Voracek All-Star MVP Snub

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
It was voted on by fans. I imagine at least 20,000 people at the stadium voted for Johansen. It's not as much a snub as it is not really an MVP award. More like most popular player award

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
what he did with Gaudreau won him mvp for the weekend and will leave a longer lasting memory than whomever won this years all star game mvp.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I really don't get worked up over the decision. I am glad Jake had a good game but honestly. It was a glorified game of pond hockey. no defense was played at all and the goalies acted like they didn't care either.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
It was voted on by fans. I imagine at least 20,000 people at the stadium voted for Johansen. It's not as much a snub as it is not really an MVP award. More like most popular player award

I believe it was selected through Twitter... I could be wrong though... in any case it was as silly as some of the Skill Competition winners the night before being that way... Why bother when it becomes either a fan favorite or ballot stuffing situation?

... But why not take a page out of that book and determine the NHL OT Tie Breaking Skills Competition ShootOut winner be determined through a fan voting Internet process? Then maybe the Flyers can win some. :sarcasm:

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
what he did with Gaudreau won him mvp for the weekend and will leave a longer lasting memory than whomever won this years all star game mvp.

I am in the backwoods, so excuse my ignorance, what did he do with Gaudreau?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I am in the backwoods, so excuse my ignorance, what did he do with Gaudreau?

He used him as kind of a "doll" to do his break away challenge, Johanson did it with a kid, which was cute. Voracek did it with an adult, which was funny.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
He used him as kind of a "doll" to do his break away challenge, Johanson did it with a kid, which was cute. Voracek did it with an adult, which was funny.

the **** giroux was doing; i dont think most people ( especially those who don't play the game) realize how difficult some of that **** was to do haha. even though he ****ed up the rest of it, catching those lobbed pucks on his blade was probably the hardest thing anyone did haha.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
the **** giroux was doing; i dont think most people ( especially those who don't play the game) realize how difficult some of that **** was to do haha. even though he ****ed up the rest of it, catching those lobbed pucks on his blade was probably the hardest thing anyone did haha.

I don't think I saw Giroux.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah I was like how in the bloody hell did he just catch that on his blade?!?!?!
But G didn't get the love from the fans he should have, JR was giving him his full due for the difficulty of what he was doing

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Yeah I was like how in the bloody hell did he just catch that on his blade?!?!?!
But G didn't get the love from the fans he should have, JR was giving him his full due for the difficulty of what he was doing

I feel like what G was doing only hockey players could really appreciate it.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

The three finalists were voted by fans (Tavares, Johansson, Bergeron)...But I think people there chose Johansson. I remember hearing in the background while waiting things being said like "its Tavares, Bergeron, or Johansson: and "lets go with him...he had a couple, right?".

It was rigged. Not that it really matters, but as stupid as the All Star game is I thought it was pretty entertaining...except for the constant catering to the home crowd.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Giroux's shootout attempts had to be the most creative I've seen in a long time. So skilled, too! You can see that even Stamkos was impressed when G caught that puck on his blade!

Voracek though... :laugh:

Anyway, Jake or Tavares definitely deserved MVP, but who cares. I personally just enjoyed seeing our guys get some national recognition.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
It's a game for the fans. Why not let them pick?

Actually, IMO the All Star Weekend should be about the players and honoring them... As it was, it was a mockery having the players try and perform difficult tasks only to have it mean nothing. I suppose it was the NBA Slam Dunk Competition back a few years that started all this messing around crap.

It may be just me but from Giroux's expressions when the winner was announced I believe he was not a happy camper... unless it was just that he didn't really care. It is just that G is always cheerful guy almost always smiling (except after a loss on the ice).

But... as was basically brought up correctly earlier... Who cares?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The #1 thing i'm sick of when it comes to the NHL is the obsessive knob-gobbling of Patrice Bergeron. I get it. He's a good two-way center. He's not the only one though. The guy can be completely invisible in an entire nationally televised game and still be the player most talked about. The fact that he was an AS game MVP nominee ahead of Voracek is stupifying to say the least. Fans are stupid.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I get what you are saying about Bergeron, but i feel the same way about toews. I feel like he is being pushed upon the us as the face of the nhl and its just not oging to happen.

He is the most overrated player ive ever seen in my entire life.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I didn't know where else to post this, so it's going here. On Voracek's third attempt (30 Thoughts on SportsNet):
"Jakub Voracek was supposed to peel off his Flyers jersey to reveal a Rick Nash Columbus sweater, but called an audible when Johansen used seven-year old Cole Vogt as a helper, hilariously grabbing Gaudreau instead. Unconfirmed rumour: it was Ryan Suter’s idea."

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I didn't know where else to post this, so it's going here. On Voracek's third attempt (30 Thoughts on SportsNet):
"Jakub Voracek was supposed to peel off his Flyers jersey to reveal a Rick Nash Columbus sweater, but called an audible when Johansen used seven-year old Cole Vogt as a helper, hilariously grabbing Gaudreau instead. Unconfirmed rumour: it was Ryan Suter’s idea."

Are we to believe that Gaudreau knew nothing about it and just went with the flow?... Or maybe it was that he learned about the plan and agree before Jake went out there for his third attempt?

Either way, it was so funny... I was floored by it... never seeing it coming. :laugh:

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
A better question is, why would anyone care?

Thank you.....I agree. The All-Star game is almost as pointless as an alumni game. It's a show for the attending audience.
I think the best part of these all-star weekends are the skills competition......the rest is just ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad