Ville de Québec Part IV: Le Boudoir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Nightmarish is the right word. The game times, the travel and the fact that we'd only play a few games against our nemesis the Habs would give us a truly terrible season. The only silver lining would be that we'd play many games against a natural rival: the Avs.

I cannot see it happening.

Well I sure can see it happening.

Winnipeg's most natural rivals are Edmonton and Calgary - and guess who we played only once this year.

Meanwhile, we get stuck playing six games against Florida and Carolina for not one, but two seasons...

Cryogenic Man

Mar 6, 2012
They interviewed the QC mayor Regis Lebeaume again today.

The questions came up about Quebec and the NHL and he said, roughly-- ''The renovations to the Colisee are all pretty much set, we have drawings almost all made up and an open offer will be in motion come April''

then he said ''Everything is calculated, on time, on target, on budget..I hope''

Another question. Could you tell us what you've heard?

''I'd rather not answer that, you'll understand that my relationship with the NHL is good at the moment and i'd like to keep it that way'' shrugs shoulders.. ''and up till now we're still hoping''

French interview. Here.

http://fr.canoe.ca/infos/regional/archives/2012/03/20120314-194819.html

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Do you have a link to the Bears thing. I missed this and as a Winnipegger, I was highly intent on it being the Jets.

Don't know what to say. I could swear I read that in an actual news story a few months ago, but when I Google search now for it all I can find is mostly just fan blogs, comments, and posts that include it as a possible suggestion. Guess I just remembered wrong.

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Globe and Mail Article

Full Article:

“As we review the events of 2011, we must also note the final agreement on management and naming rights to the future arena in Quebec City,†the company said in a statement as it released its quarterly and full-year results. “Quebecor Media now has all the tools it needs to pursue its goals, which are to manage a world-class multipurpose centre and to bring a National Hockey League team to Quebec City.â€

KingJet*

Proposal:
Winnipeg-Quebec City

To WPG: the history and records of the original WHA/NHL Winnipeg Jets.

To QUE: Winnipeg's spot in the SE

Fair? :sarcasm:

I love the sound of that, then they would have to move us to the WC

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I hate how someone can "own" a teams history just because they are rich enough to buy the last 20 players and the jerseys and colours. History is the collective experience between all the players and the fans. There is no way it stays with the "franchise" if the team moves

It all boils down to Copyrights unfortunately, as they are fully transferrable & can be quite valuable in terms of lisenceing and merchandising.

MLSE ran out and copyrighted "Maple Leaf Gardens" after selling the building to Loblaws & then dropped a writ on their heads denying them the use of that name.

The Canucks a few yrs ago paid big bucks to a guy who owned the rights to the Millionaires logo etc...

ru

Last edited:

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
It all boils down to Copyrights unfortunately, as they are fully transferrable & can be quite valuable in terms of lisenceing and merchandising.

MLSE ran out and copyrighted "Maple Leaf Gardens" after selling the building to Loblaws & then dropped a writ on their heads denying them the use of that name.

The Canucks a few yrs ago paid big bucks to a guy who owned the rights to the Millionaires logo etc...

ru

The thing is though, we're talking about a city that already had a rich hockey history inheriting the rich hockey history of another city. I know you can't take the history away from the fans but as an organization legally, Winnipeg has more appreciation for Hawerchuk then Phoenix and Quebec will. Quebec seems intent on bringing back the past too so I wish they could obtain it from Denver.

I simply wish Quebec could buy back from Colorado the Quebec portion of the franchise records and hand Winnipeg back the original Jets history. I don't see Quebec marketing Hawerchuk or Selanne accomplishments and I'm not sure how much Colorado utilizes Quebec's history.

wildthing202

May 29, 2006
Well I sure can see it happening.

Winnipeg's most natural rivals are Edmonton and Calgary - and guess who we played only once this year.

Meanwhile, we get stuck playing six games against Florida and Carolina for not one, but two seasons...

Bit OT but when was this decided? Would they just not bother with realignment until next year rather than just do it in May/June?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Bit OT but when was this decided? Would they just not bother with realignment until next year rather than just do it in May/June?

When the NHLPA announced they would not approve of realignment, the league said that there was no time to come up with any alternative, and that all teams would stay where they were.

I suspect that the league is using the Jets in the SE as leverage to get a wider league-wide realignment done, and I quietly suspect that the Jets realize that their travel costs are actually lower by being in the eastern conference so aren't objecting too strongly.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
When the NHLPA announced they would not approve of realignment, the league said that there was no time to come up with any alternative, and that all teams would stay where they were.

I suspect that the league is using the Jets in the SE as leverage to get a wider league-wide realignment done, and I quietly suspect that the Jets realize that their travel costs are actually lower by being in the eastern conference so aren't objecting too strongly.

I honestly think they were just saying that in hopes of better positioning themselves for CBA bargaining. And if Quebec is here next year realignment will be even more necessary

Analyzer*

I think the NHL has enough to deal with in a potential lockout than another new team.

Won't be next year, but maybe the year after Quebec gets one back.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
and who is going to pay the 50-60M losses ?

And that is why the Coyotes are in jeopardy if a sale isn't reached soon. The NHL sure as hell won't be footing the bill for that, and I don't know if the City of Glendale can afford to give anymore money to offset the losses of a private enterprise.

I also don't think the NHL wants to re-do the tight timeframe for a move, like with Atlanta/Winnipeg last year, so I have a feeling that in the next month, month and a half we'll probably know what's happening.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the wheels are already turning behind the scenes to sell the team to Quebecor, or while less likely, the party out of Saskatchewan.

I think we can all say this with certainty though... There will be 8 Canadian teams next season, barring an unforeseen miracle.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The thing is though, we're talking about a city that already had a rich hockey history inheriting the rich hockey history of another city. I know you can't take the history away from the fans but as an organization legally, Winnipeg has more appreciation for Hawerchuk then Phoenix and Quebec will. Quebec seems intent on bringing back the past too so I wish they could obtain it from Denver.

I simply wish Quebec could buy back from Colorado the Quebec portion of the franchise records and hand Winnipeg back the original Jets history. I don't see Quebec marketing Hawerchuk or Selanne accomplishments and I'm not sure how much Colorado utilizes Quebec's history.

Wherever a team lands through relo its history from wherever it came is rendered moot in its new market, regardless how many cups, pennants or banners they won in their old home town. Same thing with its star players. Void and competely meaningless to the fans in the new market.

If I was running the Jets or should QC secure a team, Id just go ahead & pay tribute to the past with a Bobby Hull Night, Avco Cup Night, Stastny Brothers Night, you name it, and start hanging banners from the rafters. League fines me? See you in court.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... and good luck to the NHL winning that one. Telling a club and its fans its not allowed to honor its hockey roots and past.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
If there is a shortened NHL season next year, would that work in Quebec City's favor (more time to make preparations) or work against them (more time for the Coyotes to find a buyer)?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If there is a shortened NHL season next year, would that work in Quebec City's favor (more time to make preparations) or work against them (more time for the Coyotes to find a buyer)?

A decision must be made on the Coyotes long before the NHL will have the vaguest of ideas whether or not there will be a lockout next year. It will not play a part in this saga.

And should that announcement come down that the team is moving, the team MUST prepare as if everything will start on time, so it won't play a huge factor.

Then if there is a lockout, it might give them time to put the finalizing touches on some things (sponsorships so no white boards ala WPG pre-season, last minute adjustments to rink ala WPG still having Moose stuff up for pre-season, etc), but everything major will already be done. And since there would be no way of knowing how long the lockout would last you would not be able to undertake anything major since the rink could be needed practically the next day ANY day.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I really hope Quebec City gets a team for next season.....I know you would support the hell out of the team!

Really think this would be a carbon copy of the success Winnipeg has enjoyed off the ice this season!

I know the locals would not blink an eye to signing up for multiple year support like we did in Winnipeg to get the team off on the right foot!

Good Luck Quebec City!

Vinc360

Apr 3, 2008
Everything these days seems to be going in favor of QC... I really think there's going to be a team in QC next season. No matter what happens. The only thing that could compromise this is if the Coyotes find a new owner in the next month or so... we'll see what happens.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
A decision must be made on the Coyotes long before the NHL will have the vaguest of ideas whether or not there will be a lockout next year. It will not play a part in this saga.

And should that announcement come down that the team is moving, the team MUST prepare as if everything will start on time, so it won't play a huge factor.

Then if there is a lockout, it might give them time to put the finalizing touches on some things (sponsorships so no white boards ala WPG pre-season, last minute adjustments to rink ala WPG still having Moose stuff up for pre-season, etc), but everything major will already be done. And since there would be no way of knowing how long the lockout would last you would not be able to undertake anything major since the rink could be needed practically the next day ANY day.

This is a good point. Any work stoppage could not occur until late summer. The Coyotes mess needs to be dealt with in early summer.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This is a good point. Any work stoppage could not occur until late summer. The Coyotes mess needs to be dealt with in early summer.

The leagues going to know early early on in negotiations how real the potential of a stoppage is. They havent tipped their hand on what they have in store for the PA nor has the latter let anything leak out that might signal their intent, be it compliant & magnanimous or the reverse.

Frankly, I cant see that threat as being a hindrance to selling the team for relo, and if anything would give PKP the luxury of time in terms of logistics etc. QC is hungry for a team. Who knows when the catering truck rolls around again? Best you strike now and secure enough eats. Wait it out.

The talk of Glendale putting up another 25M is IMO a total non starter. They simply dont have it. Hypothetically however lets suppose they did. Whats going to change in a year?. The NHL isnt willing to drop the price and in a year itll be close to 240M+ absent the 25M. Way beyond reason, sanity.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
The league will have it's mind on Phoenix by late April.

Negotiations with the NHLPA don't start until late June, so I don't see both things affecting each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad