W Beckett Sennecke - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2024, 3rd, ANA)

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I wasn’t seeking his approval. The fact that you’re so defensive suggests that you agree with me.

I don’t agree with you but that’s not the point. Trading down really only works when teams think you are going to take their guy. It was never reported we were really in on Demidov, and rumors for Lindstrom only were there around a month before the draft and then not really again. This isn’t EA, you can’t just push the trade down button, GM’s are smart. Trading any father than that becomes risky if he’s their guy. Especially because Utah was also reportedly high on him.

Reactions: LuGBuG

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Maybe... maybe not, there was talks that other teams liked Sennecke a lot... and if we moved down what was stopping them from jumping above us and grabbing him.

I think Montreal was prob pretty confident anaheim wasnt taking Demidov due to us not really taking russians in russia, and especially not early.... and i think it was pretty well documented that Columbus really liked Lindstrom... so i dont think there was much incentive for Montreal to trade us at 5, other than calling our bluff that we could go Montreal.

After that you start to risk losing out on him to a different team, the asset we get for moving down prob wsnt worth the risk of losing him to our scouts/org.

Maybe it was a bad pick, maybe it was actually us being the "smartst guy in the room" .... we wont know for at least 2 years..... but watching him, hes definetly very talented... and if he can pack on some strength/weight, he could be a very unique style forward.

The pick was wide open for anaheim, we prob debated picking everyone in the top 12 on our boards.
I hear you. I do like the payer . . . just not at 3OA. Only time will tell.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I hear you. I do like the payer . . . just not at 3OA. Only time will tell.
Sure, i think we made the pick with that in mind... prob not 3OA right now, but in 2-3 years and him filling out maybe hes in that conversation.

I get the idea of trading down (i was completely on that boat), but after watching the draft play out, im fine stayin pat and grabbing our guy.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Sure, i think we made the pick with that in mind... prob not 3OA right now, but in 2-3 years and him filling out maybe hes in that conversation.

I get the idea of trading down (i was completely on that boat), but after watching the draft play out, im fine stayin pat and grabbing our guy.
So what I’ll say in response is that I’ve read that his ceiling is elite complimentary player. If so, that’s why I’m not crazy about him at 3OA. Maybe Ducks project him as more than that.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think Sennecke is a better skater than Boldy but not as smart. Both are very skilled, we’ll see how it plays out. I see Filip Forsberg

Reactions: LuGBuG
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Maybe Sennecke and where he was drafted wasn’t that far fetched? I feel like I heard his name a ton more the last 2-3 months.

We all know most (maybe all?) GMs love the size factor. With his growth spurt and playoff performance - I think it was a perfect storm for him to rise up in the rankings. Not a knock on Demidov, just didn’t know how he could do in a different level.

I love the pick. If he can continue to develop and show up 3-4 years later and become a better, physical and CONSISTENT player than Troy Terry I will be happy. I would’ve either picked Sennecke or Lindstrom. (Felt like CLs injury history was extremely overblown)

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

lawrence

May 19, 2012

the scary thing about drafting 3rd is that, it's not prone for errors.

30% of the time it becomes a bust, I am also not even including the ones that become a fringe player. (they will make the NHL but not live up to their expectations as the 3rd best player)

granted, its still much lower for busts, seems like there's a 1/4 chance the player doesn't work out, in this case I'm not saying he's a bust, I'm saying its awesome for anaheim to reach for a player they think is the 3rd best player in the draft, because its never a guarantee to begin with.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
The fact that the Habs scouting team wasn’t interested in him apparently gets me excited about him as a Ducks fan
The "word" is that they were possibly interested in Sennecke IF, AND ONLY IF, Demidov and Lindstrom were taken by 5OA. Also, the current Habs scouting team seems to have nailed it with the Slafkovsky,, Lane Hutson and Jacob Fowler picks, so not sure what you're talking about,

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
I'm curious how people compare Sennecke to Liam Greentree? Also an OHL winger, but taken 23 picks later despite being ranked (overall) a little higher. Point output was higher for most of last season but flagged right before the draft while Sennecke seemed to figure it out:
Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 10.18.16 AM.png

From what I've seen Sennecke seems to be the better skater while Greentree has the better shot. Both are shifty players.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm curious how people compare Sennecke to Liam Greentree? Also an OHL winger, but taken 23 picks later despite being ranked (overall) a little higher. Point output was higher for most of last season but flagged right before the draft while Sennecke seemed to figure it out:
View attachment 892529
From what I've seen Sennecke seems to be the better skater while Greentree has the better shot. Both are shifty players.
Just out of curiosity is that weight correct?
On elite prospect
Greentree listed at 214 (nhl.com 207)
Sennecke listed at 181 (nhl.com 177)

Big thing is Greentree is much more filled out than Sennecke (who went through a pretty recent growth spurt). Got nothing bad to say about greentree tho, i think its a great value pick at 26 for the kings... it was a guy that if we went D-men at 3, that i woulda have liked to trade up for.

As for compairson i think greentree is prob much closer to a finished project.... not a ton of room for him to grow physically, where i could easily see sennecke add 20-30 pounds to his frame and still keep the same speed/skill. They are prob pretty close right now, but this was a projection pick by anaheim.... bit of a gamble, sure... but i think Anaheim had the room to take a gamble/project like Sennecke. Not a pick thatll get much love until after this season.

Reactions: rubenflamshep

rubenflamshep

Dec 6, 2023
Toronto
scoutthe.xyz
Just out of curiosity is that weight correct?

On elite prospect
Greentree listed at 214 (nhl.com 207)
Sennecke listed at 181 (nhl.com 177)

The weight is pulled from the OHL website which is pretty terrible for keeping that kind of stuff updated.

Thanks for your thoughts - they make a lot of sense contextualizing the pick. Sounds like Sennecke was a bit of reach for ANA but more room to grow/improve compared to Greentree = more upside potential

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
Very interesting rise during the second half of the season and playoffs, I'm very intrigued by Sennecke and will be following him closely, EP seemed to really like him having him at 9 were very keen on him being a riser.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Not a big fan of those "flavor of the month" big riser just before the draft.

Recency biais is a drafting team worst enemy.

Sennecke's a project.

Him being picked at 3 is all about projections.. projections where he'll hit the upper end of his ceiling?

He was the player I habsolutely didn't wanted the Habs to pick at 5.

Even the spectacular ('cause yes he is spectacular) plays that he makes, that are supposed to make him so attractive, I don't see translating well to the NHL.

If he dipsy doodles the puck around NHL defensemen skates on a regular basis like he does in the OHL, chances are he's gonna have his head crushed...

Plus he's a good, not elite skater, particularly with the puck.
Rarely do you see him transporting the puck from his zone to the o zone.

He's a typical "inside the o zone" winger.

I don't see a play driver in him, I bet he'll become a good complementary winger.

IMHO, he was a too risky pick at 3, with better overall players still available.

P.S.: this is my opinion based on complete games I watched from him.

I don't pretend to "own the truth". If guys paid big money to do this job can make mistakes, so do I.

We're on this site to share our opinions, in a funny manner.

If you think otherwise as me, good!

I respect Martin Madden jr a lot, so there might be something that I'm missing. Cause he's one of the best at what he does.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Sennecke's a project.

Him being picked at 3 is all about projections.. projections where he'll hit the upper end of his ceiling?

Even the spectacular ('cause yes he is spectacular) plays that he makes, that are supposed to make him so attractive, I don't see translating well to the NHL.

If he dipsy doodles the puck around NHL defensemen skates on a regular basis like he does in the OHL, chances are he's gonna have his head crushed...

I don't see a play driver in him, I bet he'll become a good complementary winger.

IMHO, he was a too risky pick at 3, with far better overall players still available.

I don't pretend to "own the truth". If guys paid big money to do this job can make mistakes, so do I.

I respect Martin Madden jr a lot, so there might be something that I'm missing. Cause he's one of the best at what he does.

Idk that anahiem needed play drivers or guys to carry the puck through the zone. Right hand shot Complimentary top line guy is pretty basically our biggest need as a franchise. (Or rhd, which if we went yakemchuk we’d be having essentially same discussions)

Guys like terry, zegras and carlsson can do it from the forward posistion…. And we got a pretty mobile defense with guys like Minyukov, zellweger, luneau and Fowler.

He’s def got a good tool kit, and a lot of room to fill out. I’d say far better players is more or less an opinion…. Maybe players closer to their final projection, sennecke is pretty raw in comparison to guys like lindstrom and demidov.

Demidov prob was never an option, we just don’t use high picks on Russian players in Russia.

Lindstrom was prob the guy most of our board wanted to go if we went forward…. But maybe injury concern scared us off of him…. Or maybe we just see sennecke as a better fit for the org.

I think most duck fans would agree it was a risky pick as it’s majority based on projections of him filling out and his skills translating to nhl…. But I think it can still end up a long term fantastic pick. Based on what we know now, might be a questionable pick, but in a year or 2 that could 100 % change

Reactions: samsagat

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

Sennecke's a project.

IMHO, he was a too risky pick at 3, with far better overall players still available.

Ironically, many of the attributes you list here as negatives apply to demidov as well, a player who plays in a worse league than the OHL.

Almost every player after pick 1 is a risk in projection. Anaheim thinks sennecke had the highest ceiling at their spot, we will see if they are correct.

Last edited:

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I think most duck fans would agree it was a risky pick as it’s majority based on projections of him filling out and his skills translating to nhl…. But I think it can still end up a long term fantastic pick. Based on what we know now, might be a questionable pick, but in a year or 2 that could 100 % change

I said before the draft, with the Ducks' pipeline being as good as it is at both forward and D, and with all those additional picks in rounds 1-3, they could afford to take a risk on a "project" pick if they really liked a guy's top end potential. It's something of a home run swing, but they're in a position where that probably is worth it ... they got some higher floor types with their other picks.

As for dangly stuff translating or not ... those concerns would have still been there if they'd picked Demidov, heck those concerns apply to nearly every highly skilled player who isn't also a top 5% skater or physically dominant beast. Which left only Lindstrom as a realistic forward option, but we have no way of knowing what their doctors think (and frankly Sennecke's last 40 or so games was more productive than Lindstrom's 32 total). And the best non redundant type of dman left for them was Silayev, but he might have been an even bigger risk in some ways (with a higher floor).

I know he was a late riser in terms of production, and I'm not a huge analytics guy nor do I know how much the Ducks brass looks at those things, but I did also read that his underlying metrics were top of the draft worthy even before he started actually putting up big points.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So much wailing for a kid that is at least two years away from stepping on NHL ice.

Every single kid drafted is about what they develop into, not what they are on the day they were drafted.

If you suspected Lindstrome back and don't want Russians then he was the next logical choice for a high ceiling player.

The only slight risk is that Celebrini and Demidov may have a higher floor but ultimatly all 3 are likely to have the same ceiling.

Just wait two years before taking pot shots and it will 5 years before we know how all three will turn out.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
As a Habs fan, I was so excited to see Sennecke go to the Ducks and I loved the guy but not that much and not more than Lindstrom and Demidov which was suddenly a reality for us

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Interesting stuff on spittin chicklets. Apparently Shane Doan said Sennecke was his #2 prospect in the draft and could end up being the best player.

Never really liked Doan, but hopefully he’s right..

The thing with Sennecke is that he’s very early in his development curve. It’s been said here, but he’s not a mostly finished product like Demidov or Macklin. Going to take some time. Wouldn’t be surprised if he put up a 2 points per game season next year in the OHL and then made the Ducks the following year.

As a Habs fan, I was so excited to see Sennecke go to the Ducks and I loved the guy but not that much and not more than Lindstrom and Demidov which was suddenly a reality for us

I’ll trust Anaheim scouts over the franchise that picked Reinbacher over Michkov.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The thing with Sennecke is that he’s very early in his development curve. It’s been said here, but he’s not a mostly finished product like Demidov or Macklin. Going to take some time. Wouldn’t be surprised if he put up a 2 points per game season next year in the OHL and then made the Ducks the following year.

I’ll trust Anaheim scouts over the franchise that picked Reinbacher over Michkov.

Ya but we picked sennecke over Demidov 🙃

Sure you want to trust us

• Haha
Reactions: MMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad