Vosters replaced by Flames broadcaster Rick Ball

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
Thank you!

IMG_9259.png

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Whoever hired Vosters should re-evaluate what led them to make that choice. Was a terrible hire from the beginning. He seems like a really upbeat and energetic guy and I never want to see anyone lose their job but man, he was truly terrible. His hockey knowledge was non-existent.
Yeah, as I said in the other thread, I don't think it's really his fault. Seems like a nice guy, just wasn't ready for such a big job. I think he can be a good broadcaster, maybe not necessarily in Hockey but this was too much too fast for a guy who was calling High A baseball not long ago.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
You better be good if you broadcast for a Canadian hockey team.....the good thing is we didn't have to trade away a 2nd round pick to get him!!!!

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

16. Calgary Flames

The Broadcast: Sportsnet West carries Flames games, with Rick Ball on play-by-play and Kelly Hrudey on color. Greg Millen fills in for select games on color.

Local ranking: 17

ADVERTISEMENT

National ranking: 16

Last season: 18

The results: This is the second consecutive season in which Calgary has finished middle of the pack rather than bottom third in the league — that’s solid progress. Ball, with his even-keeled nature, deep, rich voice and knack for picking up details, was highlighted as the broadcast’s biggest strength by far.

“Rick Ball is consistently excellent,” wrote a Flames fan. “Articulate and has a solid sense of reading the game and anticipating big moments.”

“Ball isn’t flashy but he does a great job giving consistent and complete commentary with the right proportion of emotional emphasis,” added another fan. “He’s not a homer, he never misses obvious/interesting occurrences completely, and he helps make big moments feel big.”

The reviews for Hrudey’s color work were mostly solid but more mixed. Millen, who occasionally fills in for Hrudey, has grown on Flames fans. Host Ryan Leslie is very popular as well.

This was voted a quality broadcast overall, with Ball’s play-by-play commentary emerging as the standout feature.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad