GDT: Washington Go Gos vs Nashville Honky Tonks - 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If Carlson is out for more than a couple of games, we could see Alexyev. He played Friday night but scratched on Saturday. But he can only have 5 games in AHL before he must come to Caps or clear waivers.
To be more precise Alexyev can play 3 game with Hershey for conditioning and then he has to be called back to the Caps. There is an exception, where the Caps can request the league to extend Alexyev's conditioning stint for an additional 2 games.

Reactions: DWGie26

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I wasn't able to watch the game so here is a different kind of take. I watched extended highlights (9 mins) and reviewed the box score in the best Twabby tradition. Leaving myself open to ridicule and derision but as long as it's justified then fair enough.

Looks like Kuemper had an absolute stunner and at the very least kept it from going to OT as a 3-3 tie
Saros played really well but he let in the ones that Kuemper didn't

Caps looked to have a few open / breakaway opportunities but couldn't finish. Guys who need to be scoring had chances to score - maybe Saros robbed them or maybe they weren't great shots?

Strome needs to get his shit together as far as facoffs go: won 4 lost 11 26% success is not gonna cut it.

As I said only saw the highlights but did the team actually play better after Carlson left the ice?? I wouldn't want to say the same about TJ - but Carlson I could def see it

Good to see our young guys scoring goals. Glad Ovie got a goal - empty net wgaf he's earned the right to a few of those (still less than Gretzky woot!)

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
watching highlights again... not changing goalies a couple of years ago looks like a big blunder totally. ofc hindsight...

but better late than never I guess.

first goal for beck?!

Reactions: Drakon

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
This is like the start of last season when the kids were forced to play due to injuries to the old guard. I liked it then and i liked it now.

Nice to see how good goaltending can win you games where you play quite poorly. Nice to see Ovi getting a goal and interesting if Osh and Carlson are out, we might get a good look at CMM and Iorio then. Maybe Milano aswell.

But the injury proneness of this team is off the charts. We basically have 4/6 of the top 6 out. And the #1 D who is also the PP QB.

Let's just roll with it and let the hungry kids infuse the Washington Geriatrics with some med meds

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
But the injury proneness of this team is off the charts. We basically have 4/6 of the top 6 out. And the #1 D who is also the PP QB.
Dunno if this counts the Wilson and Backstrom injuries, but ignoring them I think this is just the nature of having an old team. They were generally ironmans for years, at some point that generally gives. Just the nature of having a very old team.

Reactions: YippieKaey

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Great win, certainly unexpected given their struggles in Nashville and injuries early on. Good effort and great performance by Kuemper.

Defense seems much tighter with Carlson out... sad how far he has fallen defensively. In terms of Oshie it seemed to be only a matter of time. Next man in.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
What was the play that Oshie got hurt on? I feel like that ice was really terrible last night. Tons of falls. Carlson definitely caught a rut when he sailed into the boards

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014

Somebody said Oshie was hurt on a PP retrieval play, and while you can't see the actual injury occur, you can see the result on the highlight going from about 1:14 to about 1:23, as Nashville goes on a shorthanded rush and Oshie comes back but can only glide instead of stride.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I wasn't able to watch the game so here is a different kind of take. I watched extended highlights (9 mins) and reviewed the box score in the best Twabby tradition. Leaving myself open to ridicule and derision but as long as it's justified then fair enough.

Looks like Kuemper had an absolute stunner and at the very least kept it from going to OT as a 3-3 tie
Saros played really well but he let in the ones that Kuemper didn't

Caps looked to have a few open / breakaway opportunities but couldn't finish. Guys who need to be scoring had chances to score - maybe Saros robbed them or maybe they weren't great shots?

Strome needs to get his shit together as far as facoffs go: won 4 lost 11 26% success is not gonna cut it.

As I said only saw the highlights but did the team actually play better after Carlson left the ice?? I wouldn't want to say the same about TJ - but Carlson I could def see it

Good to see our young guys scoring goals. Glad Ovie got a goal - empty net wgaf he's earned the right to a few of those (still less than Gretzky woot!)
It was quite a goaltending battle, for sure. There were plenty of high danger opportunities given up both ways.

Calrson situation will be very interesting to watch, if he ends up missing time. Can't tell much from one game. The team obviously needs the positives that he brings but there is no denying that he is the leader of the boneheads. Perhaps his absence will allow the rest of the group to establish a higher base line of attention to detail and disciplined decision making.

Reactions: PlushMinus

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Dunno if this counts the Wilson and Backstrom injuries, but ignoring them I think this is just the nature of having an old team. They were generally ironmans for years, at some point that generally gives. Just the nature of having a very old team.
no doubt we have been crushed with injuries the last couple of years. I think the old man injuries are really more about Backstrom and Oshie. Wilson is 28 and had a knee injury Like many young players. Hags was mostly healthy and fell apart. Brown is under 30 and had knee injury. Carlson has a lot of miles on him but him and OV really have been healthy for years. At some point they will be dealing with nagging injuries. That is why the depth is important.

This is like the start of last season when the kids were forced to play due to injuries to the old guard. I liked it then and i liked it now.

Nice to see how good goaltending can win you games where you play quite poorly. Nice to see Ovi getting a goal and interesting if Osh and Carlson are out, we might get a good look at CMM and Iorio then. Maybe Milano aswell.

Let's just roll with it and let the hungry kids infuse the Washington Geriatrics with some med meds
The young guys always give good short term energy. It is the long haul where they struggle until they get more tread on them. Seems to me like Malenstyn and Protas will be the two youngins who get a lot of games this year which is different than the two I would have guessed before the season started. Last year it was McMichael and Fever (And Snively to some extent). So we are appropriately interjecting youth Without going full on rebuild with nothing but youngersters.

Reactions: YippieKaey

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
no doubt we have been crushed with injuries the last couple of years. I think the old man injuries are really more about Backstrom and Oshie. Wilson is 28 and had a knee injury Like many young players. Hags was mostly healthy and fell apart. Brown is under 30 and had knee injury. Carlson has a lot of miles on him but him and OV really have been healthy for years. At some point they will be dealing with nagging injuries. That is why the depth is important.
Brown was kind of a freak accident, along with Wilson, so i won't hold that against them but last few years Oshie, Carlson, and Backstrom have all been nursing some ache or pain pretty consistently.

We also just had years of fortuitous luck with injuries, it hurt us in not being forced to graduate prospetcs, but helped in team cohesion. Those chickens have just finally come home to roost.

Reactions: Drakon

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
watching highlights again... not changing goalies a couple of years ago looks like a big blunder totally. ofc hindsight...

but better late than never I guess.

first goal for beck?!

Well they signed Lundqvist for a reason, it just didn't work out for them. They gave the "All kids" goalie tandem one year to see if they could grow, and moved on when neither of them didn't. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Kemper has been amazing, and I feel like even if he gets hurt (he's not historically an iron man) then Charley Mustache or whatever the eff his nickname is, will also be solid.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Well they signed Lundqvist for a reason, it just didn't work out for them. They gave the "All kids" goalie tandem one year to see if they could grow, and moved on when neither of them didn't. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Kemper has been amazing, and I feel like even if he gets hurt (he's not historically an iron man) then Charley Mustache or whatever the eff his nickname is, will also be solid.
Ironic part to this? The old man they signed to replace Lundqvist — Craig Anderson — who barely played……. Has been lights out since.

This year? SSS (small sample size), he’s top 5 in GAA and Save %.

So, yeah.

Reactions: PlushMinus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad