NFL: Washington Football Team now the Washington Commanders

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Jacqueline Keeler

In other words, bitter activist who says polls are garbage if they don't somehow check the racial purity of respondents.
If you're pointing to what people of a certain race say in a poll, I think digging into what the pollster did to come up with their responses is vital to figuring out whether the poll has merit. If your sole argument supporting why the name should stay is to point to a poll, then this kind of analysis is vital.

Reactions: DaaaaB's
Sep 19, 2008
Keep hearing how Native Americans don't want to be portrayed as mascots which to me IMO is silly

Nobody complained about the Blackhawks logo for many years

Why should the Redskins have to change their logo during a potential rebrand? Keep the head and burgundy and gold. The people don't like THE NAME. Everything else is fine.

"But we can't have NA symbols anymore." You can start by removing the Braves, Blackhawks, Chiefs, Fighting Sioux, and anything else in this country

Pretty sad

Reactions: max21

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Keep hearing how Native Americans don't want to be portrayed as mascots which to me IMO is silly

Why should the Redskins have to change their logo during a potential rebrand? Keep the head and burgundy and gold. The people don't like THE NAME. Everything else is fine.

"But we can't have NA symbols anymore." You can start by removing the Braves, Blackhawks, Chiefs, Fighting Sioux, and anything else in this country

Pretty sad

Because the logo is offensive as well.

It's a marginalized group of people who have to deal with a racist caricaturizafion of their culture for years and years, not to mention all the other injustices done to them throughout colonization.

Its pretty cut and dry, man. If it is harmful and offensive to a historically disadvantaged group, who are you, as a non member of the group to argue against that? There is literally nothing going to change in your life if Waahington has a new name and a new logo but for thousands of indigenous people in America, no longer seeing a racist name, an offensive logo and misappropriation of their culture is beneficial.

Imagine opposing the change of something like that because you want to protect the branding of a football team. Jesus.

Sep 19, 2008
Because the logo is offensive as well.

It's a marginalized group of people who have to deal with a racist caricaturizafion of their culture for years and years, not to mention all the other injustices done to them throughout colonization.

Its pretty cut and dry, man. If it is harmful and offensive to a historically disadvantaged group, who are you, as a non member of the group to argue against that? There is literally nothing going to change in your life if Waahington has a new name and a new logo but for thousands of indigenous people in America, no longer seeing a racist name, an offensive logo and misappropriation of their culture is beneficial.

Imagine opposing the change of something like that because you want to protect the branding of a football team. Jesus.
Take a look at Chief Wahoo and then look at the Redskins logo.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Pretty sad

People don't like the logo, either.

Keep in mind: the Native American population is quite small (cuz of genocide, ya know) so you're not going to hear overwhelming protest in this country to the logos/names. It's always been bad, but we've just not cared.

If there was a team called the San Diego Caucasians and the mascot was a freaking Ken-doll looking dude, would you think that's totally great?

You'd think it's weird and demeaning, to some degree.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
All they have to do is change the name. Snyder can keep the history he so desperately wants to cling to by modernizing the logo like such; Obviously ignore the name. I initially saw this on reddit but it had the name chopped off. This is the only one i could fine.

washington-redskins-may-be-forced-to-change-their-name-opening-huP8mq-clipart.jpg

While i don't speak for Native-Americans obviously i think that looks clean as hell. Makes the Native look actually prideful and badass rather than the caricature they have now.

This logo is worse than the current one in pretty much every way.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
The Blackhawks should be up next, the logo is literally the same. They should feel the heat soon. It’s a shame but I understand it all, I love Washington and Chicago’s logo.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Redskins name change is fine but what I'm concerned about is this growing movement to remove all native american names from sports which is highly disturbing to me IMO. If the Chiefs or Blackhawks or Braves change their name it'll be ridiculous. Why? The name isn't offensive. But what people are trying to argue is that while the name isn't offensive, "making money off native americans" is. "you can't use them as a marketing tool. we need to phase ALL NA IMAGERY OUT". To me, this is a cynical and myopic view. Do teams make money off NA imagery? Yes. Is the name for many of these teams offensive? Mostly no. So what's the issue here?

"IT IS WRONG TO DEMEAN A RACE OF PEOPLE BY SELLING IMAGERY OF THEM WHICH PORTRAYS THEM IN A POSITIVE LIGHT"

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Redskins name change is fine but what I'm concerned about is this growing movement to remove all native american names from sports which is highly disturbing to me IMO. If the Chiefs or Blackhawks or Braves change their name it'll be ridiculous. Why? The name isn't offensive. But what people are trying to argue is that while the name isn't offensive, "making money off native americans" is. "you can't use them as a marketing tool. we need to phase ALL NA IMAGERY OUT". To me, this is a cynical and myopic view. Do teams make money off NA imagery? Yes. Is the name for many of these teams offensive? Mostly no. So what's the issue here?

"IT IS WRONG TO DEMEAN A RACE OF PEOPLE BY SELLING IMAGERY OF THEM WHICH PORTRAYS THEM IN A POSITIVE LIGHT"
This is true but to some Blackhawks is offensive, not as bad as Redskins but you can’t please everyone. This should cause a domino effect. Some Native Americans are proud of the name Redskins, but if offends any amount of people it should be changed. The Blackhawks organization will feel pressure if the Redskins change the logo which sounds like they are doing.

Reactions: WeThreeKings
Sep 19, 2008
This is true but to some Blackhawks is offensive, not as bad as Redskins but you can’t please everyone. This should cause a domino effect. Some Native Americans are proud of the name Redskins, but if offends any amount of people it should be changed. The Blackhawks organization will feel pressure if the Redskins change the logo which sounds like they are doing.
Seeing the blackhawk logo change would make me very upset

It's harmless

It's A TRIBUTE

Like these people want to remove ALL NA imagery not just the Redskins. Everything. Because it's wrong to make money off Native Americans. It's just silly and stupid logic in my humble non-sports marketing employee opinion.

Reactions: max21

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia

It's harmless

It's A TRIBUTE

Like these people want to remove ALL NA imagery not just the Redskins. Everything. Because it's wrong to make money off Native Americans. It's just silly and stupid logic in my humble non-sports marketing employee opinion.
I couldn’t agree with you more. I feel the same way about Washington’s logo. A Blackfeet leader made the logo and its inspired by Chief Two Guns White Calf and meant to honor Native Americans. I have been a die hard Redskins fan since birth (yeah it hasn’t been fun lol) and I am pretty upset they are changing the logo. I’m not Native American though, so it’s not really my fight. But I don’t see how the Blackhawks keep the logo if the Redskins change theirs, that’s all.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

It's harmless

It's A TRIBUTE

It's not stupid logic. Native Americans are the poorest people in our land. They were pushed onto the worst land there is. They've watched white people get rich by exploiting their former lands, and they're also watching white people get rich selling Native American imagery in sports. They lost their land and have been thrust into a system that breeds poverty. So please forgive them for not seeing the world the way you do. You want to claim these are harmless tributes, but they don't see it the same way.

Sep 19, 2008
It's not stupid logic. Native Americans are the poorest people in our land. They were pushed onto the worst land there is. They've watched white people get rich by exploiting their former lands, and they're also watching white people get rich selling Native American imagery in sports. They lost their land and have been thrust into a system that breeds poverty. So please forgive them for not seeing the world the way you do. You want to claim these are harmless tributes, but they don't see it the same way.
So let's just rename the Blackhawks while we're at it. Can't use NA imagery anymore. It's offensive. Who's to say what else is now construed as offensive by the cancel culture mob?

BTW the Braves have said they have no intention of changing their name, and I doubt that the Chiefs would too. It just seems so asinine to even imply that team names should be changed despite them not being the least iota offensive.

This whole debate was always about the name. The ability to market and profit off said name is capitalism at it's finest. Is that wrong?

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
So let's just rename the Blackhawks while we're at it. Can't use NA imagery anymore. It's offensive. Who's to say what else is now construed as offensive by the cancel culture mob?

BTW the Braves have said they have no intention of changing their name, and I doubt that the Chiefs would too. It just seems so asinine to even imply that team names should be changed despite them not being the least iota offensive.

This whole debate was always about the name. The ability to market and profit off said name is capitalism at it's finest. Is that wrong?
White people profiting off of the likenesses of the most oppressed people on this continent is wrong, yes.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge
Sep 19, 2008
White people profiting off of the likenesses of the most oppressed people on this continent is wrong, yes.
I don't agree with this view, but okay. I thought changing the names of potentially offensive teams was fine and necessary in the woke era in order to avoid disdain, but I don't think you'd see that type of outrage towards other teams using native american insignia, especially when it is done with reverence and tribute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad