Waddell getting permission to talk to other teams(LeBrun) UPD: Stepped down, Tulsky Interim GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Congratulations to Jackets fans who won't have to deal with Bergevin!

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Tulsky’s LinkedIn job history is an entertaining read.

IMG_4980.jpeg
IMG_4981.jpeg
IMG_4982.jpeg

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Guess Carolina finally had to promote Tulusky. Kind of like LV and Mac crimmon sending McPhee to president role.

Only CBS has a gm spot open.

Reactions: bleedgreen

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
I wonder do they go after Mike Futa. He had an advisor role for Carolina a couple years back. He was in the Kings organization for 13 seasons and was the head of amateur scouting for 7 years. He drafted pretty solid in the late rounds. He was never a GM though.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Waddell put a great team together with the constraints of ownership. I'd imagine there's teams considering firing their current GM for him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I wonder do they go after Mike Futa. He had an advisor role for Carolina a couple years back. He was in the Kings organization for 13 seasons and was the head of amateur scouting for 7 years. He drafted pretty solid in the late rounds. He was never a GM though.
My understanding is Futa and the Canes didn't part of the best of terms. I bet either Tulsky (more likely) or Yorke (less likely) gets named full time GM and this was likely one of those guys saying they wanted to get to the next level.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Salary constraints. Carolina hardly spends to the cap and I doubt that Waddell’s executive decision.
They've pretty much spent to the cap the last 3 seasons, and even had to take advantage of LTIR (Gardiner) last year.

"hardly spends to the cap" isn't an accurate representation.

This year they kept having to send guys down for periods to save up cap space to use for the deadline.

Reactions: DaveG

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
They've spent to the cap every year under Dundon, and have routinely leveraged LTIR to technically spend more.

Didn’t they have cap space this year? At the TDL they still had millions left. LTIR is not coming out of the owners pocket.

Cheap teams prefer LTIR contracts, which is why Arizona had a hall of fame LTIR roster. They’re insured contracts that count against the cap to artificially boost your cap hit without spending the real dollars.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I like the guy. Best of luck to him. His success in Carolina- and lack of it in Atlanta- supports the theory of GM differences being marginal at best wrt a teams success
I imagine you would be singing a different tune about your assistant GM now interim GM leaving.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Didn’t they have cap space this year? At the TDL they still had millions left.
No, under a mil in space, if that. Its to the point where most years we have to play games with sending eligible guys down to the AHL for a long weekend just to squeeze every penny out of cap space we can before the deadline so we can make an extra deal. Kochetkov is routinely a part of those cap space games

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Didn’t they have cap space this year? At the TDL they still had millions left. LTIR is not coming out of the owners pocket.

Cheap teams prefer LTIR contracts, which is why Arizona had a hall of fame LTIR roster. They’re insured contracts that count against the cap to artificially boost your cap hit without spending the real dollars.
1) they created deadline space by sending guys down (paper transactions) at various times and "banking" cap space.

2) They had to move Bunting as part of the deal to create cap space for Guentzel and Kuznetsov.

Re: the bold. Unless a contract is 100% insured (and my understanding is not all of them are), it most certainly is coming out of the owners pocket.

Arizona likes LTIR contracts because they usually take on contracts that are either insured or contracts that have very low real dollar value but a high cap hit. That hasn't been the case in the Canes situation. They put Gardiner (who they signed for 4 years) on LTIR because he was unfit to play

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Who cares, Tulsky already runs the team, Waddell is just a figurehead that handles the day-to-day monotony. They could hire anybody for that.

This idea that Dundon is ‘cheap’ is so stupid. His team spends to the cap every season.

Hockey fans are so used to owners throwing money at ole boys that dont deserve it, they cant handle an owner actually asking ‘wait, so why are you worth this exactly?’

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
I think it's as simple as: If established and available, then not good. Otherwise if they were good they wouldn't be available. So the only way to find good GM's is to take a risk on someone who isn't established.
I agree with that when it comes to GM's for sure

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
They've made good trades with Waddell as GM as well, though.

The run of playoffs probably doesn't start without the Hamilton trade. It was an expensive deal giving up Lindholm and Hanifin, but a young top pairing RD signed at a resonable AAV for 3 years isn't cheap.

Rask for Nino was a huge move in that first season's run to the playoffs and added a good piece for a few years.

Darling for Reimer turned a potential buyout into a legitimate backup goalie for 2 years.

He was able to bring in veterans like Burns and Pacioretty for next to nothing. Pacioretty ended up never being healthy in Carolina, but Burns has been a successful move.

He made deadline deals in 2020 for Trocheck and Skjei that stayed with the team for 2+ years and 4+ years, respectively. Good deadline deals that helped the team longer-term.

For the most part his moves have been good and he's been at least involved in some major moves where he was either outbid at the last moment (Necas+ for Tkachuk was outbid by Florida in a way Carolina couldn't match) or put a bid that was competitive out there that was rejected for another (Meier.)

Was I concerned when he was moved from hockey ops / business to GM? Yes, but Waddell's done well with the committee around him.

When your list of "good trades" is paying full retail for 3 years of Hamilton, giving up a middle 6er for a different middle 6er, trading a cap dump/buyout candidate for a $3.4m backup goalie, and getting a 37 year old Brent Burns for essentially nothing, you'll have to excuse me for not being impressed. Even Trocheck and Skjei weren't exactly cheap, even if they both had term left on their contracts.

But, then again, I could be spoiled as an Avs fan, where a good trade is a couple of 2nds for a Devon Toews, who is then signed for 4 years at $4.1m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad