Confirmed with Link: W Sammy Blais signed to AHL Contract(Abbotsford) / PTO with Vancouver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i assume an AHL-only contract comes with an out clause where if, say, san jose or some other NHL team comes calling with a one-way (or maybe even two-way) deal he can sign it and void his abbo contract?

anyone know for sure?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
i assume an AHL-only contract comes with an out clause where if, say, san jose or some other NHL team comes calling with a one-way (or maybe even two-way) deal he can sign it and void his abbo contract?

anyone know for sure?

Players on AHL deals can sign with any NHL team for both one-way and two-way contracts. If the Sharks want to sign Blais during training camp or in November, they are free to do so.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Continuation of the trend with depth forwards signed by the regime......big guys, who can skate and be part of a hard forecheck, but with limited offensive tools.

Not sure who Blais can beat out for a job with the Canucks. Could he be an upgrade on PDG? But if he ends up on waivers and clears, then they have a decent veteran forward in Abbotsford who's available for an injury call-up.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Well, he produces similar offensive totals to Podkolzin so far in his career with the added benefit of just running over everything that moves.

Sure, why not.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Interesting. Sounds somewhat like a Tocchet guy with the aggressive forecheck ... it wouldn't take a whole heck of a lot for him to snag a 13F slot from PDG.

He sure fell off a cliff last year, though.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Interesting. Sounds somewhat like a Tocchet guy with the aggressive forecheck ... it wouldn't take a whole heck of a lot for him to snag a 13F slot from PDG.

He sure fell off a cliff last year, though.
Not sure about how easy it will be to steal a spot from PDG (or Aman for that matter). I think they really like his versatility, motor and grittiness. good pk'er too. For Blais to win a job, he better come to camp in the best shape of his life and ready to keep the motor redlined from the get go. He has a very steep uphill battle IMO.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I picture Blais being a great add in the playoffs when injuries are racked up. He has a shot as our 12th or 13th forward too. Progression isnt linear as we always hear- If a Heinen, Sherwood or Hoglander are having bad years these types of depth options are luxuries.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Would have been a good signing a few years ago. Reminds me some of Roussel - both got futures screwed up by leg injuries. Fourth liners who needed speed to be effective and lost a step or two as a result of injury.

Should help Abby and outside chance could see time in Vancouver.

If Benning was around might have signed this player for 3 mill. and given him 3 years.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Would have been a good signing a few years ago. Reminds me some of Roussel - both got futures screwed up by leg injuries. Fourth liners who needed speed to be effective and lost a step or two as a result of injury.

If Benning was around might have signed this player for 3 mill. and given him 3 years.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record.....he looked great down the stretch in 2023 and in the WC that spring/summer 1.5 years after after ACL reconstruction. his disastrous 23/24 campaign could be something as simple as not putting in the work after the WC ended (may 28th 2023 was the gold medal game).

Reactions: Lindgren

aregora

Jan 6, 2018
Hard not to like this signing. Feisty with a bit of upside.

Doesn't play PK so that could affect his ability to get into / stay in the lineup relative to some others since we already have a few players like Garland and Sprong who won't see any time there and ideally you limit the PK time of Miller/Petterson. But overall, tidy work.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Blais' road to the NHL:

“He was about 5-foot-9 and looked skinny, but he had the puck,” Picard said. “When he played those two or three shifts, he made some plays. After that, he was gone. But I always had this kid in mind and I said I’ll wait until Christmas and if he’s not coming back, I’ll go watch him play the Midget AAA. But the talent he had, I knew he was coming back.”

Sure enough, Blais (pronounced Blay) did return to Victoriaville that season, and confirmed Picard’s hunch. His role remained limited, playing minimal shifts on the fourth line, but Picard said it was funny “because when the team was short a goal, like 2-1 late in the game, Sammy was still on the ice. His puck skills and hockey sense, he was way better than everybody else.”

Picard, who played 61 of his 166 games in the NHL with the Blues in the late 1990s, began to mention Blais’ name at organizational meetings. He felt compelled to summon Bill Armstrong, the club’s director of amateur scouting, to watch him in person, but there was one problem.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Only 28 years old and not that long ago a significant piece offered up to acquire a top-flight offensive player.

Father time can be such an asshole.

It’s not even like the point of the Buchnevich trade in 2021.

In the spring of 2023 he scored 20 points in 31 games for St. Louis and then led the Gold Medal winning Canadian team in goals at the World Championships.

From where he was last summer it’s crazy we’re getting him on an AHL deal.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
My first thought is wow AHL deal... he can't get a one year 2 way contract from some team?

Thinking more though, it's really just a PTO since Blais can sign a NHL contract with any NHL team and he secures a place to play (in Vancouver). Wonder if he had an opportunity to sign with the Sens or Habs to be closer to home or NYI for a chance to play for Patrick Roy (plus he played for the Rangers before).

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
He was 5’9 at 18 and grew 5 inches in his early 20’s? Late bloomer.

• Love
Reactions: CalderSchmalder

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Would be funny, i still remember that whole season we convinced ourselves he was coming to Vancouver because he was a canucks fan growing up

Boy was ass feces, can’t defend, can’t run the offense, hyped up because he was from B.C.

Ass water with toilet paper

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
At the risk of sounding like a broken record.....he looked great down the stretch in 2023 and in the WC that spring/summer 1.5 years after after ACL reconstruction. his disastrous 23/24 campaign could be something as simple as not putting in the work after the WC ended (may 28th 2023 was the gold medal game).
Some good perspective here. But I don't know how you account for the absolute fall off in his play without wondering if there was some sort of injury. Maybe some sort of re-strain of the knee??

Hopefully you're right and if his conditioning has improved maybe he can help the team. Certainly worth taking a chance on.

Reactions: timw33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad