Friedman: Vince Dunn available, Blues looking for a first round pick

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I wonder if the NYR might be interested in Dunn. He fits the age group of their young core, and I think they could use some help on LD. I would be looking for futures in return, in particular, a RD with some size who is a couple of years away. Would deal around Dunn and maybe another prospect for Braden Schneider be possible?
They could trade thier first. They have plenty of prospects.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I wonder if the NYR might be interested in Dunn. He fits the age group of their young core, and I think they could use some help on LD. I would be looking for futures in return, in particular, a RD with some size who is a couple of years away. Would deal around Dunn and maybe another prospect for Braden Schneider be possible?
I am not sold on Dunn enough to give up Schneider, or a first with the way our season is going. We could definitely use some help. We have Fox, Trouba, Miller, and Lindgren. Maybe a dman can make the jump next year, but we still probably need one.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I am not sold on Dunn enough to give up Schneider, or a first with the way our season is going. We could definitely use some help. We have Fox, Trouba, Miller, and Lindgren. Maybe a dman can make the jump next year, but we still probably need one.
If you are not sold on Dunn then go after dermot cheaper, not as good of a player and has very little offensive upside. The old saying you get what you paid for.

RckyMtnBlue

Feb 28, 2014
I'm pretty sure the Blues will need to free up some cap space for when Tarasenko is back. So a 1st or more likely a 2nd +prospect is what we would want in return with no salary coming back. I would also assume only teams that would plan on protecting him would trade for him unless he goes as a rental later in the season. So most likely I think bad teams like Detroit or others would be the most likely as maybe Dunn would be protected on those teams.

As others have said Krug and Perunovich make Dunn expendable.

Reactions: simon IC

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I'm pretty sure the Blues will need to free up some cap space for when Tarasenko is back. So a 1st or more likely a 2nd +prospect is what we would want in return with no salary coming back. I would also assume only teams that would plan on protecting him would trade for him unless he goes as a rental later in the season. So most likely I think bad teams like Detroit or others would be the most likely as maybe Dunn would be protected on those teams.

Are you sure about the cap? Thought Steen retiring wasenough to get everyone signed and ready.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Habs can afford the assets and he may be dynamite with Romanov....but....

We are going to lose him in the expansion draft. Petry, Weber and....Dunn or Edmy or Chiarot. At this point, to us, Chiarot is more more valuable then Dunn.

Basically, Dunn becomes a rental. Not worth any major asset. Period.

BTW...this also the reason the Blues are trying to trade him. Get something now before losing him for nothing.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
. So most likely I think bad teams like Detroit or others would be the most likely as maybe Dunn would be protected on those teams.

Exactly.

Dunn isn't going to push into top 4 of any good teams and probably won't make it to the top 3 on the rest.

For us, a trade would have to be an upgrade to Chiarot. Not exactly a high bar, but still, not easy to replace a hard nosed LHD with a younger player making 3.5 million.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
The Habs can afford the assets and he may be dynamite with Romanov....but....

We are going to lose him in the expansion draft. Petry, Weber and....Dunn or Edmy or Chiarot. At this point, to us, Chiarot is more more valuable then Dunn.

Basically, Dunn becomes a rental. Not worth any major asset. Period.

BTW...this also the reason the Blues are trying to trade him. Get something now before losing him for nothing.

I think they were trying to motivate him. Let it out he could be traded may light a fire under him. The Blues are going to lose a good player regardless of what happens. Either Dunn or Mikkola or one Sanford, Sunny, Barbashev.

Unless it is something really solid, I would rather have the depth as we make a run at the cup then 2nd rounders in a draft where it will be more of a crap shoot.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think they were trying to motivate him. Let it out he could be traded may light a fire under him. The Blues are going to lose a good player regardless of what happens. Either Dunn or Mikkola or one Sanford, Sunny, Barbashev.

Unless it is something really solid, I would rather have the depth as we make a run at the cup then 2nd rounders in a draft where it will be more of a crap shoot.

It may light of fire.....or blow it out. Nobody wants to play under threats.

I like Dunn and I think there is more to him with the right partner. Somebody like Petry or Weber can bring him to top 4, but, with expansion, he's a guaranteed expansion fodder. So basically a rental.

We have a slew of young prospects, from good to likely top 4, but then, we need them to graduate and help with the cap. So none available. Mete? Good but no upgrade to Dunn. Mete and a 3rd? Sure, for a rental. But not likely enough.

In a normal year, Bbinz would be all over this but not now...

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
It may light of fire.....or blow it out. Nobody wants to play under threats.

I like Dunn and I think there is more to him with the right partner. Somebody like Petry or Weber can bring him to top 4, but, with expansion, he's a guaranteed expansion fodder. So basically a rental.

We have a slew of young prospects, from good to likely top 4, but then, we need them to graduate and help with the cap. So none available. Mete? Good but no upgrade to Dunn. Mete and a 3rd? Sure, for a rental. But not likely enough.

In a normal year, Bbinz would be all over this but not now...
Nobody wants garbage for thier young talent. A 3rd doesn't make up for the drop in talent from Dunn to Mette. Blues want a first if you don't want to pay the first then just don't respond. There are about 6 teams very interested and about 4 more kicking the tires.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Exactly.

Dunn isn't going to push into top 4 of any good teams and probably won't make it to the top 3 on the rest.

For us, a trade would have to be an upgrade to Chiarot. Not exactly a high bar, but still, not easy to replace a hard nosed LHD with a younger player making 3.5 million.

Lol he is easily top 4 on a lot of teams. Thats why there are about 6 teams very interested and r more kicking the tires. Lol

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Don't know him as a player so just checked his stats. Usually as a player gets more experience in a league they put up higher numbers, not lower. Why didn't his stats go up in his last year of junior and why did they go down in his last full year with the Blues? Does he quickly reach a ceiling on a team and need a change to improve?

Last edited:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Don't know him as a player so just checked his stats. Usually as a player gets more experience in a league they put up higher numbers, not lower. Why didn't his stats go up in his last year of junior and why did they go down in his last full year with the Blues?
His stats went down do to shortened season. Lol just stop. 1st is the price. Can't afford it then go home lol

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
His stats went down do to shortened season. Lol just stop. 1st is the price. Can't afford it then go home lol
as a fellow Blues fan I am gonna go ahead and recommend you lower your expectations slightly. He almost certainly is not worth a first, especially in the current market with the general cap crunch and expansion draft upcoming.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

No doubt they're interested in Dunn but Schneider probably isn't a guy they want to deal away for him. He was a big get for them at the draft and is someone they think has a 1-2 year path to the NHL. I know on the surface that seems like "oooh.. prospects" kind of talk but they had him pretty damn close to the top-10 on their board.

3 months ago they were potentially looking at Dunn as a guy they could try with Trouba to see if they work. Now Dunn could very well be viewed as just a really good upgrade on Jack Johnson given how well Miller and Lindgren have been playing for us. Hell, 3 months ago the Rangers could've been considering giving up a 1st for Dunn. Now that pick looks like it could very well be a top-10 selection. Crazy what a few months can do.

Reactions: simon IC

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
as a fellow Blues fan I am gonna go ahead and recommend you lower your expectations slightly. He almost certainly is not worth a first, especially in the current market with the general cap crunch and expansion draft upcoming.

Didn't you make similar comments about Allen....

My expectations are this, unless someone offers a first or similar value that meets the teams needs, then they just keep him. I dont see army taking mette, another dman that will not make the team. Why would we take a lesser pick and player to get worse. Maybe we add something to get what we need. Who knows.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Couple of your writers decided that a first would be ok with all the prospects they have..also and attempt to not let Philly get him
Not my teams writers. But because they write it means what exactly?
Philly is in line to win, rangers aren’t there yet.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Work something out for Mitts ?

How about Dunn+Sanford(50% retained for cap reasons) for Mittlestadt+Jokiharju with picks from both sides to balance it out?

Casey needs a change of scenery, and the Sabres need another LHD who can play in the top 4. They also have a lot of RHD depth.

Sanford is a middle six guy that you guys could definitely use behind Hall/Skinner on the left side.

On the Blues side, they could definitely use an upgrade at 3RD and have plenty of LHD depth.

Mittlestadt would have a roster spot until Vladi gets back, but the Blues are pretty low on center prospects, and we need a guy we can send to the taxi squad without losing them on waivers. Next season he’d have the 3C spot to lose when Bozak is gone.

Sabres-
Hall-Eichel-Olofsson
Skinner-Staal-Reinhart
Sanford-Cozens-Thompson
Rieder-Eakin-Okposo
Sheahan, Lazar

Dahlin-Miller
Dunn-Ristolainen
McCabe-Montour
Irwin

Blues-
Schenn-O’Reilly-Perron