Waddell getting permission to talk to other teams(LeBrun) UPD: Stepped down, Tulsky Interim GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
When your list of "good trades" is paying full retail for 3 years of Hamilton, giving up a middle 6er for a different middle 6er, trading a cap dump/buyout candidate for a $3.4m backup goalie, and getting a 37 year old Brent Burns for essentially nothing, you'll have to excuse me for not being impressed. Even Trocheck and Skjei weren't exactly cheap, even if they both had term left on their contracts.

But, then again, I could be spoiled as an Avs fan, where a good trade is a couple of 2nds for a Devon Toews, who is then signed for 4 years at $4.1m.
Trocheck was mostly spare parts. Haula was a rental, Wallmark was a bottom 6 C who was then dealt to Chicago and has played in Europe since 2021, Priskie was an OK prospect who got a total of 4 games. The only player of note in that deal was Eetu Luostarinen, who has developed into a solid player for Florida.

Skjei cost a first, but when you have teams paying 1st+ for rentals, getting 4+ years of a top 4 defenseman signed to a decent deal for a 1st is good deadline value.

Finally, if you think Victor Rask was a middle 6 player at the time of that deal than boy I would like to make deals with you. Getting any usable player for Scott Darling was equally shocking. Was he expensive for a backup? Yes, but Reimer played well in Carolina and unlike Darling, could stop a beach ball.

Toews was a great deal, but there were many good deals by Waddell over time.

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
They've pretty much spent to the cap the last 3 seasons, and even had to take advantage of LTIR (Gardiner) last year.

"hardly spends to the cap" isn't an accurate representation.

This year they kept having to send guys down for periods to save up cap space to use for the deadline.
Would you like Mark Stone for next season, should make it easier for you :sarcasm::naughty::laugh:

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
When your list of "good trades" is paying full retail for 3 years of Hamilton, giving up a middle 6er for a different middle 6er, trading a cap dump/buyout candidate for a $3.4m backup goalie, and getting a 37 year old Brent Burns for essentially nothing, you'll have to excuse me for not being impressed. Even Trocheck and Skjei weren't exactly cheap, even if they both had term left on their contracts.

But, then again, I could be spoiled as an Avs fan, where a good trade is a couple of 2nds for a Devon Toews, who is then signed for 4 years at $4.1m.
Burns is still a top pairing defenseman.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
In fairness, at the time the deal for Trocheck was viewed as incredibly cheap.
- Haula was an unhappy UFA to be which Florida was only taking back as a cap hit and had no intent on re-signing.
- Wallmark was borderline NHLr that only played 11 games for Florida.
- Luostarinen was a former 2nd round pick that was coming off a 25 point in 44 game AHL season and had only 8 NHL games under his belt. He's developed nicely, but he wasn't deemed very valuable at the time of the trade.
- Priskie was AHL fodder who the Canes got for free as an NCAA free agent.

As far as Skjei goes, a late 1st isn't that much different than two seconds. Canes had the ability to make that move because they had two 1st round picks (because of the very good trade with Toronto to take on Marleau's cap hit for a 1st round pick) so they had the luxury of trading the later of the picks for Skjei, who has been outstanding in Carolina for 4+ seasons at a decent cap hit. Canes (management and fans) would make that again trade 10 times out of 10 and be very happy with it. Even some Canes fans who balked at it at the time have realized how good of a trade it was and how good Brady has been.
Sure, but judging a GM off of one of the steals of a trade in the last few years is probably not a fair bar to judge them against.

Even so, I don't think Waddell was making those decisions on his own. The Canes run a GM by committee approach, so he shouldn't get too much credit, nor blame for each move because of that.

In the end, it's team results that matter. He's didn't win a cup or a conf. final, so it's fair to say he fell short there as a GM. But it's also fair to say that in the 6 season's he's been GM, the Canes have had the 3rd most points in the NHL, have made the playoffs 6 straight seasons, have won at least 1 round in each of those playoff seasons, and have made it to the ECF twice.

This was after inheriting a team that had gone 10 years without a playoff appearance.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Cheap teams prefer LTIR contracts, which is why Arizona had a hall of fame LTIR roster. They’re insured contracts that count against the cap to artificially boost your cap hit without spending the real dollars.
Again, I'm saying the Canes have leveraged LTIR at least once (could be twice, not sure if Gardiner was LTIR in 2022 or just 2023) to technically spend over the cap. This isn't a Yotes situation where they're using LTIR to get to the floor, they're shelving guys on LTIR to spend that money on the ice while still spending to the cap

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder do they go after Mike Futa. He had an advisor role for Carolina a couple years back. He was in the Kings organization for 13 seasons and was the head of amateur scouting for 7 years. He drafted pretty solid in the late rounds. He was never a GM though.
Futa was a hot name back in the days when LA was a cup winner. But, never got a GM role.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I wonder do they go after Mike Futa. He had an advisor role for Carolina a couple years back. He was in the Kings organization for 13 seasons and was the head of amateur scouting for 7 years. He drafted pretty solid in the late rounds. He was never a GM though.
Definitely a guy that could be on the radar.

I think the two names to keep an eye on if they go with Tulsky as GM is to have a more forward facing Pres of Hockey Opps type are Williams and Weekes. Both have ties to the org, are extremely media savvy, and who tf in the hockey world doesn't know them?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Waddell is a clown, he did nothing well and wasted the Thrashers and got another job somehow.

a joke GM.

Honestly I criticized the Canes when they hired him as GM seeing as his previous tenure was an absolute failure.

However, he did as good job in Carolina so I'll give him that. Even if they haven't made it over the hump.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Definitely a guy that could be on the radar.

I think the two names to keep an eye on if they go with Tulsky as GM is to have a more forward facing Pres of Hockey Opps type are Williams and Weekes. Both have ties to the org, are extremely media savvy, and who tf in the hockey world doesn't know them?

I thought I read that Futa left the Canes because he was upset/at odds how they operate. Didn't he want them to go after a particular player (either at the deadline, in a trade or UFA) and the Canes weren't willing to so he left? Or am I misremembering?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I thought I read that Futa left the Canes because he was upset/at odds how they operate. Didn't he want them to go after a particular player (either at the deadline, in a trade or UFA) and the Canes weren't willing to so he left? Or am I misremembering?
Gio I think. I get the feeling he'd change his mind if he came back as the GM. But the question is if 1 - he'd actually be willing to work under the current structure and 2 - if they'd even want him back after his exit.

Reactions: Chrispy

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
4 pages and only 1 fan brought it up... but yeah, habs fans...

🤡
Yeah there is only on Habs fan that posts about how the Canes screwed this up and the Habs made out like bandits on that offer sheet trade.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Yeah there is only on Habs fan that posts about how the Canes screwed this up and the Habs made out like bandits on that offer sheet trade.

There is only 1 in this thread though, not sure why you are derailing it.

Everyone else is discussing Waddell, but keep focusing on the other dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad