Washington Capitals to buy CapFriendly website. [UPD 7/10/24 Site closed down.]

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
What I don't understand is why do they need to buy the actual website as opposed to their system?

Doesn't the public site make money? Why not keep it open and duplicate a private version for the Caps?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Terrible news.

Move over Carolina, there are some new jerks in town

But seriously, they 1) should already have access to a central database and 2) have their own system already anyway
Why take out a very much used and beloved fan resource, knowing full well there's no good alternative out there

P.S. Side note, Bettman is dumb for not running their own NHL site and collecting ad revenue and premium subs from it. "Not an appetite for it", or whatever he said after CapGeek, my ass

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
I mean if I'm a GM who handed out bad to terrible contracts I would love the internet to forget about them also good for them to get a bag

Reactions: BB79

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Screw that Putin coddling team
What a bunch of trash.

This kind of garbage is why the NHL will be behind the WNBA within 10 years.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
What does this actually mean for the
actual site? How will the content be affected? Is this more of a changing of keys or will the data and how it's released to the public change?

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
What does this actually mean for the
actual site? How will the content be affected? Is this more of a changing of keys or will the data and how it's released to the public change?
The website won't exist publicly after the sale

Reactions: Jetsfan79

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Washington Capitals "buying, " capfriendly is a misleading headline. This is not like Google buying YouTube or Musk buying Twitter. They are effectively shutting it down. 👇 😡

Reactions: LeHab

Cynicaps

Aug 19, 2011
I hope CapGeek’s family gets a little thank you from the CapFriendly guys.

What, besides Ted Leonsis' ego and that society doesn't care about those who get bowel/colon cancer before 45, makes such sites vulnerable to being killed for nothing? Especially since you know someone is going to make another sub until that falls by the wayside for some bizarre reason or another?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Well that sucks. So they are basically buying it to close it down . I wonder if some internet savy people will mine the site and use the data as a template for a new resource site.
The problem though is the new data that they at least by default won't have comparable access to. It's quite possible or even likely that ordinary fans won't see a similarly accessible resource anytime soon, even if there evidently will be various attempts to fill the void.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004

Several NHL clubs were interested in buying CapFriendly, the source said, and another source familiar with talks the site’s owners held with other clubs.

While clubs have specific employees dedicated to internally track their and others’ cap situations, CapFriendly’s information was generally viewed as the industry standard in terms of up-to-date information.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
That really does suck. Someone will step up with something but it’ll take years to get up to Capfriendly level. Why do this to the fans?

Had the small privilege of some minor contributions to CapGeek for Leaf stuff, site was a trailblazer. Next up I guess.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
If it actually goes the way current reporting says it will, It's pretty frustrating to watch CapFriendly get gobbled up by a franchise -- any franchise. While other sites do exist (but currently none of them can hold a candle to CapFriendly), I can't imagine a scenario where some of those folks working at CapFriendly don't find work at a site like PuckPedia (for example).

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
wouldnt this just be the caps hired the fella from capfriendly but part of the deal states that he needs to shutdown the site ?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
wouldnt this just be the caps hired the fella from capfriendly but part of the deal states that he needs to shutdown the site ?

That would be my guess. To my knowledge there are two founders of the site, one of whom has worked for NHL teams in recent years as a capologist while CF has continued to operate.

The value of the site is more than simply the software tools they’ve created, it’s all the diligent work and connections necessary to keep the contract information up to date.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00