Confirmed with Link: Waiver Claim- Jimmy Vesey

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I think people are reading too much into this.

This is Josh Leivo pick up of 2021.

If he clicks, maybe we'll resign him on a one year incase none of our other prospects are ready at camp.

If he doesn't no biggie.

Reactions: David71

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
You’re getting a pretty vanilla player who doesn’t make annoying mistakes or bad giveaways very often.

He had become a bit of a whipping boy on the Leafs board for his lack of offensive production. Feels like he never really shoots the puck, I’d be interested to see what happened if he did more.

I think he’s got a bit of upside, hopefully he works out with you guys. If not, someone else compared him to Leivo, which is probably a good comparison in the sense that this is a zero risk play for the organization / no big deal whatever happens.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think people are reading too much into this.

This is Josh Leivo pick up of 2021.

If he clicks, maybe we'll resign him on a one year incase none of our other prospects are ready at camp.

If he doesn't no biggie.

Leivo was a different pickup though. He was a guy who didn't get an opportunity to play and he played well when given the opportunity. The Canucks also had openings and he was also younger and an RFA. Vesey has gotten every opportunity to play and likely is who he is at this point.

Having given this pickup some thoughts though it's a solid pickup given the Canucks' injury situation up front.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Leivo was a good pickup from the Leafs, particularly considering the guy who went to the other way--Michael Carcone.

Maybe the Canucks catch lightning in a bottle twice with Vesey. Low risk waiver wire add, on an affordable one year deal.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Leivo was a great bottom sixer who was trustable on both ends before his injury.

As of now, Vesey is like a more proven Gaudette.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jimmy Vesey looks like an upgrade over Josh Leivo I guess?

Leivo was a solid gritty 3rd liner.

Vesey is a guy with some skills but no motor or 3-zone game.

Leivo is a far better player. Similar production but one guy helps the team outside of his production and the other is a black hole if not scoring.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I do not know if Leivo is better. Leivo is serviceable he has never lived up to what he is seen to be. Maybe it is opportunity and injury but he has never had a good nhl season, Vessey has had better seasons though with bad teams. In the end Leivo preferred signing in Calgary eventhough Green liked him and would have played him up the lineup.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I do not know if Leivo is better. Leivo is serviceable he has never lived up to what he is seen to be. Maybe it is opportunity and injury but he has never had a good nhl season, Vessey has had better seasons though with bad teams. In the end Leivo preferred signing in Calgary eventhough Green liked him and would have played him up the lineup.

Huh? This is not factually accurate at all. Leivo was everything the Canucks reasonably could have expected him to be up until his kneecap injury. When he left the Leafs he was a frequent healthy scratch. With the Canucks he was a productive middle 6 forward for the Canucks from the start. Also, there's no indication that the Canucks even offered Leivo a contract. From the looks of it, Leivo isn't his old self so not re-signing him wasn't a bad call.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Leafs put Vesey in a position to succeed and he was terrible
You are right. Vesey was on the line with Taveres and Nylander for over ten games. He offered nothing. Leivo was out of the line up because leafs forwards group was too deep. Lehtonen was this year version of Leivo.
Then, some hockey analysts believed Vesey was as good as Nylander. So, you never know :popcorn:

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I always thought Vesey was a smaller player. His face looks like someone who would be 5”9-5”10 tops not 6”3.

Does he use his size or bring sandpaper, or does he play small?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Leivo was arguably our best forward at ES in the month or two leading up to his injury last year.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Lucky for us, new guys are prone to having great first outings with a new team. Especially when their potential opportunity far exceeds that of their original club. We need these Ws against MTL, so I'm glad we didn't waste the new car smell on OTT.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I always thought Vesey was a smaller player. His face looks like someone who would be 5”9-5”10 tops not 6”3.

I cannot believe he is 6"3 too. He plays so small. I always thought he was another "Petan."

at around 0:18, he is as high as Spezza (~6"2)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Leafs fans say he is vanilla, so Im guessing he is white

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Vanilla actually isn't white in colour.
He is white Fanner

upload_2021-3-19_11-25-42.png

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Huh? This is not factually accurate at all. Leivo was everything the Canucks reasonably could have expected him to be up until his kneecap injury. When he left the Leafs he was a frequent healthy scratch. With the Canucks he was a productive middle 6 forward for the Canucks from the start. Also, there's no indication that the Canucks even offered Leivo a contract. From the looks of it, Leivo isn't his old self so not re-signing him wasn't a bad call.
Really 5 point Leivo in 26 games was big loss. I wish he was still here instead of signing Ferland or Roussel but then again he does not play with that urgency. He is vanilla on a good contract. I thought he was offered a bit less than Calgary. no? Leivo and Vesey are exactly the type of players we need to be filling the lineup with, but do not get attached to them or overpay them

Reactions: VancouverJagger

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Really 5 point Leivo in 26 games was big loss. I wish he was still here instead of signing Ferland or Roussel but then again he does not play with that urgency. He is vanilla on a good contract. I thought he was offered a bit less than Calgary. no? Leivo and Vesey are exactly the type of players we need to be filling the lineup with, but do not get attached to them or overpay them

What are you talking about?

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Leivo was actually one of my favorite Benning's transaction (considering his play here, and the cost, cap space and potential of the player). If Vesey can come anywhere close to Leivo's play here, I'd be happy with this pick up.
I am mildly concerned about the sheer number of wingers we have currently, and that it can potentially take playing time away from Hoglander. Will reserve judgement for now.

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Good game tonight, overplayed a bit by Coach Green but thought he played a responsible game

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad