Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I am taking a wait-and-see approach to Husso's development this season and not worrying much about his playing time. Management trading Copley last season was a pretty clear sign IMO that they are fully committed to Husso. I would be very surprised if the Blues sent him back the ECHL. As long as Husso gets around 40ish starts in the AHL this season, his development will be just fine. And for the record I am pretty sure he won't have a problem getting at least 35 starts for the Rampage.

I think people are worrying a bit too much about his playing time tbh.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Husso looked great in last night's game. Allen better stay healthy for his own sake.

I was thinking the same thing. I can see Husso getting called up due to injury and stealing the show. He looked that solid last night in technique and skill. Plus it will keep Ranksu in a good mood around here.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I was thinking the same thing. I can see Husso getting called up due to injury and stealing the show. He looked that solid last night in technique and skill. Plus it will keep Ranksu in a good mood around here.

I'm happy if he gets majority of games in AHL and not get benched, 'cus he isn't playing Blues affliate team.

He’ll find something else

Looks like somebody needs a hug?

giphy.gif

Husso is such a happy camper. Good for him. Just one smile. :)

[NHL2]t-277437432/c-52855603[/NHL2]

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Looks like Husso get his first shootout in this year. Sidenote Husso has improve his game when lurking his stats compare to early season.

TheAHL.com

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
You're right, his numbers have improved as he's 6-4-1 now. .912/2.85 compared to Martin's .902/2.81. He needs to steal the show in San Antonio before we start talking about him stealing the show in STL, so hopefully his recent play will reward him more starts.

It seems to me that Hutton has Allen's number more than Husso at the moment, if we're talking statistics, but that's for another thread.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Meanwhile Binnington is second in the AHL in sv% and first in GAA. He's also 9-1-0. It's nice to see Husso back up above .900 this week, but Binnington is really the one we should be talking about

Binnington taking a big step forward would make our goaltending setup next year very interesting.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Binnington taking a big step forward would make our goaltending setup next year very interesting.

Yeah, I wonder if the Blues would want to re-sign Binny again? At this point, I’d think they would but I’m curious how things will shake up for next season as Fitzpatrick will be AHL eligible next season. And does anyone have anything new on Opilka?

Speaking of Fitzpatrick, he just got traded to Acadie-Bathurst. Hopefully him getting off that horrible Sherbrooke team will help him.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Yeah, I wonder if the Blues would want to re-sign Binny again? At this point, I’d think they would but I’m curious how things will shake up for next season as Fitzpatrick will be AHL eligible next season. And does anyone have anything new on Opilka?

Speaking of Fitzpatrick, he just got traded to Acadie-Bathurst. Hopefully him getting off that horrible Sherbrooke team will help him.

Yeah the Blues are going to have to make some decisions this summer. So many questions.

Do we let Carter Hutton go?
Do we bring Husso up to backup Allen?
Does Husso stay down in SA for more seasoning?
Who back Husso up in SA if that is the case?
How is Opilka going to respond after another major injury?

Personally I am a firm believer of taking the slow road with goalies. I like Husso a lot and do see him as the best shot to take the reigns from Allen in the future. That being said, you have to bring back Hutton to backup Jake and let Husso continue to ripen down in the minors.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Blues deciding to resign Hutton or not has a large effect on the whole pipeline. If Hutts is back next year (I doubt it, I can see the Blues get out bid this summer) then I would not be surprised if Binnington does not receive a QO. But if Hutton is on another team next season I would not be against giving Binny and Husso a shot at the backup slot. Both have been solid this year but I will say I would much rather see Binny on the bench and Husso getting more starts and Fitzpatrick be his backup. Its not that I like Binny more, I just want Husso to play as many games as reasonably possible and that will happen in the A.

Reactions: The Note in Ky

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think Hutton is playing his way off this team. The longer he keeps this up, the higher his asking price will be and I'm not sure that the Blues can/will give him anything close to his market value. He is squarely in $2.5-$3 mil per year territory right now and will stay there even if he regresses some (as should be expected). The Panthers gave Reimer 5 years at $3.4 mil per year for some reason. The Jets gave Mason 2 years at $4.1 mil per to solidify their goaltending (even though the intention clearly wasn't for him to be a backup). The Hurricanes gave Darling 4 years at $4.15 mil per based solely on his backup work in Chicago. Bernier, Elliott, Lack, Neuvirth, Nillsson, Chad Johnson, and Mike Condon all make between $2.4 and $2.75 mil per year. Excluding the Elliott/Neuvirth situation, those are all guys who were clearly not signed to compete for a starting job, but were signed as reliable backups with 35 game ability. That's exactly what Hutton is and he is looking like arguably the best pure backup in the league right now.

It will likely take $2.5 mil or more per year on at least a 2 year deal to extend Hutton. This is likely his last stab at a multi-year, decent money deal so I doubt he passes that up for a one year deal unless it is a huge overpayment (which we also can't do). As great as he has been for the last 12 months, I'm not sure that makes sense given the clear desire to have Allen start 65+ games a year, our goalie pipeline, our overall cap structure and our recent ability to make a rotating group of backups look great. I have a lot of faith that Army can identify a UFA for $1.2-$1.4 mil that will succeed in our system if we want a veteran backup instead of Husso/Binnington. That's how we got Hutton in the first place and I wouldn't be surprised if we try to do it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Majorityof1

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think Hutton is playing his way off this team. The longer he keeps this up, the higher his asking price will be and I'm not sure that the Blues can/will give him anything close to his market value. He is squarely in $2.5-$3 mil per year territory right now and will stay there even if he regresses some (as should be expected). The Panthers gave Reimer 5 years at $3.4 mil per year for some reason. The Jets gave Mason 2 years at $4.1 mil per to solidify their goaltending (even though the intention clearly wasn't for him to be a backup). The Hurricanes gave Darling 4 years at $4.15 mil per based solely on his backup work in Chicago. Bernier, Elliott, Lack, Neuvirth, Nillsson, Chad Johnson, and Mike Condon all make between $2.4 and $2.75 mil per year. Excluding the Elliott/Neuvirth situation, those are all guys who were clearly not signed to compete for a starting job, but were signed as reliable backups with 35 game ability. That's exactly what Hutton is and he is looking like arguably the best pure backup in the league right now.

It will likely take $2.5 mil or more per year on at least a 2 year deal to extend Hutton. This is likely his last stab at a multi-year, decent money deal so I doubt he passes that up for a one year deal unless it is a huge overpayment (which we also can't do). As great as he has been for the last 12 months, I'm not sure that makes sense given the clear desire to have Allen start 65+ games a year, our goalie pipeline, our overall cap structure and our recent ability to make a rotating group of backups look great. I have a lot of faith that Army can identify a UFA for $1.2-$1.4 mil that will succeed in our system if we want a veteran backup instead of Husso/Binnington. That's how we got Hutton in the first place and I wouldn't be surprised if we try to do it again.
Well thought out post.

Some thoughts:
I agree that Hutton will probably want a contract with some term. But, if he would sign a 1 year deal for $2.75, would you bring him back? If Allen goes into a prolonged funk or gets injured, you essentially have either two rookies or two rookies and a journeyman backup. Are you ok with that next year?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Well thought out post.

Some thoughts:
I agree that Hutton will probably want a contract with some term. But, if he would sign a 1 year deal for $2.75, would you bring him back? If Allen goes into a prolonged funk or gets injured, you essentially have either two rookies or two rookies and a journeyman backup. Are you ok with that next year?
I think it really depends.

Goalies are a weird animal. Was anyone excited when we signed Hutton? His statistics weren't too impressive and he didn't play behind a bad team (Nashville was relatively competitive throughout his tenure). Nobody really expected much of him but he's been outstanding and done everything we could've asked for and a lot more. We could sign a second version of Hutton and get quality results.

Right now him, Raanta, Dell, Khudobin, Halak are all pending UFA. None are bad goalies.

The best bet would be to see how it all shakes out with the goalie market. If I had to guess, Husso is probably the backup to start next season barring another prospect stepping up or a better option via UFA. But to answer question, I absolutely would sign Hutton to that.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Well thought out post.

Some thoughts:
Not a chance I bring Hutton back for that kind of money. There isn't another contending team in the NHL that I can find shelling out that kind of jack for a backup goalie in case their starter gets injured. The teams that have two goalies making more than $2.5M are either a 1A/1B situation (which is not the case here) or have been stuck with a guy (like Dallas has) and they just haven't been able to move him.

If you're doing it to protect against your starter going into a funk, well, then I would say you have the wrong starter.

Reactions: Majorityof1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad