W Beckett Sennecke - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2024, 3rd, ANA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Lindstrom has injury problems at 18 which is a huge red flag and sennecke is the safer pick because of that. Sennecke just grew 5 inches over his rookie season into this season and may be getting used to some of that height which is why he struggled the first half of the season.
Sennecke isn’t a safe pick at all. He’s an extremely risky, raw, boom or bust type of pick. He currently doesn’t do any of the little things well that you need to succeed in the pros - he plays on the perimeter a lot of the time, tries to deke through defenders in the neutral zone and at the offensive blue line all the time, to very mixed results, isn’t good defensively, or along the boards. He plays an extremely junior style game and has a lot of habits and tendencies that are just not going to fly in the NHL. Every time someone talks about his upside, it’s “if ____ , if ____ , if ____”. That’s as risky as it gets.
Only thing going against demidov is his height. But we see smallish players proving people wrong time and time again.
There are plenty of other concerns with Demidov; Habs fans just don’t want to admit it.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Sennecke isn’t a safe pick at all.
That’s as risky as it gets.

There are plenty of other concerns with Demidov; Habs fans just don’t want to admit it.
The discussion has shifted to anticipation and excitement, and it is natural post draft. Sennecke's tools are exciting, his upside is fantastic and his character is wonderful.

The risk factor with Sennecke is not unlike anyone else in the draft. He is not as risky as it gets. To suggest that is disingenious. He has displayed wonderful growth and improvement in his areas of strength and there is no ceiling in sight. When you hear people say if_whatever it is because there is upside still untapped, not because he absolute must improve an area of his game to project to whatever upside they see him having.

I agree that he plays a junior game, he is a late bloomer and those indiscriminantly take more time. To state the obvious: Helenius is at the other end of the spectrum, he is coached to close to a pro level already. For him to make more of an impact he needs to improve his fundamental abilities, which is far riskier of a projection and thus he is not the 3rd overall.

I would count Demidov as one of the least risky picks but even he has sizable limitations or risks. There just wasn't a sure thing at the top end this year.

I do not welcome discussion on Demidov or Helenius despite mentioning them, this post is about Sennecke.

Reactions: Static
Oct 18, 2011
Interesting stuff on spittin chicklets. Apparently Shane Doan said Sennecke was his #2 prospect in the draft and could end up being the best player.

Never really liked Doan, but hopefully he’s right..
I guess it really comes down to how much weight you put into how he ended the season

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Interesting stuff on spittin chicklets. Apparently Shane Doan said Sennecke was his #2 prospect in the draft and could end up being the best player.

Never really liked Doan, but hopefully he’s right..
Arizona had Soderstrom 3 on their board and moved up 3 spots for him. Ottawa had Boucher in their top 10.

Every year, there are franchises that have fun being original. The only original case that worked was Seider in 6 but the gap was smaller and in his profile as a rare right-handed and productive physical defender, that was understandable.

Last edited:

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Arizona had Soderstrom 3 on their board and moved up 3 spots for him. Ottawa had Boucher in their top 10.

Every year, there are franchises that have fun being original. The only original case that worked was Seider in 6 but the gap was smaller and in his profile as a rare right-handed and productive physical defender, that was understandable.
Show me on the wild wing doll where the ducks hurt you.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

From what I gather the Ducks were far from the only team very high on Sennecke. He has every tool you want in a high end skilled player and there were many echoes that he would be picked much higher than people thought. In any case, Martin Madden has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
From what I gather the Ducks were far from the only team very high on Sennecke. He has every tool you want in a high end skilled player and there were many echoes that he would be picked much higher than people thought. In any case, Martin Madden has earned the benefit of the doubt.
There was hype at the end but from there to choosing him 3rd...

It still proves that the level of draft 24 was very average because usually a 2nd and 3rd pick is better than Levshunov and Sennecke.

Even 2018, which was said to be a weak draft, there was a general consensus with Svechnikov and Tkachuk.

Sennecke has never done anything in an international tournament, has very low offensive production for rank 3 even though he was next to superb players. I have a hard time seeing him as an elite talent. With 25 years of experience, this kind of profile becomes a 3rd line winger.

It wouldn't be surprising if this was a big mistake.

For me it's the WTF pick of the top 30. Choices 31 (Danford, Toronto) and 32 (O'Reilly, Edmonton), by their context are also stupid.

Afterwards, there may be an accounting calculation. It will take cap space to sign all the recent top 10 choices, so taking a less strong but perfectly complementary player in a more defensive role, it can be a strategy but in this case, it would have been worth trading down because he was not in the Columbus and Montreal papers for sure.

One of the biggest surprises since 2018 with Kotkaniemi, Hayton, Seider, Quinn, Boucher and Danielson. 4 lame situations, 1 neutral and 1 brilliant. That leaves you skeptical.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
HF scouts laughed everytime the Ducks "reached" for the big late riser

Lindholm, McTavish, Carlsson and now Sennecke

Has worked out every time so far. We'll see about Sennecke but his upside is immense.
Lindholm only went slightly higher than expected. Not much of a reach. McTavish wasn't a reach. Carlsson absolutely not a reach at all - #2 was a toss up. Really just Sennecke. I wouldn't have done it myself, but pro scouts like him and it's easy to like his talent and rise.

• Haha
Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I mean Anaheim did a similar thing in 2012 with lindholm and worked out pretty nicely

Lindholm only went slightly higher than expected. Not much of a reach. McTavish wasn't a reach. Carlsson absolutely not a reach at all - #2 was a toss up. Really just Sennecke. I wouldn't have done it myself, but pro scouts like him and it's easy to like his talent and rise.
Lindholm was a pretty good size reach, there was a couple teams that really liked him…. But pretty sure he was projected in the teens

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I mean Anaheim did a similar thing in 2012 with lindholm and worked out pretty nicely

Lindholm was a pretty good size reach, there was a couple teams that really liked him…. But pretty sure he was projected in the teens
I always thought he was projected 9-12 or so. Maybe I'm mis-remembering though. I don't know how to dig up old posts well, but I'd be interested to see my own thoughts from 2012 on him after the draft.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I always thought he was projected 9-12 or so. Maybe I'm mis-remembering though. I don't know how to dig up old posts well, but I'd be interested to see my own thoughts from 2012 on him after the draft.
I was trying to look some up, the mynhldraft.com mock in 2012 had him going 15 to Ottawa for what it’s worth…. But idk if that was an average or just 1 guys list

He was far enough away from 6 that I didn’t really know much about him because didn’t seem like a realistic option

Reactions: CanadienShark

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad