensemen and Orlov largely played on the 3rd pair, thats quite an accomplishment.

The Caps would not trade Orlov for a 2nd round pick.

edit: He is also a 1st pp unit shooter on a team that can use a left handed point man. The Caps cant.

They can, they just choose not to. No reason Orlov can't man the point on PP2 and not have Ovie skate for all two minutes of PP time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They can, they just choose not to. No reason Orlov can't man the point on PP2 and not have Ovie skate for all two minutes of PP time.

They choose not to because A. Ov is a better option. B. The rest of pp2 structure is still set up for right hand shooters. Further, I said he is a pp1 player on a team that can use a left shot point man. On the Caps pp1 they dont. They wont. Period

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
You're right. 25 year old defensemen with multiple years of team control left that are coming off a season in which they were top 10 in even-strength scoring at their position are worth a 1st.

A 25 year old defender only has 2 RFA seasons max left. Not much team control, i can say my team has the same amount of time left of team control over Alex Edler's contract as its locked in.
Orlov may be worth a 2nd to you guys, the Canucks just spent more on a Top4 guy to solidify our Top4. We also have 4 other NHL defenceman signed.
Any defence coming in rather has to fall below the most likely chosen in expansion as we have our 3D to protect and those guys are usually dime a dozen players signed for peanuts in August every year.
If anything we lack a true 2RW to keep Jake from getting Bo'd and thrown to the wolves on the 2nd line. I'd work a deal around Hansen and the 2nd for a RW. A team with slight cap problems would be ideal, as usually that's how you can grab better players for depth and cap space and draft picks

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad