Confirmed with Link: W Sammy Blais signed to AHL Contract(Abbotsford) / PTO with Vancouver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He said Blais, not Podkolzin. jk but legit your description isn't far off of the Podmeister.
Huh? Sorry I don't get your joke. Pods has a 2x$1M contract. If Blais was entering his 23 year old season as a UFA I would sign him and make room for him on the roster over PDG.

As much as you admire PDG for his tenacity and veteran presence, it seems to me the Canucks would be better suited finding a younger, and grittier player for fourth line duty.

PDG would undoubtedly clear waivers and be a huge veteran addition to the Abbotsford Canucks. And of course he'd be only a hour and half away in the event of an injury callup.

It's hard to keep track of your flip flopping positions. It sounds like you're back to saying the Canucks are better off with Pods over PDG when previously you thought Pods can't make the team over PDG?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'm sorry I'm not quite clear on what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that Finnish hockey players who develop in the CHL and go back to Finland to train in the summer won't have the same issues? If so, the reason would be that they learned to "work on things properly" while in the CHL?
What "things" do you think the CHL teams are "working on properly" during the season that will result in proper summer training for hockey players...?
Okay... are you saying that Raty in his two AHL years (this would be his second summer as a Canuck) that he never learned how to "work on things properly?" No coaching or player development personnel worked with Raty and taught him how to work on things properly so that Raty doesn't know what to work on and how to train over the summer to prepare him for the upcoming NHL season? Are you saying the Canucks never gave him any sort of plan, education and or training to that effect? I have a real hard time believing this.
I really dont know what you think takes place during the season?

Also AHL teams are not all built equal. Some are penal colonies some are places to develop.
Well there are CBA rules governing that. NHL organizations aren't allowed to micromanage.
Im not so sure.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What "things" do you think the CHL teams are "working on properly" during the season that will result in proper summer training for hockey players...?
I'm asking you. You didn't really answer my question. You appear to be saying that Finnish players like Raty (who came up through the Finnish program but have been playing in the AHL the past 2 seasons) somehow do not know how to "work on things properly" because of a lack of a support system. So what difference does it make if they went the CHL route instead if they are to go back to Finland to train in the summer?

I really dont know what you think takes place during the season?

Also AHL teams are not all built equal. Some are penal colonies some are places to develop.
Okay... but you are saying I am wrong. Completely wrong in saying Raty has the education to work on things properly himself in Finland. Like I said, this is his second summer as a Canuck. I assume that the trainers and player development staff has at least given him a blueprint / workout routine to follow. You say I am wrong and Raty lacks the education to work on things properly himself. So please explain.

Im not so sure.
I'm stating this as a fact. There are rules in place that prevents team from micromanaging a player's training routine over the summer.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
When you've flushed away as many first and second round draft picks as the Canucks have since 2020, all you have left is 'hope'. Some of these late round picks have work out somehow. Otherwise, once Wilander and Lekkerimaki age out as prospects, the Canucks could end up with one of the worst prospect pools in the entire league.

I agree that there’s no formalized, annual event that would allow for the team to accrue more prospects before 19 year old Willander ages out of being a prospect.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
As much as you admire PDG for his tenacity and veteran presence, it seems to me the Canucks would be better suited finding a younger, and grittier player for fourth line duty.

PDG would undoubtedly clear waivers and be a huge veteran addition to the Abbotsford Canucks. And of course he'd be only a hour and half away in the event of an injury callup.

Blais is bigger and more physical than PDG and will likely be the 13th forward, just remember PDG coming back from the birth of his child and being a spark for the Canucks in the Oilers series, could’ve been adrenaline.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Blais is bigger and more physical than PDG and will likely be the 13th forward, just remember PDG coming back from the birth of his child and being a spark for the Canucks in the Oilers series, could’ve been adrenaline.

Hard to say but my money is on PDG over Blais. PDG knows the system, he's faster, and coaches trust him to PK.

How many NHL goals has Blais scored in his career when not coached by Berube? 1? Like literally, I think the last NHL goal Blais has scored in the NHL when not coached by Berube was in 17-18. He scored 0 goals in 54 games with the Rangers and his one goal last season came in the 3rd game (when Berube was still coach).

Reactions: Vector

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Hard to say but my money is on PDG over Blais. PDG knows the system, he's faster, and coaches trust him to PK.

How many NHL goals has Blais scored in his career when not coached by Berube? 1? Like literally, I think the last NHL goal Blais has scored in the NHL when not coached by Berube was in 17-18. He scored 0 goals in 54 games with the Rangers and his one goal last season came in the 3rd game (when Berube was still coach).
it'll obviously depend on what version of Blais we get. if he spent all spring/summer working his ass off and comes to camp determined to win an NHL job, he will stand out like a sore thumb. there are only a handful of guys in the league that throw hits as frequently as he does (top 5 H/60 since breaking into the NHL). who's spot he'd take in that situation is a little less clear as Tocchet has a massive NSC on PDG. Gonna be fun to see how everything shakes out at camp.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'm asking you. You didn't really answer my question. You appear to be saying that Finnish players like Raty (who came up through the Finnish program but have been playing in the AHL the past 2 seasons) somehow do not know how to "work on things properly" because of a lack of a support system. So what difference does it make if they went the CHL route instead if they are to go back to Finland to train in the summer?
It necessarily doesnt help with their summer training, if they end up doing that in Finland.

They might get more strict regimens for their summer training, that is based on current science. I hold the coaching and physical training in CHL in infinitely higher regard than their Finnish counter parts.

But it at least takes them away from the poor coaching in Finland. And being bounced around between 2-3 teams all season, not really playing for any team, not really being responsible for any team.

It also likely reduces their stress facture risks during the season with actual pro
Okay... but you are saying I am wrong. Completely wrong in saying Raty has the education to work on things properly himself in Finland. Like I said, this is his second summer as a Canuck. I assume that the trainers and player development staff has at least given him a blueprint / workout routine to follow. You say I am wrong and Raty lacks the education to work on things properly himself. So please explain.
I dont understand what you are saying.

Can you be more specific. Do you think Räty can program his offseason training, monitor his recovery with blood work, assess the optimal axial load from different off ice training methods and adjust when setbacks happen.... because... he played in the AHL..?
I'm stating this as a fact. There are rules in place that prevents team from micromanaging a player's training routine over the summer.
Ok.

I presume the NHL teams can program the offseason training for the athletes and show how to do the movements properly?

Set them with goals and methods to reach said goals?

Correct me if Im wrong.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
it'll obviously depend on what version of Blais we get. if he spent all spring/summer working his ass off and comes to camp determined to win an NHL job, he will stand out like a sore thumb. there are only a handful of guys in the league that throw hits as frequently as he does (top 5 H/60 since breaking into the NHL). who's spot he'd take in that situation is a little less clear as Tocchet has a massive NSC on PDG. Gonna be fun to see how everything shakes out at camp.

Sure and I'm not saying there's no possibility for Blais to beat out PDG. As one can tell from my comments in the Podkolzin trade thread, I felt we should have kept Pods over PDG if that was the choice.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It necessarily doesnt help with their summer training, if they end up doing that in Finland.

They might get more strict regimens for their summer training, that is based on current science. I hold the coaching and physical training in CHL in infinitely higher regard than their Finnish counter parts.

But it at least takes them away from the poor coaching in Finland. And being bounced around between 2-3 teams all season, not really playing for any team, not really being responsible for any team.

It also likely reduces their stress facture risks during the season with actual pro

I dont understand what you are saying.

Can you be more specific. Do you think Räty can program his offseason training, monitor his recovery with blood work, assess the optimal axial load from different off ice training methods and adjust when setbacks happen.... because... he played in the AHL..?

Ok.

You said that Finnish prospects like Raty (came up through the Finnish junior system and played in the Liiga before coming over to play in the AHL) "does not have the education to work on things properly." I said that many Canadian and American players just go back home and do their own thing and it's not like a player like Raty doesn't have the education to work on things himself back home. You responded by saying that I am wrong. Completely wrong.

My question to you is how am I wrong? You seem to be saying that Raty doesn't know what he's doing training back home. My point is that he's been in North American for two full seasons. This is his second summer as a Vancouver Canuck. I am operating under the belief that Raty has been shown exercises to work on, what to eat etc. and if he's not doing things properly he should have already been shown how to "work on things properly." You seem to be saying that I am wrong and Raty's training and education would have completely changed had he come over to play in the CHL for the 1-2 seasons that Europeans typically do. I don't see how that can be if the issue is that Raty at this moment in time still lacks the "education to work on things properly."

Perhaps you can start with explaining what you mean by having tghe "education to work things properly."

I presume the NHL teams can program the offseason training for the athletes and show how to do the movements properly?

Set them with goals and methods to reach said goals?

Correct me if Im wrong.
I share the same presumptions but you said I'm wrong when I suggested that Raty should have this type of education. I'm trying to figure out what you are saying here. Please explain.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You said that Finnish prospects like Raty (came up through the Finnish junior system and played in the Liiga before coming over to play in the AHL) "does not have the education to work on things properly." I said that many Canadian and American players just go back home and do their own thing and it's not like a player like Raty doesn't have the education to work on things himself back home. You responded by saying that I am wrong. Completely wrong.

My question to you is how am I wrong? You seem to be saying that Raty doesn't know what he's doing training back home. My point is that he's been in North American for two full seasons. This is his second summer as a Vancouver Canuck. I am operating under the belief that Raty has been shown exercises to work on, what to eat etc. and if he's not doing things properly he should have already been shown how to "work on things properly." You seem to be saying that I am wrong and Raty's training and education would have completely changed had he come over to play in the CHL for the 1-2 seasons that Europeans typically do. I don't see how that can be if the issue is that Raty at this moment in time still lacks the "education to work on things properly."

Perhaps you can start with explaining what you mean by having tghe "education to work things properly."

I share the same presumptions but you said I'm wrong when I suggested that Raty should have this type of education. I'm trying to figure out what you are saying here. Please explain.
Ah.

I think we have just completely different view of what pro athlete training programming is.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ah.

I think we have just completely different view of what pro athlete training programming is.

Please share your insight. You said that Raty lacks the "education to work on things properly."

Most of our players go back home to train. It appears that the difference to you lies in training in Finland itself which cannot be overcome by whatever Canucks trainers and development staff have taught/can teach a player like Raty.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Please share your insight. You said that Raty lacks the "education to work on things properly."
99,999999% of athletes dont have the education to do that.

It takes a team of professionals. I would say atleast a highly qualified athletic trainer and a physiotherapist.

Usually the players go to their home towns and the Liiga teams there for their summer training. At the moment the quality of training they receive from this source is subpar. Or down right dangerous.

Im working with a U18 jr from a top3 Liiga team currently. His jr team had 5 stress fracture injuries last year. 5. That is 20% of the team.
Most of our players go back home to train. It appears that the difference to you lies in training in Finland itself which cannot be overcome by whatever Canucks trainers and development staff have taught/can teach a player like Raty.

But again.

You seem to think that knowing what food to eat and knowing proper technique on the movements should be enough. This has not really been true for quite some time.

Clear goals of what to build and how to get there. (This seems to lack for Räty. He is training a little bit of everything. To me he should be dedicating his summers improving his stride, explosiveness and speed in his legs.)

Consistent adjustment when things go off track. And they will. A pro athlete should train right on the edge of what their body can recover from.

Consistent tracking of recovery via bloodwork like creatine kinase tests.

These are things an athlete is going to know how to do, or even to know they should do. It takes education to become a high level professional trainer.

You can think of it this way.

The NHL players have these three resources available to build their body up during the summer:
- time
- their nervous systems ability to recover
- the amount of axial load their joints can handle

Different exercises and training programs spend these resources in different quantities.

It is a science to get everything out of these three resources with a properly planned training program.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

It takes a team of professionals. I would say atleast a highly qualified athletic trainer and a physiotherapist.

So are you saying that 99+% of NHL players lack the education?

Usually the players go to their home towns and the Liiga teams there for their summer training. At the moment the quality of training they receive from this source is subpar. Or down right dangerous.
How does that affect a player like Raty who has received NHL-level training?

You seem to think that knowing what food to eat and knowing proper technique on the movements should be enough. This has not really been true for quite some time.
That's not what I think. I think that player like Raty should have learned to "work on things properly" - whatever you mean by that. If not, then you're suggesting that our training and player development staff is incompetent?

Clear goals of what to build and how to get there. (This seems to lack for Räty. He is training a little bit of everything. To me he should be dedicating his summers improving his stride, explosiveness and speed in his legs.)

Consistent adjustment when things go off track. And they will. A pro athlete should train right on the edge of what their body can recover from.

Consistent tracking of recovery via bloodwork like creatine kinase tests.

These are things an athlete is going to know how to do, or even to know they should do. It takes education to become a high level professional trainer.

You can think of it this way.

The NHL players have these three resources available to build their body up during the summer:
- time
- their nervous systems ability to recover
- the amount of axial load their joints can handle

Different exercises and training programs spend these resources in different quantities.

It is a science to get everything out of these three resources with a properly planned training program.

So are you saying that the Canucks training/player development staff have not provided Raty with "clear goals of what to build and how to get there?" Are you saying that the education, direction, and training plans provided by the Canucks is lacking or wrong and Finland lacks the resource to compensate for the Canucks' training and developmental staff's incompetence?

Also, are you suggesting that players from countries other than Finland do the type of "tracking" you mentioned when they go back home to train? Take Petey. Is his recovery being tracked via bloodwork while he's in Sweden over the summer? Is Hughes' tracking his recovery via bloodwork at home in Michigan? Is that what you're suggesting?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC

That's not what I think. I think that player like Raty should have learned to "work on things properly" - whatever you mean by that. If not, then you're suggesting that our training and player development staff is incompetent?

So are you saying that the Canucks training/player development staff have not provided Raty with "clear goals of what to build and how to get there?" Are you saying that the education, direction, and training plans provided by the Canucks is lacking or wrong and Finland lacks the resource to compensate for the Canucks' training and developmental staff's incompetence?

Also, are you suggesting that players from countries other than Finland do the type of "tracking" you mentioned when they go back home to train? Take Petey. Is his recovery being tracked via bloodwork while he's in Sweden over the summer? Is Hughes' tracking his recovery via bloodwork at home in Michigan? Is that what you're suggesting?
These training methods would require each player, perhaps a small group of players if they stay in the same city in the offseason, to have a highly skilled trainer monitoring their training. The Canucks don't appear to have this level of investment preferring to allow players to guide their training along the lines the team has set out. This isn't as effective as specific tailored training.

In addition, players who stay in NA in the offseason have better access to trainers than players who go back home to Europe. This is because the sports science scene is more advanced in NA than in Europe.

------

PM, correct me if I got any of that wrong.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Think of it this way. They are the pilots not the mechanics.
I still dont understand what you think they teach the players.
I suggest that, either because of the CBA or because they dont put enough resources in to this. The physical training that Räty and other prospects recieve for off season is not of high quality.
I would be shocked if they didnt ask him to work on his skating. But what he is currently doing here in Oulu is not going to do anything to remedy that.

He is training with his Liiga club Oulun Kärpät and the training is not of passable caliber.
I would be shocked if EP40 and QH were not getting this and more in Sweden and the US.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Think of it this way. They are the pilots not the mechanics.

I still dont understand what you think they teach the players.

I suggest that, either because of the CBA or because they dont put enough resources in to this. The physical training that Räty and other prospects recieve for off season is not of high quality.

I would be shocked if they didnt ask him to work on his skating. But what he is currently doing here in Oulu is not going to do anything to remedy that.

He is training with his Liiga club Oulun Kärpät and the training is not of passable caliber.
I'll simplify this for you. Assuming players go back home to train:

Player A (like Raty): Plays junior hockey in Finland. Been in the AHL for 2+ years. You say he lacks the education to work on things properly.

Player B (like Lassi Thomson): Plays one year in CHL and has years of NHL experience. Does he lack the education to work on things properly?

Player C (like Petrus Palmu): Spent years in CHL but barely any time in the AHL/NHL. Doe he lack the education to work on things properly?

I would be shocked if EP40 and QH were not getting this and more in Sweden and the US.

So you're saying Petey and Hughes are tracking their recoveries via bloodwork at home. What is "more"?

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

I'll simplify this for you. Assuming players go back home to train:

Player A (like Raty): Plays junior hockey in Finland. Been in the AHL for 2+ years. You say he lacks the education to work on things properly.

Player B (like Lassi Thomson): Plays one year in CHL and has years of NHL experience. Does he lack the education to work on things properly?

Player C (like Petrus Palmu): Spent years in CHL but barely any time in the AHL/NHL. Doe he lack the education to work on things properly?

So you're saying Petey and Hughes are tracking their recoveries via bloodwork at home. What is "more"?
Your "lacks education" questioning.... You brought that idea in to the conversation. I think its the wrong way to think about it. I dont believe the hockey players should be self driven as far as their summer training goes. Its far too complex to expect pro players, who need to worry about actual hockey skills and knowledge, to master.

What is more? Umm... I would not be too surprised if they have resources available to them that I am not aware of.

Here is some info on blood work for athletes:

Cool. So how did they share this info? Haha your guy Raty has no idea what he's doing?
Sorry missed this question.

Its a current NHL player who had been on ice with Räty that same day.

He said "Jeesus he still cant skate, he moves his feet but nothing happens."

Then he works extremely hard during the summer but not on anything specific. Just generic fitness training.

Sorry everyone for all this off topic nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bgav

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
5 pages on Sammy?
monkewait-gorilla-eating-meme.gif

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Your "lacks education" questioning.... You brought that idea in to the conversation. I think its the wrong way to think about it.
Yet you are the one who made the following statements:

Räty does not have the education to work on things properly.

Again, you haven't answered the question. Are you saying that all a Finnish needs to "have the education to work on things properly" is the 1-2 years of CHL experience? And they learn to track their blood from playing in the CHL?

Sorry everyone for all this off topic nonsense.
It's off topic (and mods can move this discussion to the Raty or prospects thread) but not nonsense. You are 1) making an insider claim and 2) supporting that claim with what you have posted.

I don't think anyone here would disagree that Raty should have been told that he needed to work on his skating. There's no evidence to suggest that the Canucks trainers and developmental staff have not properly advised what Raty should work on over the summer. But you are saying Raty "lacks the education to work on things properly." One example you gave of what it means to "work on things properly" is to track his recovery through blood work.

You seem to possess knowledge that many of us don't have and I don't think this is nonsense. Raty is in his second summer as a Vancouver Canuck and however you want to phrase it, something like "he lacks the education to work on things properly" is concerning.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yet you are the one who made the following statements:

You brought up the education part, and I responded to that:

That's interesting. Should there be a "Finnish factor" then? @Vector how would going the CHL route help if the issue is their development gets stalled? Finland does do fine producing draft-eligible prospects and they do fine at the WJC. Like in 2022 when they were in the WJC finals and Lundell was on the team.

Personally I'm not sure that I really buy into it. Many Canadian and American NHL players for example just go back home and do their own thing. Of course, given that there are more NHL players from Canada and USA, it's easier to find trainers who have trained NHL players/stars but it's not like a player like Raty doesn't have the education to work on things himself back home.

Then I clarified that almost no pro athlete has the education necessary to program them selves.

As in, its not about lack of education. It was more a general statement about athletes.
Again, you haven't answered the question. Are you saying that all a Finnish needs to "have the education to work on things properly" is the 1-2 years of CHL experience? And they learn to track their blood from playing in the CHL?
Because these two are not directly related.

Going to CHL will improve their in season progress and likely reduce their risk of injuries as a result of poor in season training.

Is there a CBA that prevents CHL teams being more hands on for the summer? If not. Then that way it would help with the summer training.

I would not fixate on the blood work part too much. Its just an example of what the top athletes in the world do at the moment, and one that obviously needs expertise that no hockey player should be expected to possess.
It's off topic (and mods can move this discussion to the Raty or prospects thread) but not nonsense. You are 1) making an insider claim and 2) supporting that claim with what you have posted.
I know I'm making a weird vague claim, but I cant be more specific. And I dont blame anyone if they think I'm talking out of my ass.
I don't think anyone here would disagree that Raty should have been told that he needed to work on his skating. There's no evidence to suggest that the Canucks trainers and developmental staff have not properly advised what Raty should work on over the summer.
They probably give him a training program.

But with no follow up its really not going to even close to optimal development.

Also... If its anything like our sports medicin department in Vancouver, its not going to be state of the art science.
But you are saying Raty "lacks the education to work on things properly." One example you gave of what it means to "work on things properly" is to track his recovery through blood work.
You seem to possess knowledge that many of us don't have and I don't think this is nonsense. Raty is in his second summer as a Vancouver Canuck and however you want to phrase it, something like "he lacks the education to work on things properly" is concerning.
Ok. This sounds cool to me. (Except we can forget the education part IMO)

The issue is that Finnish pro hockey clubs are not up to the task of handling the NHLers summer training. And with the CBA preventing NHL being more hands on, Finland is a really shitty place to train for the NHLers, during the summer.

This all is related to how Finland was left with ZERO medals in the summer Olympics for the first time ever. So many of the coaches even at the Olympic level have other jobs, and coaching is basically their hobby.

When you've flushed away as many first and second round draft picks as the Canucks have since 2020, all you have left is 'hope'. Some of these late round picks have work out somehow. Otherwise, once Wilander and Lekkerimaki age out as prospects, the Canucks could end up with one of the worst prospect pools in the entire league.
I think it is pretty safe to say that we are heading that way.

We are in win now mode with very limited resources to spend.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
These training methods would require each player, perhaps a small group of players if they stay in the same city in the offseason, to have a highly skilled trainer monitoring their training. The Canucks don't appear to have this level of investment preferring to allow players to guide their training along the lines the team has set out. This isn't as effective as specific tailored training.

In addition, players who stay in NA in the offseason have better access to trainers than players who go back home to Europe. This is because the sports science scene is more advanced in NA than in Europe.

------

PM, correct me if I got any of that wrong.
Pretty much this.

I would say the problem is especially bad in Finland.

Reactions: Coffees

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Blais has a tradition of having strong training camps, and then fading a bit once the regular season grinds onward. For that reason, there's still a couple of hurdles for him to clear even before he makes the Canucks NHL roster.

Firstly, he needs a contract, and the Canucks are seriously capped out right now. And secondly, if they do sign him, he'll need waivers to be sent to the AHL. And with the inevitable training camp injuries around the league--I'm not sure he'd clear.

PDG, on the other hand, would definitely clear waivers. He's an older player and would probably be less attractive on the waiver wire. So if Blais shows anything--he might end up being the 13th forward, at least to start the season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Because these two are not directly related.

Going to CHL will improve their in season progress and likely reduce their risk of injuries as a result of poor in season training.

That was my point. I don't see how a Finnish player (who previously spent 1-2 years in the CHL) playing in the AHL/NHL would somehow train more properly/better while back in Finland (at least not significantly). You seem to be conflating your point about Finnish junior hockey causing more injuries and not having the support system for proper/better offseason training in Finland. Those are different things.

The issue is that Finnish pro hockey clubs are not up to the task of handling the NHLers summer training. And with the CBA preventing NHL being more hands on, Finland is a really shitty place to train for the NHLers, during the summer.
I think I have a better understanding what you're trying to get at. So in summary you're saying:

1) 99+% of NHL players are not "working on things properly" because they aren't working with a trainer who are doing things like monitoring their recovery through blood work etc.

2) The situation is particularly worse because the trainers and local resources available in Finland is worse than in other countries.

If this is correct then that goes back to one of my questions. If we are to assume that sports science is better in Canada and in the US, we're still dealing with players going home and doing their own thing over the summer. Presumably some work with a world class trainer while many don't. While the greatest trainer might be in some rural town, if we're talking about availability of resources the odds are that the player working out in a bigger city will have better access to a good trainer who does have the resources and equipment that you suggest are necessary to proper training.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
That was my point. I don't see how a Finnish player (who previously spent 1-2 years in the CHL) playing in the AHL/NHL would somehow train more properly/better while back in Finland (at least not significantly). You seem to be conflating your point about Finnish junior hockey causing more injuries and not having the support system for proper/better offseason training in Finland. Those are different things.

I think I have a better understanding what you're trying to get at. So in summary you're saying:

1) 99+% of NHL players are not "working on things properly" because they aren't working with a trainer who are doing things like monitoring their recovery through blood work etc.

2) The situation is particularly worse because the trainers and local resources available in Finland is worse than in other countries.

If this is correct then that goes back to one of my questions. If we are to assume that sports science is better in Canada and in the US, we're still dealing with players going home and doing their own thing over the summer. Presumably some work with a world class trainer while many don't. While the greatest trainer might be in some rural town, if we're talking about availability of resources the odds are that the player working out in a bigger city will have better access to a good trainer who does have the resources and equipment that you suggest are necessary to proper training.
No.

Thats not what Im saying.

Lets just give up.

• Haha
Reactions: Coffees

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad