OT: Video Games VI

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I enjoyed Midnight Suns' gameplay and tone, even if the presentation was rough around the edges. But I got seriously burned out by all the in-between-missions stuff. Particularly the social events (which, as they are in most games, were pretty shallow, and usually require searching the internet for the right dialogue/gifts/choices during each character interaction in order to maximize your relationships) and crafting (especially having to constantly run around the boring headquarters map looking for respawning crafting materials).

I should probably get back to it. But too many games to play, not enough time, zero energy/motivation to do so, blah blah.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I'd say I'm about 50% through Hogwarts Legacy.

Pros:
* one of the most beautiful fantasy settings since Skyrim / Witcher 3
The town of Hogsmead in particular is absolutely jawdropping.
* almost note for note faithful to the books, from potions and herbology classes, to flying around on brooms
* combat is a blast, with tons of possible attack combinations.

Cons:
* long loadtimes for just about everything
* open world is kind of sparse
* bestiary is tiny

8.5 out of 10 so far. I wish the open world was more packed with cool stuff, but other than that, really enjoying it.
Surprising hit.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Pros:
* almost note for note faithful to the books, from potions and herbology classes, to flying around on brooms

Cons:
* bestiary is tiny

8.5 out of 10 so far. I wish the open world was more packed with cool stuff, but other than that, really enjoying it.
Surprising hit.
I loved it, then went out of town for a week so I didn’t play at all and when I got home I went to play it again but had suddenly lost all interest. Probably just got too repetitive but I agree, it’s a beautiful game.

Reactions: um

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
A new Zelda game this fall and Metroid Prime 4 next year?

Folks, Nintendo has done it again.

Reactions: um

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Pros:

Cons:
* bestiary is tiny

Surprising hit.
Biggest con is no Quidditch!

Reactions: sycamore

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
A new Zelda game this fall and Metroid Prime 4 next year?

Folks, Nintendo has done it again.
If by "it," you mean have an entire presentation with only one game I want to play and that's 80% filled by remakes/remasters/re-releases... sure.

The new Zelda game is interesting, but also I'm heavily skeptical. It looks more like a cozy game than an actual Legend of Zelda game. No real combat, just spawning enemies to fight for you. It looks like it will at least have puzzle/problem solving elements, so not purely cozy, but still a pretty big deviation from the franchise.

Metroid - who wants to play a FPS on a switch? Looks auto-aimed to hell. Metroid is just a mediocre franchise in 3D.

• Wow
Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Metroid - who wants to play a FPS on a switch? Looks auto-aimed to hell. Metroid is just a mediocre franchise in 3D.

Me, and a lot of other people. Auto-aim rules. It's not supposed to be a precision FPS, it's an action-adventure game in a first person perspective, with a heavy emphasis on the adventure part.

And in the context of the game auto-aim also makes sense: you have a power suit with advanced targeting systems that are doing the aiming for you.

Re: Zelda: it's a Zelda game. I'm willing to default to "this game is going to be great" because that's how the franchise is.

Reactions: um and Kazer

Team SWOLEvechkin

Oct 4, 2019
I'm bouncing between Hades II and Hogwarts, after spending a ton of time in FTL, which is a fantastic game.

Gonna wait for the Steam sale in a few weeks to restock the library with maybe Jedi and Baldur's Gate 3. Boy we have it nice these days.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I picked up No Rest for the Wicked based on reviews and recommendations (including here!). But I haven't gotten much time to spend with it. Also finally picked up Hi-Fi Rush during the Stream sale.

Reactions: shtorm2005

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Me, and a lot of other people. Auto-aim rules. It's not supposed to be a precision FPS, it's an action-adventure game in a first person perspective, with a heavy emphasis on the adventure part.

And in the context of the game auto-aim also makes sense: you have a power suit with advanced targeting systems that are doing the aiming for you.

Re: Zelda: it's a Zelda game. I'm willing to default to "this game is going to be great" because that's how the franchise is.
It looks like Link's Awakening redux. A change to the formula doesn't have to be bad - in fact I'd argue that some of Nintendo's ventures with the franchise (going from 2D to 3D for OOT was a big risk; going to cell shading from MM to WW was a big risk; going from the traditional formula to open world for BotW was a big risk) have paid massive dividends.

And I'm 100% with you on MP4. MP1&2 are both incredible.

Reactions: twabby

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Helldivers 2 active player count down 90% since it’s peak a few months ago. I love the game but they really need to add something to refresh it and keep the game interesting.
I still have a lot of fun with it but I came in about 3 months after the game came out so never experience that high player count. I end up playing a lot over night so end up playing with a lot of asian/aussie players, heh.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
FF7: Rebirth: wow what a game! Game of the year for me, but I'm a huge FF-head.

Could have done without a little of the bloat from side quests but that's partially my fault for being a completionist.

Can't wait for part 3!!!

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
Yea, Helldivers really got off to a hot start but I dropped it as everything was starting to feel too samey.

Gonna dive into the Elden Ring dlc some time this week, haven't had a chance to yet. It's always a bit daunting getting back into it lol and souls game DLC typically is difficulty of the base game turned up to the max. Luckily, nothing left to release in 2024 really intrigues me so I should be able to take my time with it. 2025 looks like it could be a pretty stacked year assuming nothing gets delayed, GTA 6 being the big one

Reactions: Devil Dancer

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Helldivers 2 active player count down 90% since it’s peak a few months ago. I love the game but they really need to add something to refresh it and keep the game interesting.
I think if they can add that third faction. Add more mission types and maybe more biomes like why can't we have like a urban ruined city biome to fight on. How about a semi underground biome would be cool where the strikes and orbitals have more limited/tactical placement.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Agreed. The Division II did a good job of evolving the game, I hope Helldivers can follow suit.

Another thing that drives me nuts about HD is the bugs in the game. Probably 20% of the time the game crashes and restarts or I’m close to the end of the mission and it just cuts back to the ship. Super frustrating when you’ve put in 30+ minutes on a L8 or 9 mission and you’re close to finishing but come away with nothing.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Agreed. The Division II did a good job of evolving the game, I hope Helldivers can follow suit.

Another thing that drives me nuts about HD is the bugs in the game. Probably 20% of the time the game crashes and restarts or I’m close to the end of the mission and it just cuts back to the ship. Super frustrating when you’ve put in 30+ minutes on a L8 or 9 mission and you’re close to finishing but come away with nothing.
Oh lord that crash would drive me crazy. My issue is infinite drops to begin a mission where you never hit the surface and then I have to end task the game that is the worst one I've been encountering. Kinda sucks when you find a pub crew that has been playing well for a couple of missions.

I tend to play a decent binge session of maybe 5 hours but then I'll have no interest in playing for a few days. Only to ship modules left to unlock.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Oh lord that crash would drive me crazy. My issue is infinite drops to begin a mission where you never hit the surface and then I have to end task the game that is the worst one I've been encountering. Kinda sucks when you find a pub crew that has been playing well for a couple of missions.

I tend to play a decent binge session of maybe 5 hours but then I'll have no interest in playing for a few days. Only to ship modules left to unlock.
The sample grind is ass fa sho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad