Confirmed with Link: W Sammy Blais signed to AHL Contract(Abbotsford) / PTO with Vancouver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Some good perspective here. But I don't know how you account for the absolute fall off in his play without wondering if there was some sort of injury. Maybe some sort of re-strain of the knee??

Hopefully you're right and if his conditioning has improved maybe he can help the team. Certainly worth taking a chance on.
His play last season really surprised me.

coming off a massive bounce back return to STL and a really impressive stretch at the WC it looked like he was back and better than before. Then he signed a 1 year prove it deal that took him to UFA and he fell right on his face.

Maybe there was something limiting him physically (groin is always a popular scapegoat!), but I do think people generally underestimate how hard these guys have to work to make it and how hard they have to work to stay in the game.

Thankfully it won't be a long wait to find out.

I can't recall being this excited for a training camp. Lots of new faces and (my) expectations are as high as they've ever been.

Reactions: F A N and Lindgren

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Good veteran winger with size, grit, tenacity. Probably get around 30 games in the regular season as the 13th forward but will be provide excellent physical depth in the playoffs.

Reactions: David71

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Always liked his player a lot. Whenever I've seen him he's just a wrecking ball out there. Powerful, and likes to hit hard. A real pain in the ass. I'd love to see him make the team.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Always liked his player a lot. Whenever I've seen him he's just a wrecking ball out there. Powerful, and likes to hit hard. A real pain in the ass. I'd love to see him make the team.
i remember him in the 2019 run with the blues he hit everything that moved. he obliterated david backes in the finals hard. reminds me of a raffi torres without the dirty stuff. he also destroyed lucic as well a few years ago. but like everyone here has mentioned his knee has limited his speed. but if he rediscovers his speed again and comes and impresses in camp to earn a contract he will be worth it as spare foward over pdg/aman.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's a good trade-off for both the team and the player. I assume if he shows well in training camp as a PTO, then some other organization might be willing to sign him to a one-way NHL contract. But if that doesn't happen, then he can simply report to the Abbotsford Canucks without going through waivers.

Either way, at least he's going to have a place to play pro hockey next year. I'm sure that after almost two months of waiting from the July 1st UFA period, he and his agent might have been wondering if there was going to be any offer at all. Hence the rumors that he might sign in Europe.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I do think people generally underestimate how hard these guys have to work to make it and how hard they have to work to stay in the game.

This. That 28-30 year old vet might be more polished but the wear and tear adds up. There needs to be a separating skill. There really aren't that many career 4th line wingers who enjoy a long career with no trouble staying in the league

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Never hurts adding a player with Blais experience. Having Blais, DiGiuseppe, Aman, Raty, all fighting for spots is a wonderful thing.
Just a side note. Aatu still cant skate...

His summer training seems to lack direction. He does a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

I dont understand how that is possible but seems to be the case for a lot of NHL prospects here.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

His summer training seems to lack direction. He does a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

I dont understand how that is possible but seems to be the case for a lot of NHL prospects here.
where are you getting this info on Raty from?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Clarification please.

1. he can sign an NHL contract with any team at any time, right?
2. If he makes the Canucks, he automatically has to have an NHL contract. right?
3. If he makes the Canucks, he then has to clear waivers to go to the baby Canucks, right?

so if he looks good in training camp and exhibition games, any team can snipe him at any time prior to him signing with the Canucks. right?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Clarification please.

2. If he makes the Canucks, he automatically has to have an NHL contract. right?
3. If he makes the Canucks, he then has to clear waivers to go to the baby Canucks, right?

so if he looks good in training camp and exhibition games, any team can snipe him at any time prior to him signing with the Canucks. right?

I believe the answer is yes to all 3 questions.

AHL contracts usually have a clause where the player can sign with an NHL team if they havent

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Clarification please.

I can't remember if he's allowed to sign with another team until the PTO has expired or he has been released, but also I don't think that tends to happen very often anyway. Otherwise, yes to the other two, assuming you mean after he signs an NHL deal for the third one.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I can't remember if he's allowed to sign with another team until the PTO has expired or he has been released, but also I don't think that tends to happen very often anyway. Otherwise, yes to the other two, assuming you mean after he signs an NHL deal for the third one.

If a team offers him a contract, even while still on a PTO, he can still sign with that team. PTOs are non-binding.

Reactions: andora

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Blues fan here. Figured you guys would appreciate this:

During the Cup celebrations in 2019, Blues players were at a bar partying and a fan filmed an up close video of Blais saying “f*** you Boston, you bitches.” It was circulating on Twitter. I don’t have Twitter anymore so I can’t find it but it was pretty funny and I figure he’ll fit in well with yall up there. There was also a video of him and some other Blues players (think it was Binnington, Schenn and Perron) leading a “Boston sucks!” chant throughout the entire venue that was packed with fans.

Should be an interesting Canucks team to watch this season as they continue to mold into Tocchet’s identity. Blais can fill a 4th line role.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Dang, that seems like kind of a dumb way to do it, but fair enough.
I wonder if the rules allow for a PTO with right of first refusal. I'm thinking not.

Assuming there's communication between us and Blais and his agent we should be in a great position to match the offer if we think he's worth it.
One would hope but at the end of the day Blais is a UFA. If a preferred destination offers a one way contract he's likely gone. That happened to us and Upshall a few years back. Benning basically got a courtesy call from Blues' GM that he was signing Upshall. With that said, I think what happened with Upshall is exceedingly rare. But if Berube and the Leafs come calling Blais with a one way offer he might sign there.

WTF. Who is looking over his training and development? Is it a case of the player not doing the work? When you say "seems to be the case for a lot of NHL prospects here" you talking about local prospects or Canucks prospects?

I work with some of the NHLers from around here.
Cool. So how did they share this info? Haha your guy Raty has no idea what he's doing?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
WTF. Who is looking over his training and development? Is it a case of the player not doing the work? When you say "seems to be the case for a lot of NHL prospects here" you talking about local prospects or Canucks prospects?
Finnish prospects in general.

Seems like some of the NHL orgs are pretty broad strokes with the summer training. I dont quite understand it. Its not like its that expensive for them.

Sebastian Aho is completely self sufficient in that department. I believe his father is Harri Aho, a former pro player and current Liiga exec, and from what I understand has been taking care of Sebastians summer training regimens here.

Barkov's dad, the same deal.

But then Laine and Puljujärvi didn't have a similar support structure and their developement stagnated.

Just to name a hand full of promising players.

Reactions: BimJenning

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Finnish prospects in general.

Seems like some of the NHL orgs are pretty broad strokes with the summer training. I dont quite understand it. Its not like its that expensive for them.

Sebastian Aho is completely self sufficient in that department. I believe his father is Harri Aho, a former pro player and current Liiga exec, and from what I understand has been taking care of Sebastians summer training regimens here.

Barkov's dad, the same deal.

But then Laine and Puljujärvi didn't have a similar support structure and their developement stagnated.

Just to name a hand full of promising players.

I think it’s why we’re seeing an increasing number of Finish prospects join the CHL too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad