Proposal: Washington/Colorado

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Of course you would.

A 22 year old, 30-40 point, 2nd/3rd line player for an ELITE offensive defenseman, top 5 in the game in that aspect. Barrie, a defenseman, scores DOUBLE the points of Bura.

The underrating of Tyson Barrie is ludicrous.

26 year old, 50 point defensemen with 2.5 years left on their contract cost an arm and a leg. Avs won't move a premier OFD for a garbage return like Bura. Insane.

Things I have learned from this post; 50 is DOUBLE 30-40. Barrie is a 50PT Dman despite having actually scored 50PTs only once in his career (You know actually being in the lineup is important. With a broken hand, I doubt he'll hit 50 again this year).

94eleven

fka Loosemonkeys
Dec 29, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I agree that he may eventually become expendable. Maybe even now if the right deal (1 for 1) presented itself. But he's a top 40 defenseman in the NHL. Higher on that list when considering 5v5 play. He has major trade value. He's more valuable than Matt Duchene who was just traded for ransom. I don't expect Barrie to net that kind of return because not every GM is that dumb, but he has major value.

What exactly makes Barrie a 5v5 monster? His shot metrics are not good 5v5 and he has scored more than half of his points on the PP this season...that concept doesn't match what I have seen from Barrie at any point so I am curious where this narrative comes from.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
this is getting off the original point. whether or not barrie is worth such and such isnt the issue, the caps cant afford to add a 5.5 mil defender no matter how good he is right now

Stan Galiev

Sasha Minor
May 15, 2015
Barrie is a very good offensive RD, but the Caps just don’t need him. We would not be willing to pay what he is worth. As for the OP offer I think the Caps overpay by quite a bit. This trade just doesn’t make sense for us. We need LD. Right now Burakovsky’s value is at an all time low. The dude is in the middle of an injury filled season and Trotz refuses to give him a chance. Young talent is a premium that the Caps cannot afford to give up right now unless the deal is steal. Sammy should not be traded under any circumstances. Guys like him are rare. We need to see what he can do in NA first. And the poster in this thread who said Grubauer is bad is just straight up wrong. Since 2012 Grubauer is second is 5v5 save percentage, only behind the great Cary Price. I love Gru and I have complete confidence in him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What exactly makes Barrie a 5v5 monster? His shot metrics are not good 5v5 and he has scored more than half of his points on the PP this season...that concept doesn't match what I have seen from Barrie at any point so I am curious where this narrative comes from.
He's 11th in 5v5 points among NHL defenseman since becoming a full time NHL'er. 6th in primary 5v5 points and 6th in p/60.
The narritive comes from the fact that he is an elite producer 5v5.

Reactions: avsfan09 and Avs44

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Waduhek is going on in this thread. I would not do anything less than OP proposal.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Good relative to his team in that time. Average relative to the league. Not bad in any regard. But again, his production is elite.
Now that is surprising. It appears many neutral Tyson Barrie has some of the worst Corsi numbers in the NHL
and even friendly
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly surrounding Tyson Barrie – BSN Denver

Colorado Avalanche Defenseman Tyson Barrie is Worth Defensive Risks

observers seem to disagree. Here's a hint, if the hometown writer trying to talk you up uses the description "liability in his own end" it's not a good thing. We had a player who was everything Tyson Barrie is and more in Mike Green and we couldn't run him out of town soon enough. He's a fine offensive player but the Caps aren't struggling there and in the playoffs more often than not the Caps have been failed by defensive miscues. Not a player we need, nor one we're inclined to overpay for.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
What? This is absurd. Assuming it fits cap wise Washington trades Samsonov for Barrie straight up before anyone catches on to what's happening and follows it up with a big party inviting every GM in the NHL so they can all make fun of what an idiot Joe Sakic is.
Maybe in the magical fantasy world where they don't already have two top pairing RD. Barrie would be on the 3rd pair in DC.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Now that is surprising. It appears many neutral Tyson Barrie has some of the worst Corsi numbers in the NHL
and even friendly
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly surrounding Tyson Barrie – BSN Denver

Colorado Avalanche Defenseman Tyson Barrie is Worth Defensive Risks

observers seem to disagree. Here's a hint, if the hometown writer trying to talk you up uses the description "liability in his own end" it's not a good thing. We had a player who was everything Tyson Barrie is and more in Mike Green and we couldn't run him out of town soon enough. He's a fine offensive player but the Caps aren't struggling there and in the playoffs more often than not the Caps have been failed by defensive miscues. Not a player we need, nor one we're inclined to overpay for.
You asked what his metrics were like so I told you. He's like a +1.5 relative since 13/14 which is the sample I used to explain his production dominance. He definitely has his shortcomings.

You can say he won't fit the caps all you want but that's not what you asked. Somebody asked what makes him a 5v5 monster so I answered showing his elite production. Then you asked his metrics and I answered on those.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
As of today Burakovsky isn't on the market (nor is Vrana), per no less an authority than Elliotte Friedman (who likely found out by talking to GMBM directly).

Samsonov? No one even bothers asking about him, he's such a core future piece of the team.

It looks like the Caps aren't going to be huge buyers. Sounds like they could tinker by adding a depth type defenseman, but that's it. I'd agree with that course.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
As of today Burakovsky isn't on the market (nor is Vrana), per no less an authority than Elliotte Friedman (who likely found out by talking to GMBM directly).

Samsonov? No one even bothers asking about him, he's such a core future piece of the team.

It looks like the Caps aren't going to be huge buyers. Sounds like they could tinker.

Then how did he know to ask gmbm if he was on the market? He asked cause he's been mentioned to be on market

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
How about you check where he ranks at ES points among D the last handful of years?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Then how did he know to ask gmbm if he was on the market? He asked cause he's been mentioned to be on market
Yeah from my review, people are making a lot more of this than is really there. As far as I'm aware, there have been ZERO credible sources quoting Burakovskys availability. In fact, the closest thing to that has been Friedman saying Burakovsky is NOT available. No one reputable has said Burakovsky has "been mentioned to be on market." Just speculation by a bunch of guys no more informed than an hfboards poster or mod.

MikeAvsPats

Jun 10, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
Tyson Barrie doesn't hold that type of value.
Are you kidding? He was 2nd in Defensive points production until his freak hand injury. He is constantly in the top 15 every year for points for a defenseman and out scores Doughty, Vlasic, Hamilton, Suter and countless other "high profile" and "high value" defenseman. He is transitioning his way into a sound 2-way defenseman and holds a ton of value.

For all these reason, I don't even want to think trade with Barrie. NOT now anyways.

MikeAvsPats

Jun 10, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
That's three actual 1st RD picks for Tyson Barrie. NO, NO that's not his value. And NO the Capitals are not paying that for a guy who could arguably play 3RD on our team. I don't think the Capitals would consider trading Samsonov today for anything anyone would legitimately offer.
You are completely off your medication if you think that Barrie would be your 3rd RHD. It's fine tho, this Avs fan doesn't wanna trade him

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
You are completely off your medication if you think that Barrie would be your 3rd RHD. It's fine tho, this Avs fan doesn't wanna trade him
We already have Carlson and Niskanen as RHD. We don't need Barrie at this time and it would be a redundant addition. If Carlson gets 7.5mil a year we would be looking at $18,750,000 in cap space at RD which is just plain dumb.

You guys are high on him and I can see why. This thread doesn't make sense for either team

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hmm...Avs fan eh. Obviously you aren't watching Barrie close enough. Barrie for Burakovsky is a joke and WSH GM runs to the bank to cash that deal. Avs fan tho? Yikes.

He's convinced that Girard is already better than Barrie and we must trade Tyson lest we have to pay him fair value on his next contract.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

If it matters, I somewhat assume it does given the nature of the thread but it hasn't been explicitly stated, I'd rather the Caps extend Carlson to a higher $ figure than go after Barrie. And honestly, if both players were UFA and I was choosing which one to spend their current salaries on I'd probably sign Niskanen first. To a team like the Capitals your suggestion that Barrie is becoming a "solid 2-way Dman," (for which there is comparatively little support) simply wouldn't cut it. Niskanen and Carlson are both better DEFENDERS than Barrie and it's not particularly close.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Washington wouldn't trade Samsonov for Barrie straight up.

I think you lost your mind.

It's stuff like this that makes these boards an absolute joke.

Tyson Barrie, A top 5 Point producing Dman in the NHL, doesn't get you a Goalie prospect not even playing in North America right now.

Man these boards are brutal.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
It's stuff like this that makes these boards an absolute joke.

Tyson Barrie, A top 5 Point producing Dman in the NHL, doesn't get you a Goalie prospect not even playing in North America right now.

Man these boards are brutal.
Missed the post that started this thread did ya? This thread should not exist. The joke is trying to find any more unlikely trading partners. The Capitals cannot, should not, and I'll go out on a limb here and say WILL NOT be looking to add a Tyson Barrie-type player anytime soon.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Missed the post that started this thread did ya? This thread should not exist. The joke is trying to find any more unlikely trading partners. The Capitals cannot, should not, and I'll go out on a limb here and say WILL NOT be looking to add a Tyson Barrie-type player anytime soon.
This is correct.

The fit doesn't make sense. It leads Capitals fans to say things that look ridiculous (like they wouldn't trade Samsonov for Barrie straight up) which pisses Avalanche fans off because the value of Barrie is so much more than that of Samsonov. But the reason capital fans say this isn't because of the "value" it's because of the lack of fit.

I've been involved in arguing in this thread too because I'm irritated by the lack of Barrie respect but I understand Caps fans frustration because he'd just be added to a position of strength. It reminds me of when Ducks fan would propose Vatanen + for Duchene and us Avs fans would have to explain how Vatanen would simply fall below EJ and Barrie on the depth chart and we have Makar/Timmins/Meloche on the way but Ducks fans would freak out because we weren't considering that the "value" they were offering was probably fair

What we really should be discussing here is how bad Washington wants to add Blake Comeau to their lineup and what they'd be willing to trade to make that happen :naughty:

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad