Player Discussion Vitali Kravtsov - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Worth noting that the KHL is kind of a weird league, and that success tends to translate in a less than linear fashion between the KHL and NHL possibly moreso than any other high-end league. Reid Boucher and Nikolay Goldobin were 1-2 and goals and tied for 2nd in the league for points last season.

I think Sheldon Rempal might currently have more points than Kravtsov.

I wouldn't say it's a weird league. The KHL is closer to the AHL than NHL. Success in the KHL tends to translate very well to the AHL (although not as much vice versa). A star AHL player who isn't slow by AHL standards will likely do well at the KHL level. It probably has a lot to do with time and space and defense. A lot of star AHL players can't translate their games to the NHL because of time and space and defense.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I'm cheering for Kravtsov, as I do for any player with a remote chance to contribute somehow to the organization. The big downer for me is not how he played when he was here and not his KHL production, but the mere fact that he left.

The AHL team is just down the street. If he really wanted that NHL career and really believed in himself, he would have taken the trip to Abby with the goal of showing the organization that he was a big-leaguer by the middle of the current season. He didn't. He doesn't believe. I'd be shocked if he comes back.

It reminds me very, very vaguely of when Jonathan Dahlen chose to stay in the Allsvenskan another season rather than moving up the SHL. Sure, it showed loyalty to his club, but in the moment it felt like I knew ... yeah, this guy isn't going to make it.
Depends on what sort of salary they were offering him in the AHL methinks. And he spent a year in the AHL already. It really depends on what sort of money he is getting. Certainly he is more likely to want to play in Russia where he is at home if there is no financial benefit of playing in the AHL.

give him a decent 2 way contract next year with an out clause in it allowing him to go home. Say $1.2M / $500K. He's not an UFA until 2027 (I Think) and I don't think he has to clear waivers next year. I can understand him not want to play in the minors on an ELC. Have no idea what his AHL salary was when he was here.

Edit - just a note, when he got sent to the minors in NY he was getting $70/yr . I can see why he left for Russia when they tried to assign him the next time around. Its a flaw in the system. Sadly, North American players don't have this option.

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Depends on what sort of salary they were offering him in the AHL methinks. And he spent a year in the AHL already. It really depends on what sort of money he is getting. Certainly he is more likely to want to play in Russia where he is at home if there is no financial benefit of playing in the AHL.

give him a decent 2 way contract next year with an out clause in it allowing him to go home. Say $1.2M / $500K. He's not an UFA until 2027 (I Think) and I don't think he has to clear waivers next year. I can understand him not want to play in the minors on an ELC. Have no idea what his AHL salary was when he was here.

Edit - just a note, when he got sent to the minors in NY he was getting $70/yr . I can see why he left for Russia when they tried to assign him the next time around. Its a flaw in the system. Sadly, North American players don't have this option.
I get the money issue. If that's what he prioritized, again, I think that tells us he's gone. He wouldn't bet on himself to make his AHL stay a short one.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I get the money issue. If that's what he prioritized, again, I think that tells us he's gone. He wouldn't bet on himself to make his AHL stay a short one.
Have no idea what he makes in the KHL, but a decent AHL salary might entice him to give it another shot. He can try a year where he accepts time in Abby to try and get to a NHL salary. I doubt he makes much more than NHL minimum. From what I could find out a few years ago, most of the teams have a total payroll in the KHL of about 20% of the NHL.

edit - so it's likely that salaries average out at about 20% of NHL on average, but but lesser players probably make a higher percentage of a teams salary. A reasonable take is that someone like Kravtsov makes about 40% of an NHL salary, or about $400K/yr. I am, of course, pulling these numbers out of my ass. If someone has real knowledge, please illuminate me.

Edit 2 - Okay so I found this - KHL Ultimate Guide- The Wildest League In The World - which sort of confirms what I posted above. Their cap is 10% of the NHL cap right now, but lots of reason to believe you can probably double that for the better off teams, since it is a soft cap.

Edit 3 - By the way that article is a worthwhile read for anyone who wants to know more about what the KHL is like. Not sure when it was written, but the exchange rate is only down a little from what is indicated here. Of note, their minimum salary cap is about $3M US. The Max is around $10M, but I gather no checks to see if someone is getting paid under the table.

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Have no idea what he makes in the KHL, but a decent AHL salary might entice him to give it another shot. He can try a year where he accepts time in Abby to try and get to a NHL salary. I doubt he makes much more than NHL minimum. From what I could find out a few years ago, most of the teams have a total payroll in the KHL of about 20% of the NHL.
I hope he rocks the rest of the season in the KHL, comes back and rocks the AHL, and is playing terrifically in the Canucks top 6 by November 2026.

I'm also hoping to hear back from The New Yorker about that story I submitted in '89.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad