Injury Report: Vol. 5 (Updates in First Post) | Practice @ UPMC66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Having zero playoff games to his resume he probably wanted to see how he would respond to a team with their season on the line that would be playing with high intensity. Good preparation for the playoffs, considering Murray only has like a quarter season of experience.

You mean the other dozen games or so against teams battling for the playoffs prior to that game wasn't enough? That game, and that game alone, would showcase Murray's mettle, but the prior dozen starts gave zero indication how he'd handle playoff intensity?

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
It's freak bad luck, nothing more. It's rare for a goaltender to get injured in any particular game. He could've gotten injured in practice as well.

With the way the Flyers were playing the previous game, I would of easily sat Murray. Not sure if everything was intentional or not but Simmonds slashing Murray's neck was shady as hell.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
It almost sounds like Murray can play but they think Zatkoff has played well enough that they don't want to put him in cold like they would Fleury? If true, unfortunate bias against younger player. If Murray is healthy, he should play.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
It almost sounds like Murray can play but they think Zatkoff has played well enough that they don't want to put him in cold like they would Fleury? If true, unfortunate bias against younger player. If Murray is healthy, he should play.

No. That's not what it sounds like at all.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
And using hindsight to do so.

How am I using hindsight? I missed that game because I was in Dallas visiting family but I assumed he would sit Murray. I guess I should logged on here to say he should do it, but I had other things going on. I'm using my brain to say that there was no real benefit, IMO, to playing Murray in that game. Even if a minor risk of getting injured (a similar risk for both Sid and Letang), you have to think about what's best for the team. Sitting Murray, their current starter (with a mediocre back up behind him), is best for the team.

I'm using hindsight only to say how much that decision potentially screwed up our playoff chances. No one could predict how long Fleury would be out or what a potential Murray injury would look like. But knowing the situation at hand prior to the game, the wise move was to sit Murray.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I actually think the Pens CAN win with Zatkoff and Lovejoy, Cole, and Maatta in the lineup, I just think it's a lot harder. I'm still optimistic, just frustrated that personnel decisions are again hurting their chances.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
How am I using hindsight? I missed that game because I was in Dallas visiting family but I assumed he would sit Murray. I guess I should logged on here to say he should do it, but I had other things going on. I'm using my brain to say that there was no real benefit, IMO, to playing Murray in that game. Even if a minor risk of getting injured (a similar risk for both Sid and Letang), you have to think about what's best for the team. Sitting Murray, their current starter (with a mediocre back up behind him), is best for the team.

I'm using hindsight only to say how much that decision potentially screwed up our playoff chances. No one could predict how long Fleury would be out or what a potential Murray injury would look like. But knowing the situation at hand prior to the game, the wise move was to sit Murray.

I'm with Shady on this one. I didnt watch the game. But I had read that Sid and Letang were sitting .. and that was it. I thought it was odd that he wouldnt have sat Murray, only because MAF was already injured.

If MAF was able to play that game, I would have sat him and played Murray.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven

I doubt that is true. Whilst Murray is not the second coming yet (he does have troubles tracking the puck at times, looking around wildly for it), Zatkoff's problems arise from puck-tracking troubles as well, but are exacerbated by the slowest lateral movement I have seen in the NHL for quite some time. In game 2, one of the open net goals would have been saved by both Fleury and Murray, since it was an awful shot straight through the middle of the goal, but Zatkoff's pushoff is so slow or powerless it doesn't matter if the shooter is precise or not.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I doubt that is true. Whilst Murray is not the second coming yet (he does have troubles tracking the puck at times, looking around wildly for it), Zatkoff's problems arise from puck-tracking troubles as well, but are exacerbated by the slowest lateral movement I have seen in the NHL for quite some time. In game 2, one of the open net goals would have been saved by both Fleury and Murray, since it was an awful shot straight through the middle of the goal, but Zatkoff's pushoff is so slow or powerless it doesn't matter if the shooter is precise or not.

Absolutely. I am pretty encouraged that Murray is an option for tonight. I am of the mind that if he's good to go, he needs to go and shake off the rust so he's back to form for Game 4. If we can win Game 4 to make it 2 - 2 and have a good starting goalie, I am confident this team wins 2 of 3 with two of those games at home.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
It's freak bad luck, nothing more. It's rare for a goaltender to get injured in any particular game. He could've gotten injured in practice as well.

The Flyer player went right into the crease on his own, Simmonds sticked him in the neck the previous game. I call BS on it being a freak injury, they did that stuff on purpose.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Not that I really want to get into this debate, but for people saying that Sully's decision to start Murray against Philly was a good one, because he needed to experience a playoff atmosphere game, I think you are all forgetting one important thing. Before the playoffs when was Zatkoff's last start? With the injury history and the potential bad goaltending that the Pens have had, don't you think it would have been a good idea to get your potential back-up goalie into a game, just to get them feeling the back and the emotion of a playoff style game? Starting Murray against Philly was a mistake, however it is done and there is nothing that can change that. Its just too bad that this team has never been able to play with the required confidence that they need to win, when Zatkoff is in net.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Look at game 2. Goals 2 and 4. Which goalie will stop those? Especially #4 when things are tense and you're trying to build momentum.

Zatkoff let them in, #4 at a very inopportune time. We need a goal that will keep us in the game and make the big saves - similar to what Zatkoff did in game 1.

Who gives you the best chance to do that?

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Look at game 2. Goals 2 and 4. Which goalie will stop those? Especially #4 when things are tense and you're trying to build momentum.

Zatkoff let them in, #4 at a very inopportune time. We need a goal that will keep us in the game and make the big saves - similar to what Zatkoff did in game 1.

Not Jarry if Murray isn't ready. If Murray is ready, I don't think Sullivan is keeping him out in favor of JZ. I honestly think they are waiting on full doctor clearance.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008

Lundqivst? Someone kidnap him and through a zatcoff jersey on.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not blaming Sullivan too much for the decision to start Murray because it might not have been his decision. And even if it was, Rutherford could've vetoed it. It's on the coaching staff and front office collectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad