Player Discussion VIDEO: Swayman/Sweeney Following Contract Extension

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Cam the Genius getting things done. After so many here doubted him. The big guy just thinks on a level we can't comprehend. Always two moves ahead!

the deal was getting done by the deadline, 5pm Monday, no chance it wasn't IMO. Seems like after the original offers if true (which were hilarious) the Bruins did alot more to try to come to a deal earlier, but I would figure this agent wanted to take it to the very end without going into the regular season. He may have wanted to like with Willy but I would think Swayman told him that's not happening.

It was perfect. And it worked.
It worked getting Swayman more money than they seemed to want to pay him and no chance they weren't going to finish the deal. Before it wasn't it like 7.8 or 7.5 to high 8's low 9's or whatever? It was close enough already. Regardless thank God it's done.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
the deal was getting done by the deadline, 5pm Monday, no chance it wasn't IMO. Seems like after the original offers if true (which were hilarious) the Bruins did alot more to try to come to a deal earlier, but I would figure this agent wanted to take it to the very end without going into the regular season. He may have wanted to like with Willy but I would think Swayman told him that's not happening.

It worked getting Swayman more money than they seemed to want to pay him and no chance they weren't going to finish the deal. Before it wasn't it like 7.8 or 7.5 to high 8's low 9's or whatever? It was close enough already. Regardless thank God it's done.

My post was a little tongue in cheek, but I genuinely do give Neely some credit here, and this is coming from someone who's made some criticisms of him in the past. His comments were risky and emotive, but what they did do was shake things up, force Sway's side to respond, and give the whole process a jolt forwards. It made it very publicly clear that the Bruins were willing to offer what any rational person would consider fair value, even if they hadn't before that point. It could have backfired, but it didn't.

You may be right that Sway was always going to sign before opening night. But I'm not fully convinced. As for money, I don't think he was going to sign for anything less than 8, unless he was absolutely backed into a corner. If Neely jumping to 8x8 prematurely cost the Bruins .25 p.a., I can wear that as the cost of just getting this done and putting the whole mess to bed.

On balance then, I think Cam at the very least got away with this one. Whether or not it was truly beneficial is probably a matter of opinion.

Reactions: PB37

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
My post was a little tongue in cheek, but I genuinely do give Neely some credit here, and this is coming from someone who's made some criticisms of him in the past. His comments were risky and emotive, but what they did do was shake things up, force Sway's side to respond, and give the whole process a jolt forwards. It made it very publicly clear that the Bruins were willing to offer what any rational person would consider fair value, even if they hadn't before that point. It could have backfired, but it didn't.

You may be right that Sway was always going to sign before opening night. But I'm not fully convinced. As for money, I don't think he was going to sign for anything less than 8, unless he was absolutely backed into a corner. If Neely jumping to 8x8 prematurely cost the Bruins .25 p.a., I can wear that as the cost of just getting this done and putting the whole mess to bed.

On balance then, I think Cam at the very least got away with this one. Whether or not it was truly beneficial, I think is a matter of opinion.
Yeah I hear you I just don't think there was any way Sweeney and Swayman were going to let it go any further. The Neely/Gross stuff was just old school bad blood negotiating

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Exactly right. It's impressive seeing people deny results. Same people who believe only a cup, is winning (aka results).

Neely pulled a move and it worked. The end.
Are we still pretending this isn't what it's all about? Last two news conferences I heard with Swayman and Zadorov both mentioned it as well. Marchand says it all the time. McAvoy, same.

Shit I can enjoy a regular season with the best of them, but come on.

As for Neely you must have no confidence in your GM in getting a deal done before Monday. Sweeney has never and will never have an important player miss the start of the season, he's too good for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad