Confirmed with Link: W Sammy Blais signed to AHL Contract(Abbotsford) / PTO with Vancouver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
If only Blais could stay healthy. Could be a real dark horse to make the team after camp. Tochett will love his willingness to hit the opponent when given the opportunity to do so.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No.

Thats not what Im saying.

Lets just give up.

I do think this is getting stupid here but I'm still trying to understand.

Your exact words (albeit chosen quotes but copy and pasted nonetheless):

Räty does not have the education to work on things properly.

99,999999% of athletes dont have the education to do that.

almost no pro athlete has the education necessary to program them selves.

The physical training that Räty and other prospects recieve for off season is not of high quality.

I dont believe the hockey players should be self driven as far as their summer training goes. Its far too complex to expect pro players, who need to worry about actual hockey skills and knowledge, to master.

The issue is that Finnish pro hockey clubs are not up to the task of handling the NHLers summer training. And with the CBA preventing NHL being more hands on, Finland is a really shitty place to train for the NHLers, during the summer.

I would say the problem is especially bad in Finland.

You agree with this pretty much:

These training methods would require each player, perhaps a small group of players if they stay in the same city in the offseason, to have a highly skilled trainer monitoring their training. The Canucks don't appear to have this level of investment preferring to allow players to guide their training along the lines the team has set out. This isn't as effective as specific tailored training.

In addition, players who stay in NA in the offseason have better access to trainers than players who go back home to Europe. This is because the sports science scene is more advanced in NA than in Europe.

You answered in the affirmative to this:

...players from countries other than Finland do the type of "tracking" you mentioned when they go back home to train? Take Petey. Is his recovery being tracked via bloodwork while he's in Sweden over the summer? Is Hughes' tracking his recovery via bloodwork at home in Michigan? Is that what you're suggesting?

But you disagree with this:

So in summary you're saying:

1) 99+% of NHL players are not "working on things properly" because they aren't working with a trainer who are doing things like monitoring their recovery through blood work etc.

2) The situation is particularly worse because the trainers and local resources available in Finland is worse than in other countries.

:help:

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What should off-season training for a pro-hockey player look like today?

The type of programming in the past was "Follow this weight lifting program during the summer and do these cardio exercises."

The modern requirements are far beyond what can be achieved that way. Simply put the players are stronger and faster and you will be left behind if you do the old simple program.

You cannot push your self hard enough that way and you cannot adjust to your progress / set backs properly.

You need a trainer present at all times. Qualified trainer.

The program is HIGHLY specific to position and the players areas of need physically.

(As an example of what not to do; I just talked with a jr from one of Liiga's teams. For his team, the summer training was the exact same program for all the skaters. And... with the same weights to boot...)

You need someone to set your nutrition right. Maybe another qualified professional if your trainer isnt one.

Constant metrics to track recovery, inflammation etc. There are some small machines you can use to do some of this. (edit. I mean a small portable machine that most people can learn to use.) But probably a doctor is needed here.

Tracking axial load for hockey players is key because of how lower back and hip intensive skating is.

So the point I am trying to get across that somehow keeps going woosh over some posters head is that a professional athlete wont be "educated enough" to do this him self.

(edit. What I am not saying is that 99,9% of NHL players are not doing these things. Many many are. They just got the right people around them to help them do this.)

He needs a team of professionals around him.

He needs objective data on his recover because you cannot trust how he feels. You also cannot trust Oura etc. because these devices are calibrated for your average person and a pro athlete is not an average person.

Last edited:

Frostage

May 23, 2014
The type of programming in the past was "Follow this weight lifting program during the summer and do these cardio exercises."

The modern requirements are far beyond what can be achieved that way. Simply put the players are stronger and faster and you will be left behind if you do the old simple program.

You cannot push your self hard enough that way and you cannot adjust to your progress / set backs properly.

You need a trainer present at all times. Qualified trainer.

The program is HIGHLY specific to position and the players areas of need physically.

(As an example of what not to do; I just talked with a jr from one of Liiga's teams. For his team, the summer training was the exact same program for all the skaters. And... with the same weights to boot...)

You need someone to set your nutrition right. Maybe another qualified professional if your trainer isnt one.

Constant metrics to track recovery, inflammation etc. There are some small machines you can use to do some of this. (edit. I mean a small portable machine that most people can learn to use.) But probably a doctor is needed here.

Tracking axial load for hockey players is key because of how lower back and hip intensive skating is.

So the point I am trying to get across that somehow keeps going woosh over some posters head is that a professional athlete wont be "educated enough" to do this him self.

(edit. What I am not saying is that 99,9% of NHL players are not doing these things. Many many are. They just got the right people around them to help them do this.)

He needs a team of professionals around him.

He needs objective data on his recover because you cannot trust how he feels. You also cannot trust Oura etc. because these devices are calibrated for your average person and a pro athlete is not an average person.

Are you familiar with any performance benchmarks that players/teams want to achieve during the off-season?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm actually kinda' surprised that Blais and his agent even decided on Vancouver. The wing in Vancouver is stacked with guys they signed in the off-season and well as returnees......seems to me he'd have had a far better chance of sticking via PTO with one of the NHL's bottom-feeders.

Maybe the guaranteed AHL contract if he doesn't stick in Vancouver, was an incentive. But I guess if he outperforms his PTO in training camp, there's a chance he can bump somebody to the minors.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Are you familiar with any performance benchmarks that players/teams want to achieve during the off-season?
There are devices to measure power and stamina of individual joints / movements.

Other than that the usual stuff.

VO2 max.

Skating speed from stand still.

Agility drills.

Thats all I can think of. I can try to find out more.

I dont know what sort of numbers they want to see or % improvement they might expect.

Reactions: Grantham

Frostage

May 23, 2014
There are devices to measure power and stamina of individual joints / movements.

Other than that the usual stuff.

VO2 max.

Skating speed from stand still.

Agility drills.

Thats all I can think of. I can try to find out more.

I dont know what sort of numbers they want to see or % improvement they might expect.

Interesting. If you could find out more, that would be awesome.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's a 'win-win' for the Canucks and Blais.....if he shows well in training camp on a PTO, there's a chance he gets a contract somewhere else if the Canucks don't sign him.

And if they do sign him, but want to send him to Abbotsford, he'd have to be exposed to the waiver wire. A chance he could be picked up as well.

So imo it's unlikely he ever suits up in Abbotsford, unless he has a really bad training camp.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Interesting. If you could find out more, that would be awesome.
Here is the testing used by a certain NHL team this autumn.

1726339445335.jpeg

I would expect this is not ALL of it, but this is a pretty decent overview of the relevant measurables for a hockey player.

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Here is the testing used by a certain NHL team this autumn.

View attachment 906970

I would expect this is not ALL of it, but this is a pretty decent overview of the relevant measurables for a hockey player.

Thanks. This was interesting. I am a tiny bit surprised at the bench press but if this is just a part of it then it would make sense. If you come across other things such as this, please share.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Thanks. This was interesting. I am a tiny bit surprised at the bench press but if this is just a part of it then it would make sense. If you come across other things such as this, please share.
No problem.

I might get access to another one at some point. And from what I understand these are not exactly trade secrets.

Why are you surprised by bench being part of the testing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad