Vince Dunn

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He is only 22, and despite struggling (especially defensively!) this season, it is far too early to categorize Dunn. While I agree that there are similarities to Shattenkirk's style of play, I hope he doesn't follow that line of development. I would like to see Dunn hone his defensive game and become a more rounded, two-way player. He has all the tools. It is up to him to provide the effort to become more than a one-dimensional player.
I don’t see the Shatty in him. Shatty seemed to play cerebral game and Dunn is more aggressive. Dunn is faster, better puck handler, and more physical but Shatty was better in offensive zone.

Reactions: Klank Loves You

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
He definitely needs to improve defensively. Love his mobility and shot. His defense has steadied recently but it was atrocious the first half of the season. I was really high on him after last year, but his first few months this season have cooled my jets on his all around game going forward. Hopefully, Dunner rounds out his game.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
Anybody watched closer how Dunn has played in Seattle?

He has played 22GP 2+8=10 -9 and ice time AAV 19:22. Looks like he is playing 1st pair recent games.

Vince Dunn Stats and News
i only watched the end of 1 kraken game so far and they kept him out there the whole overtime ...whats he supposed to do ?

he is what he is ....i would take him back in a heartbeat

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Cool story Ranksu!
giphy.gif

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
I live in Seattle and have seen most of the Kraken games. Dunn is exactly what he was in St Louis. He excites the fans with his skating and
offense. However, he is good for at least two bone head plays per game. Bad passes, out of position, and a general lack of confidence on defense.
Early this season his play was terrible. He suffered by not having coaching and talent around him like he had in St Louis. He didn't go out an grab a top line spot for the Kraken. Lately, he is playing top line minutes due to injuries. His play has improved, but Seattle for the most part plays a haphazard style of hockey and this shields his weaknesses. Dunn is young and has talent, whether he ever gains the confidence mentally to play defense is the big question. As a long time Blues fan, if Dunn was still a Blue I doubt he would help the team that much defensively.

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
I live in Seattle and have seen most of the Kraken games. Dunn is exactly what he was in St Louis. He excites the fans with his skating and
offense. However, he is good for at least two bone head plays per game. Bad passes, out of position, and a general lack of confidence on defense.
Early this season his play was terrible. He suffered by not having coaching and talent around him like he had in St Louis. He didn't go out an grab a top line spot for the Kraken. Lately, he is playing top line minutes due to injuries. His play has improved, but Seattle for the most part plays a haphazard style of hockey and this shields his weaknesses. Dunn is young and has talent, whether he ever gains the confidence mentally to play defense is the big question. As a long time Blues fan, if Dunn was still a Blue I doubt he would help the team that much defensively.
Great analysis. I wonder how playing for a less talented team in Seattle will impact, if at all, his long term development. He certainly has not looked that improved this season, especially on defense. It's more of the same without the surrounding talent.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
Great analysis. I wonder how playing for a less talented team in Seattle will impact, if at all, his long-term development. He certainly has not looked that improved this season, especially on defense. It's more of the same without the surrounding talent.
Ignore. Meant to hit edit instead of Reply. :(

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Great analysis. I wonder how playing for a less talented team in Seattle will impact, if at all, his long term development. He certainly has not looked that improved this season, especially on defense. It's more of the same without the surrounding talent.
He is 25. Blues are not stupid. They obviously didn’t believe he was going to be top pair guy. If he was gonna be star that some seem to think, we likely woulda known by now.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I have no idea who this is, but Dunn has been with our organization since he was 18. Playing professionally with us since 20. 4 years on Blues. Don't you thin if he was next Bobby Orr we would have inkling by now?
That's Mikkola, hahahahaha

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Perfect summary. We all know who Dunn is at this point and unfortunately for him, we have other players who can fill his role as good or better than he can. We have plenty of offensive playmakers and PP guys. Krug and Perunovich are far better passers and can create plays, whereas Dunn is more of a shooter than passer. I think Dunn is much more similar to Faulk in playing style, especially offensively and playing a bit physical, but he's nowhere near as good as Faulk in terms of defense, positioning and hockey sense. As you said, Dunn was prone to a couple of mistakes per game and never seemed great at playing positional defense.

I'm happy Dunn is getting more playing time in Seattle because he deserves a chance to reach his full potential, but that was never gonna happen here. There are plenty of D-men around the league that have offensive skill, but if they can't play at least league average D then they'll never be more than a bottom 4. No disrespect to Dunn, who seems like a cool guy and is fun as hell to watch on the ice when he's on his game.

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I have no idea who this is, but Dunn has been with our organization since he was 18. Playing professionally with us since 20. 4 years on Blues. Don't you thin if he was next Bobby Orr we would have inkling by now?
I think his value in the organization dropped when the Blues traded/signed Faulk and Krug long term. Both are established fast offensive defenseman.

Then throw we have 2 young and cheap fast offensive defenman in Perunovich and Wallman. Dunn's value dropped even lower. I know it's early but wow Perunovich looks like Dunn out there except he's better on the PP.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think his value in the organization dropped when the Blues traded/signed Faulk and Krug long term. Both are established fast offensive defenseman.

Then throw we have 2 young and cheap fast offensive defenman in Perunovich and Wallman. Dunn's value dropped even lower. I know it's early but wow Perunovich looks like Dunn out there except he's better on the PP.
I think you have it backwards to a degree. If we thought he could handle tough minutes we wouldn’t have been so keen to deal for Faulk or sign Krug.

Reactions: MissouriMook

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Fast? I wouldn't describe either of them as above average in terms of speed. Neither are slow, by any means, but they are nowhere near elite, and I would say Faulk alone is slightly above average. Krug can not get back in time when he pinches up high. I have seen it happen again and again. He has great edgework and can spin on a dime. Krug is quick in close, but he is lacking in straight-ahead speed. I don't mean to jump on you, but the narrative that the Blues defense got smaller and faster is false. They got smaller, but not faster. More skilled with the puck, perhaps, but not faster.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
Fast? I wouldn't describe either of them as above average in terms of speed. Neither are slow, by any means, but they are nowhere near elite, and I would say Faulk alone is slightly above average. Krug can not get back in time when he pinches up high. I have seen it happen again and again. He has great edgework and can spin on a dime. Krug is quick in close, but he is lacking in straight-ahead speed. I don't mean to jump on you, but the narrative that the Blues defense got smaller and faster is false. They got smaller, but not faster. More skilled with the puck, perhaps, but not faster.

But in Ninentdo Ice Hockey the little dudes are fast!

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well they certainly didn’t get slower either. None of Pietrangelo, Edmundson or Gunnarsson were fast. I’d say while our defense is worse, they are slightly quicker.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

You are absolutely right about the depth, but I think Perunovich is a far better passer while Dunn seems more of a threat to score goals and plays more physically. But Dunn would be redundant on this team, that's for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad