Waddell getting permission to talk to other teams(LeBrun) UPD: Stepped down, Tulsky Interim GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
There is only 1 in this thread though, not sure why you are derailing it.
Did you just ask a poster named "Derailed75" why he's derailing it? :sarcasm:
Everyone else is discussing Waddell, but keep focusing on the other dude.
In fairness, you've made 3 posts in this thread. 2 of the 3 had nothing to do with discussing Waddell. Both sides need to just let it go.

My own view is that it's "probably" money, or the need to keep going out to get competitive offers that is at the heart of this, but of course it's speculation. Be interesting to see what the Canes do. Waddell, for all his faults, has years of experience and has built relationships with other GMs, Agents, the league, etc... That doesn't happen overnight.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Great is a little generous.
So 3rd most points in the last 5 years is what mediocre?

Did you just ask a poster named "Derailed75" why he's derailing it? :sarcasm:

In fairness, you've made 3 posts in this thread. 2 of the 3 had nothing to do with discussing Waddell. Both sides need to just let it go.

Irony probably flew over his head

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Find someone who loves you as much as Canes fans love their team/personel holy sheet!
I think it’s easy. Habs fans, and many fans from Canada who love to hate Dundon.

What’s great is that they are likely paying Dundon via profit sharing. On top of that, Dundon’s teams are vastly outperforming eastern conference Canadien teams.

What’s not to love?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Tulsky seems like a smart guy. I have seen him as the 'next guy up' for a couple years now. Just keep him as the GM and don't hire someone from the outside imo.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
We are not turning another thread into a Canes Vs Habs pissing match, either kiss and make up or use one of the other threads for that purpose
1716607716662.gif

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
- Priskie was AHL fodder who the Canes got for free as an NCAA free agent.
Also trading the Florida boy former junior Panther Priskie to Panthers the NHL team made a feelgood story. If I was a high-up in the NHL marketing these are the sideshow trades that I would actively try to facilitate. Would be sending memos and circulars to the GMs that if and when you are shuffling the deck chairs, *this* guy to *this* team is something we as the league could get some mileage off.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Columbus has the clear GM opening, but curious at Chicago and Buffalo mentioned. Would this be a POHO position, a shuffle for the current GM's, or what?

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Middle of the road GM. 16 seasons as an team executive with no cup finals appearances. I'll never understand how these guys keep getting shots, I mean, you spend 15-30 years as a GM and at some point you will hit a steak of luck and win some games that matter.

David Poile comes to mind, spends 100 years as an executive, finally makes a finals and rides off into the sunset as a probable HOF builder.

Amazing how far mediocrity can take you as an NHL executive. Waddell should be the perfect guy to lead CBJ to a few shallow playoff runs over the next 10 years.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
When your list of "good trades" is paying full retail for 3 years of Hamilton, giving up a middle 6er for a different middle 6er, trading a cap dump/buyout candidate for a $3.4m backup goalie, and getting a 37 year old Brent Burns for essentially nothing, you'll have to excuse me for not being impressed. Even Trocheck and Skjei weren't exactly cheap, even if they both had term left on their contracts.

But, then again, I could be spoiled as an Avs fan, where a good trade is a couple of 2nds for a Devon Toews, who is then signed for 4 years at $4.1m.
Don't forget offersheeting KK, giving up a 1st+, then overpaying him twice and now faced with a buyout.

Waddell was a failure. But he's smart, he's getting out before the house of cards fall.

CBJ should be happy to get him as the alternative was apparently Bergevin!

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Don't forget offersheeting KK, giving up a 1st+, then overpaying him twice and now faced with a buyout.

Waddell was a failure. But he's smart, he's getting out before the house of cards fall.

CBJ should be happy to get him as the alternative was apparently Bergevin!
In his 6 tenure as President and GM in Carolina:
- 3rd most points in the NHL regular season over those 6 years.
- Made the playoffs 6 straight seasons after failing to do so 10 straight seasons prior
- Won at least 1 round of the playoffs in each of the 6 seasons
- Made it to two ECFs
- Team had an average attendance of 13,331 when he took over. Team had an average attendance of 18,960 when he left.
- Helped orchestrate a long term lease and $450M in improvements to PNC arena
- Canes had a revenue of $109M when he took over. Last year their revenue was $177M and it will be even higher this year.
- Canes franchise had a value of $370M the year before he took over. The Canes franchise has a value of $825 at the end of last year.
- Canes had 4500 STH when Waddell took over. That increased to over 20,000 (full and partial plans) and there is a waiting list.
- Fans were worried team was going to be relocated. Even after Dundon bought it, there were concerns. Those worries are long gone.

His teams have not made it to the SCF or won one, so if winning a cup is the only measure of a GM, then he has failed. How much of that is on him? Who knows, but if you get credit for the good, you get blame for the bad as well.

Yet I think his whole list of accomplishments of his time in Carolina are quite remarkable though.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So Canes and Jsckets both open to make big roster moves? Which players?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So Canes and Jsckets both open to make big roster moves? Which players?
My $0.02 on Carolina:

Likely Trade: Necas - RFA
Possible Trade: Suzuki - RFA, Kotkaniemi - Under contract.
UFA: Skjei, Pesce, Chatfield, DeAngelo, Teravainen, Noesen, Martinook, Guentzel. Of those, I would guess that Skjei, Chatfield, Martinook and Guentzel are the guys the Canes are trying hardest to re-sign (my own speculation).
Likely re-signed: Drury - RFA, Comtois - RFA
Definitely re-signed: Jarvis - RFA

I said it in jest earlier in the thread, but looking at the work to be done in Carolina, it's going to be an active and tough off-season for the GM or interim GM.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
My $0.02 on Carolina:

Likely Trade: Necas - RFA
Possible Trade: Suzuki - RFA, Kotkaniemi - Under contract.
UFA: Skjei, Pesce, Chatfield, DeAngelo, Teravainen, Noesen, Martinook, Guentzel. Of those, I would guess that Skjei, Chatfield, Martinook and Guentzel are the guys the Canes are trying hardest to re-sign (my own speculation).
Likely re-signed: Drury - RFA, Comtois - RFA
Definitely re-signed: Jarvis - RFA

I said it in jest earlier in the thread, but looking at the work to be done in Carolina, it's going to be an active and tough off-season for the GM or interim GM.

The big two UFAs that are priorities for the Canes are Guentzel and Skjei. I wouldn't be shocked if the Canes are able to work out an Orlov-style contract for Skjei, considering the Nikishin factor that the Canes have to be taking into account. They will almost certainly 8 year-max Jarvis and likely trade Necas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad