Player Discussion: Ville Heinola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Not a fan of him going back instead of staying on the Moose...
He says the biggest difference is the small ice surface and goes to play on the larger ice surface? How'd that work out for KV?
Maybe the AHL teams should be able to offer more than the 70k? he'd make playing on the Moose?
Let everything above that player's 70k count against the cap and his limit is 150k or someting???
I'd agree with you if his ability to read the play on the smaller ice was his biggest issue, but it's the furthest thing from it.

He needs to get stronger and faster. To do that he's best served playing in a league where he's not completely overmatched physically. His hockey IQ is already very good (and developed entirely in Finland to this point).

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not a fan of him going back instead of staying on the Moose...
He says the biggest difference is the small ice surface and goes to play on the larger ice surface? How'd that work out for KV?
Maybe the AHL teams should be able to offer more than the 70k? he'd make playing on the Moose?
Let everything above that player's 70k count against the cap and his limit is 150k or someting???
First of all, KHL is not Liiga. And secondly, I don't think the small ice was such an issue for Heinola that it'd need to be the focus. In general I feel like Finnish players have done better after Liiga than after AHL. Lukko is a good Liiga team and they'll likely challenge for the championship. I also think that in Liiga he can play more to his strengths than in AHL. There also is less travel.

Reactions: Razzle71

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
First of all, KHL is not Liiga. And secondly, I don't think the small ice was such an issue for Heinola that it'd need to be the focus. In general I feel like Finnish players have done better after Liiga than after AHL. Lukko is a good Liiga team and they'll likely challenge for the championship. I also think that in Liiga he can play more to his strengths than in AHL. There also is less travel.
But, I read somewhere he wouldn’t be the best D on his team so he wouldn’t get as much pp or pk playing minutes. He also wouldn’t be getting the best es minutes to prepare himself for next year. To play in the Ligga for the money seems shortsighted as he’ll get top dollar in the big league next year.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
But, I read somewhere he wouldn’t be the best D on his team so he wouldn’t get as much pp or pk playing minutes. He also wouldn’t be getting the best es minutes to prepare himself for next year. To play in the Ligga for the money seems shortsighted as he’ll get top dollar in the big league next year.
So his team has other NHL players? Sorta doubt that.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Whatever his salary is, he's not going back to Liiga because of it. Most finnish prospects benefit greatly from their time in Liiga. Look at Heiskanen for example, a prospect somewhat akin to Heinola. Vesalainen's struggles should be attributed more to him than anything else.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Whatever his salary is, he's not going back to Liiga because of it. Most finnish prospects benefit greatly from their time in Liiga. Look at Heiskanen for example, a prospect somewhat akin to Heinola. Vesalainen's struggles should be attributed more to him than anything else.

Vesalainen's struggles should be attributed more to him playing in the KHL, which not a good league to develop in.
And in case somebody wonders, FEL/Liiga where Heinola went (and came from) is not KHL.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'd agree with you if his ability to read the play on the smaller ice was his biggest issue, but it's the furthest thing from it.

He needs to get stronger and faster. To do that he's best served playing in a league where he's not completely overmatched physically. His hockey IQ is already very good (and developed entirely in Finland to this point).
I've heard before that the AHL is actually a tougher league to play in for high hockey IQ guys because the systems are a bit looser

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Vesalainen's struggles should be attributed more to him playing in the KHL, which not a good league to develop in.
And in case somebody wonders, FEL/Liiga where Heinola went (and came from) is not KHL.

From what I've heard he hasn't been doing too good in AHL either. Point is, finnish prospects generally do very well developing in Liiga.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
From what I've heard he hasn't been doing too good in AHL either. Point is, finnish prospects generally do very well developing in Liiga.

Yeah I think KHL ruined him, or at least it will take a while to adjust to the ice size again. FEL is as I mentioned a hybrid rink.

KV=Burmi.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
He seemed to play a bit in their last game, but not close to his normal TOI. Anyone have an injury update for us?

No points in 4 games now, and may be out of the lineup due to injury. Hope it’s not serious.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
No points in 10 games now. His ice time was a bit lower today also.

Has someone seen him play to say how he’s playing?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

Latest comment about his play from a Lukko fan on Jatkoaika.com:

His hands and movement are fine, but he looks like your basic Dman instead of a great prospect. He loses the puck, loses puck battles and makes junior mistakes. Great solo plays and smart passes haven't really been there as much and his game looks like he's in a rush all the time.

Reactions: hn777

Whileee

May 29, 2010

His hands and movement are fine, but he looks like your basic Dman instead of a great prospect. He loses the puck, loses puck battles and makes junior mistakes. Great solo plays and smart passes haven't really been there as much and his game looks like he's in a rush all the time.
Trying to play an NHL game in Liiga?

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

Looks more like a Mark Stuart report. Nice.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Looks like he's not quite ready for Liiga at this point in time. They should send him back down to NHL.

No but seriously, his confidence must be crushed because he played well in NHL but got punished instead of rewarded for it. Should have just played in NHL.

Reactions: paragon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad