Management VIDEO - Don Sweeney - July 1, 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BOSTON BRUINS GENERAL MANAGER DON SWEENEY
On free agency additions adding size to the roster…
“You know, that wasn't our intention. We've always wanted our pace, ability to arrive on time on the forecheck, we certainly had an eye towards that, possessing the puck, and the byproduct was that we found guys that do that and they happen to be a little bit bigger. But there was never staying away from small skill if that’s what you're referring to, because these guys all have the skill, they just come in a bigger package and they all skate.”

On what Nikita Zadorov brings to the roster…
“I mean, the presence that Z [Nikita Zadorov] brings is important to us. Playing a lot of top four minutes in the playoffs against top guys comes with a bit of swagger, he has certainly seen his game grow and probably get a little more defined in what he's capable of doing. Early in his career, he had a lot of nights out to try and make an impact, and he made it for both teams at times, like all young players do that are aggressive in that sense. Now he really understands his game and what he brings to the table. He’s very excited, and obviously I think his quote stands for itself in being excited to join the Boston Bruins and have a chance to play with Charlie McAvoy if that's how it lines up, and the team. He was very intent when we found out he had an interest in Boston for all the right reasons, and that's why we're excited about bringing him in.”

On why Elias Lindholm was a good fit…
“Again, I think it dovetails off why [Nikita] Zadorov decided to join us. Both players identified a very competitive environment with the culture and the opportunity to fit for both them personally on the ice as well as their family dynamic. Way back in the draft, we identified Elias [Lindholm] as a player that has a lot of [Patrice] Bergeron qualities. Kudos to our scouting staff for following these guys and watching the growth of Zadorov and also acknowledging where Elias [Lindholm] remains in his career and bringing the attributes he does. It’s kind of been a two year pursuit to tell you the truth, wondering maybe down the road, if he would ever get to free agency. Had chances at the deadline to maybe get in there, but it didn’t necessarily materialize, so when this was presented we were very happy.”

On what made Nikita Zadorov a desirable free agent while in Vancouver…
“It started a little earlier, the Calgary run, and I think playing for [Darryl] Sutter was really important for him, sort of got him into an understanding of what he was capable of doing each and every night. You know, going to Vancouver, playing in the playoff environment, we really started to see the player that he's capable of being. His game has continued to evolve, and that's exciting for us realizing how he can complement a number of different partners, depending on how Monty [Jim Montgomery] and the staff want to align them.”

On Boston’s new acquisitions and roster depth…
“Yeah, I mean it speaks to the commitment from ownership first and foremost in terms of remaining as competitive as you can, and putting us in a position hopefully if we stay healthy that we stack up. We've been very competitive, we haven't had the success we expect to have in the playoffs, and these types of players I think should help us in that regard. Now obviously you have to grow around it, and some guys have to continue to move along, and then having Matt Poitras back on the ice today, recovering from shoulder surgery is a great indication of that. They have a Mason Lohrei now in a position where it allows him to…probably take him into the second unit of the power play and grow his offensive game in the right way not necessarily be over his skis at times playing 20 minutes a night in the top pair situation. He can, and he's done a good job, but it just balances things out. But to have those two targets in the areas that we had identified independently with our scouting staff, afterwards with our coaches, and merging what they would like to see in players come here and check it off the box for two guys that acknowledge what our culture and what our intentions are, and want you to come and join that. And I don't want to pass off on the other guys that we've brought in, Max Jones is the same way where he really covets the opportunity to come here. Cole Koepke, a guy that we've tracked and our scouting staff has identified as the guy that can push our competitive internal competition … He's taken two strides two years in a row where he's really taken off, I mean this kid can skate, kills penalties… Again, Billy Sweezey… saw him fight [Jakub] Lauko, and I wish Jakub [Lauko] well. It's difficult to see young players leave our organization and I wish him well in Minnesota. [Adam] Vinatieri we welcome back, Billy Sweezey as I said went and challenged Lauks [Jakub Lauko] right off the draw, so that competitive nature in him. Jeff Viel is going to bring a level of competitiveness and toughness that I think our players and organization respect as well. So, I think we're trying to check off the box to being internally competitive. Do we have a gap there we want to see somebody take advantage of, whether it be Fabian Lysell or anybody else. You look at where Geeks [Morgan Geekie] went into a lineup spot and produced, so we’ve got sort of an internal growth modem, but we checked off a lot of boxes with two key components and then a guy that we feel will internally increase our competition.”

On what makes Max Jones and Mark Kastelic good fits for the organization...
“Well, I mean, again, making this [Mark] Kastelic trade with an eye towards occupying fourth line versatility side of things with his size with his ability to win draws especially on the right side will allow us… you know, Beech [Johnny Beecher] to win on the left, Beech does a fine job in the right, but this allows us to be above 53 or 54 on average on both sides of the dot and start in the defensive zone, both have that size, there's a toughness element with Kastelic as well. So for us it was all of the attributes and a lot of growth. We’re hopefully going to get them into a penalty killing situation and grow there. Max [Jones] has been an intriguing player, not just because of where he was drafted, but the size of the player, the ability to forecheck, the ability to possess pucks. He's shown a willingness to get to the net, can he finish a little bit more if he's pushed up the lineup and play with guys, that's what we're going to find out in terms of Max. But he just plays both sides, the possession game that Monty [Jim Montgomery] wants to have, created a little more anxiety, to tell you the truth, with arriving on time on the forecheck is a big part of the identification of several of these players.”

On any progress with contract negotiations for Jeremy Swayman…
“Sway [Jeremy Swayman] is a big part of this whole dynamic of what we're trying to put together. It’s a priority for us, we're going to continue to find a negotiated landing spot, and the timing is what it is, however long that takes. It's not impacted by what we did today. We're in a great spot to find as I said, the best negotiated deal we can find for both sides.”

On how important it was to strengthen the center position for the upcoming season…
“Well, it’s been a luxury for the organization for so long, and the players that we've had… It was a no-brainer right, [Charlie Coyle] sort of slotted in the three, but Charlie had a hell of a year last year. [Pavel Zacha] had a really good year last year. [Matt Poitras] was on pace as a 19-year-old to put up 40 points, 30-40 points, so we felt good about it. But at the end of the day, you get into a playoff environment, you start to realize like depth at that position, and the guy that's… he's only played top-line role situations, you know, and now he's got a chance to go play with [David Pastrnak]. Like he might have had with [Johnny Gaudreau] and [Matthew Tkachuk] and production. I think the bumper spot in our powerplay, you know, is an area that [Elias Lindholm] is going to fit in seamlessly in that regard, and he wins his drawers, so you start to realize like there's a little bit of okay that's a little bit what we had what we missed. And again, that's going to taking anything away from those guys I mentioned because to me, you know, [Morgan Geekie], [Trent Frederic] playing the position, [Matt Poitras]’s obviously learning the position. [Mark] Kastelic comes in, [Johnny Beecher] has been there. I think we have a lot more flexibility and versatility for [Jim Montgomery] to sort of play around with his lines in that regard. Knowing if we have injuries guys can go in and slot in, much harder to take a winger and put him in the middle of the ice. It's much easier to take a center and push him to the wing from a production standpoint.”

On changes to the center position…
“I think probably in a higher profile role, but that doesn't mean that you know the deckchairs don't move around and how much he sees him because it's a big-time luxury that will depend on whether or not somebody can arrive and push up and assume a little more responsibility we know Zachs [Pavel Zacha] can.”

On how the signings of Nikita Zadorov and Elias Lindholm reflect prior needs…
“I mean, I don't think it's a direct reference to what we didn't have. Obviously, Florida is a good team they congratulated Wednesday on the cop. Do I think as I go back and say… Do I think we should have gotten to a game seven and we'll see what happens? Yeah, I do. I think we left it on the table in games four and six. I’m hopeful that these two players, you know, tip that scale in our direction moving forward because of the identification, as I referenced, Elias has been in those top spots. I can't tell you whether or not he would have done a better job against [Aleksander Barkov] than Charlie, and we pushed Zacha to the wing and Geeks went in there. I just think when we were looking for that extra play, that extra goal, that we would describe to get us over the edge. I mean, game seven, Stanley Cup Final went 2-1. So that might be the one single pushback I have on Monty and his comment that yeah, you can win 2-1 in those situations. You probably have to more often than not, the margins are small. Look at the last three games of our series against Florida. You know, it wasn't runaway hockey. So I think Elias and Zadorov and the other guys that they'll contribute in that area, and hopefully, it gets us beyond where we've been, but listen, it's a hard reset. Every team is back to square one. So you got to come ready and build your team. I don't think your team in July is ready. If anybody feels that way, then congratulations, and they've checked every single box but we're not set in October. We’ll allow these guys to go through and see who can push, and then we'll reevaluate, and if we have holes or gaps, we'll try and address them.”

On his message to young players who are trying to make the roster…
“Similar message that I have to Cole Koepke, and Riley Tufte, and [Max Jones] and [Jeff Viel]. I think we've made some hard decisions when players…I think this year in Poitras and Beecher were good examples of that. That they played well enough they earned their opportunity, and I would say that [Georgii Merkulov] and [Fabian Lysell] or Riley Duran keep going down the list. Just pin your ears back, train your ass off this summer, and come with the intent that there'll be an opportunity here. If you're the best player, then we find a way to get you in the lineup. You have to you have to sustain it as you're going along. That was always the question in terms of whether a younger player at 19… Look around the league. Those guys have a tougher time as the year goes along, and whether or not you're gonna survive. A lot of those guys get injured, Matty got injured. So my response to your question is those guys should have clear intentions to come and find an opportunity to beat somebody out because it'll be there.”

On how he thinks Nikita Zadorov will compliment Charlie McAvoy…
“Z’s exits are good … finding middle ice which is something Monty likes to do. So it's first pass ability, I think compliments. Charlie gets a lot of focus on the forecheck and takes some physical hits as a result of that. I think you can maybe keep some of those flies off at times and also complement in a puck-moving standpoint. So the two guys can cover a lot of ice and play in matchup in any way on the road or not, so if we lose the matchup with the [Hampus Lindholm] and [Brandon Carlo] stay together. Well, the next matchup is equally as… depth and other teams lineup, and you saw that against you know Florida in particular, in their strength up the middle of the ice, those three centers as I said, they’re Stanley Cup champions today.”

On Lindholm’s transition from Calgary to Vancouver…
“Their line…. again, Huberdeau didn't score at the same rates as Johnny Gaudreau. Really good player, put up a massive amount of points in Florida. It just didn't seem like the chemistry that he had with the previous two was the same. And he'll take responsibility for that. He doesn't feel like he played as well as he was capable, and then went to Vancouver and played really well in the playoffs. This is a better opportunity for him to go and play with who we think is an elite player in a top line role. And the bump on the power play is a really good fit for us and, ideally, for him. His evaluation of where we're doing… I called two years and such. He's doing the same thing he got to that point of knowing that… I mean, we were rumored to be liking Elias for a long time, so I'm sure the player on the other side… he talked a little bit about the anxiety of being a pending unrestricted free agent. It's a natural thing, I think, as a player to say, Okay, who may be interested in where do I fit? So, I think we checked those boxes in our conversation. In short period of time. As long as we were reinforcing that in his mind. I think they may align, and that's why he joined our club.”

On addressing the forecheck with recent signings…
Again, some of these guys were just getting into the league and not knowing what they're supposed to be in Max's [Jones] case. He knows. That's why he’s excited about this opportunity coming. He knows what he has to do to be a player who's capable of being. And how we're gonna utilize him is important. You know, in Kastelic’s case, first conversations, there's no reason for you not to be killing penalties. So spend this time this summer and get with Joe [Sacco] and our group and understand what those responsibilities are. We talked about it all the time, you can take a little bit of minutes away from those top guys and situations and change momentum. The game is really important as the year goes along. And every one of these guys are looking for that opportunity to continue to grow their game, and while we've identified that their speed and size and physicality ability to forecheck and really possess pucks, it's a big part of that. Johnny Beecher is just learning that you know, at the highest level, and at times it shows up, and then there's a trust level. You know, a coach has to put you in situations that he's going to trust. And young players really go up and down with that.”

On whether he felt he was close to acquiring Elias Lindholm in past seasons…
“Really good question… could answer it better in that sense. It's always about what the other side is willing to offer, and Vancouver put a bag and offer to get him there. We weren't in a great spot in order to that point in time. Calgary wasn't really interested previously. They were hoping to extend him. They had obviously offered him a significant contract to keep him there. So maybe the stars didn't align during those two periods of time.”

On trading for a player or waiting till they hit free agency…
“This trade deadline was probably tilted towards not having, I had acknowledged that I couldn't be as aggressive as I had been in the past, right or wrong. That's just, you know, again, those are in time and space of what you're making those decisions previously the year before we were very aggressive. Didn't accomplish what we wanted to. So you hope you never know players, you know, Jake Guentzel didn’t get to free agency. So you just don't know. You don't know how it's ever going to work. If somebody traded for Elias and offered him maybe he would have stayed there. So we're fortunate today that they were sort of peek underneath the covers and say okay if it does get there and these are this team that, that if they had any mutual interest that they would like to join, and we're fortunate that several of these guys in particular, Elias and Nikita were.”

On what led to prioritizing a defenseman over a winger…
“I think the depth of our defense and the strength of our hockey club, I wanted to continue to make sure we have those foundational pieces in place. I think this group can as a whole, we can tease a little more offense out of it. So if you're going to allow Charlie and Hampus to get back to hopefully the level he's capable of, from one year to the next. I think you have to have that depth to allow [Mason Lohrei] to continue to grow, as I referenced earlier, and expand his footprint in the game. I think having a person that can step in and play. You're really looking at our lineup now on the back end. Every guy can really play 20 minutes. We can distribute that ice time, hopefully, we'll leave it more evenly. And in this case, you're probably sacrifice, chasing something on the wing as a result of that. You're really prioritizing getting a center, as I mentioned, and going into free agency, you're gonna enter an uncomfortable zone, right? You just are what's it going to take to sign a player that you're fortunate enough that they want to come? So the pie is only so big. That's what happens.”

On if he plans to prioritize addressing Swayman’s contract before any winger signings…
“Yeah, I would say that's how I sit here today. As I referenced, Jeremy has always been a priority for us. We're in a good spot because we have depth in net right now. But he's the priority now as I sit today. I don't have a timeline. I’ll be patient in every other thing that we do.”

On players stepping up offensively with Jake DeBrusk’s departure…
Yeah, I agree. I mean, I wish Jake well. Obviously, he was a tremendous Bruin. Great opportunity for him in Vancouver, as well as [Danton Heinen] and [Derek Forbort]. Somebody tweeted maybe we should’ve made a trade, would’ve been easier but yeah, I think some people are welcoming that opportunity. Zacha has already been in that role so he can step in and do some of that, you know, and produce. Geeks has got in that role. There’s Freddie. Somebody is going to have to. The ice time is going to get distributed. The two guys that maybe they play with if you need the top line together a pretty damn good hockey player. Somebody should be happy to be getting that opportunity. And I'll keep an eye out towards maybe something that presents… certainly if it doesn't do it now, during the course of the season. If we're, if there's a void there.”

BOSTON BRUINS FORWARD ELIAS LINDHOLM
On his decision to sign with the Bruin…
“Obviously, as soon as Boston came into the picture, it was an easy decision for me joining this organization. Original six, so much history and so many good players on the team. Also looking at their playoff series against Florida, you know, it’s pretty much right there. So it was exciting to have the opportunity to join this organization.”

On his name coming up in discussions around the trade deadline…
“Yeah, I mean, these days it's kind of hard to not notice. But in the meantime you just try to stay focused and try to focus on the game and try to help the team. Yeah it was kind of hard to not notice.”

On how being traded mid-season affected his playing…
“Yeah. Obviously it definitely did. Going into season like that and being kind of uncertain what's going to happen, and then you kind of know after a little bit that you’re going to get traded but you don't know when or where and so on. It has definitely affected me more than I was hoping, but I'm glad that time is over now and I know for a long time where I'm going to be. So it's exciting.”

On if he knows Hampus Lindholm well…
“Yeah, we played on the national team. Yeah, we know each other.”

On if Hampus Lindholm pitched the team to him…
“He sent me a text. Yeah, he made a little pitch.”

On his playing style being a good fit for the Bruins…
“Yeah, like I said, as soon as Boston came in it was exciting and me and my family were pumped. Yeah, I think it's a good fit. Honestly, you know, playing in the League for a long time and kind of try to look at [Patrice] Bergeron as much as possible. I don't want to compare myself or anything like that, but I think I can bring a little bit of what he did. I obviously try to come here and bring my game and come back to the player I know I can be and hopefully help this team to achieve the Stanley Cup.”

On his initial thoughts on the Boston Bruins franchise…
“Obviously a lot of history, a lot of great players have been there. I heard a lot about the city, players, and families that love being there and being a Bruin. So obviously we're super excited and just can't wait to get going. Yeah, we're thrilled.”

On potentially playing alongside David Pastrnak…
“I mean, he's one of the top players in the League. We'll see what's going to happen but if there's an opportunity to play with him, it'll be exciting. You know, he's one of the special players in the League that knows how to put the puck in the net and set up players. So if that's the case, it's exciting, but for now I haven't even thought about anything like that. It's just exciting to be a part of this organization and I can't wait to come over and settle in a little bit.”

On if any Bruins players reached out to him…
“Yeah, I think there was…. No I just texted Hampus [Lindholm] a little bit and then texted with [Brad] Marchand a little bit. But other than that it was about it. It was good. Like I said, as soon as Boston came into the picture it was an easy decision for me. Me and my family are super excited to be part of this.”

On who he’s looking forward to playing alongside rather than against…
“Probably [Charlie] McAvoy. He has hit me a couple of times pretty hard so it's good to be on the same side. So probably him.”

On the skill level of the team and how he hopes to compliment the team with his skill set…
“Yeah. I mean, obviously watching them in the playoffs, I think they were kind of right there. You know, gave Florida a pretty good match, so I think they have a lot of good players. Good goalie, good defense. I mean, I feel like all the pieces are right there. I think for myself, it's just to come in and play my game and try to help this team improve and take that next step to achieve whatever I want to achieve.”

On playing alongside Nikita Zadorov and what Zadorov will bring to the Bruins…
“Yeah, I mean we’ve been following each other like you said. It's exciting, obviously, coming to a new team like this and everything is so new, so it's always nice to have another guy that you've been around and know kind of well. So I mean, for him I think the way he ended the season there in Vancouver, he can bring a lot. Just knowing his presence is big body out there, as the opposing team you always need to be aware. So it's a really good fit for us.”

On his impression of Boston…
“Yeah, honestly, I feel like every time I've been there it's been kind of in and out so I haven’t really gotten to know the city or seen enough. But knowing a lot of players in the League, and also my good friend, Joakim Nordström spent two seasons there, so I’ve been talking to him a little bit. I feel like everyone is talking so well about everything there, so it was a lot of things that kind of fit the puzzle there for us and we're excited to join the organization and the City of Boston. Like I said, I don't think I've heard a bad thing about anything there. So we're pumped.”

BOSTON BRUINS DEFENSEMAN NIKITA ZADOROV
On why he was interested in signing with Boston…
“We had a few teams in the mix. We obviously had a long conversation with Vancouver, and then we kind of got stuck on something we had a few teams pick it up and I mean, it's where do I start? Why did I choose the Bruins? I mean everything. The culture in the organization, you know, like it's a big league. We talk between the guys all the time, and everybody talks about their experience in the past teams and haven't heard a bad thing in my 11 years about Bruins’ culture, Bruins’ team, and the players who play here. So pretty much it was a no-brainer for me when we found out the Bruins were interested in me to come and play for them and it was mutual. I think Boston was on top of my list my whole life. It's an unbelievable organization, original six team team, and I feel like the Bruins’ style… I always loved watching it, you know, even my first year is my second NHL game was against Boston, and they had those big guys, [Zdeno Chara], [Patrice Bergeron], [Milan Lucic], [Nathan Horton] you know like the tough, hard team play against. So it was always… one day it would be a great fit for me to come and play for the Bruins. I mean, I'm super thankful for the opportunity from the organization to get the deal done and everything, and I'm super excited to join the Bruins.”

On if he models his game after Zdeno Chara…
“I mean, it's hard. I'm not even close, and I want to start with I know in my past, teams and people were calling me “Big Z.” Please do not ever call me “Big Z” now because I mean, I feel like I'm not even close to half of the “Big Z.” He was unbelievable. He’s one of the best defensemen of all time. There's definitely a lot to learn from him. Obviously, he was one of my role models growing up because size kind of physical play and everything, and the way the leader he is, I think I can learn a lot from him. So yeah, I mean, could be a good sign for sure.”

On his style of play aligning with the team’s culture…
“No, it's unbelievable. I mean, the city overall I mean, it's probably the best sports city in the United States, and you got the Celtics they won this year. They always have a really good team and unbelievable history in the past, you know, the Red Sox as well. I mean, I'm not a big baseball guy, but from what I'm hearing, the rivalry against the Yankees and all that and obviously the [Patriots], Tom Brady and the [Bill Belichick] dynasty, you know the Bruins, the past and Bobby Orr, and the 2011 [Stanley Cup] you know, like they’re the city of winners and the fans expect you to win and to get every year and I like the challenges. You know, I played on the big market, I played in a big market in Vancouver, and it's always fun when you embrace the challenge and expect high expectations, you know, pressure, and you just bring your best every night, and I think that's a perfect place for me, and I will fit right in for sure.”

On how his game has developed throughout his career…
Yeah, I mean, obviously, I was drafted as an offensive guy I would say like I had some offensive upside in junior when Buffalo picked me in the first. I was running some power play in Buffalo and Colorado. You know, when I get older, the league shifted towards a little fast, skilled D-man. So, you know, when I was drafted, it wasn't many of them in the league, but I mean, I can I can chip in offensively when you need. Obviously, the defense is first for me in being physical, being hard to play against that’s the main thing as well, but I can also skate and score sometimes, you know, like, not like a big goal scorer, but, I mean, I'm trying my best and like you said, sometimes it takes some time for D-men to develop in this league. I feel like one of those cases for sure if you look, I'm getting better and better every year. I think definitely the right coaching helped me a lot, you know, starting with Daryl Sutter. And then last year, I got Rick Tocchet, he was unbelievable to me… worked with me a lot and helped me on so many details, so it's good for D-men. So that's one of the reasons I came as well because of the coaching staff for this team. I mean, Jim Montgomery, I actually spent a couple of weeks skating with him while he was coaching in university while I was getting ready for the season in Denver while playing with the Avalanche. So I kind of know him personally a little bit and have only heard good things about him, and watching the Bruins in the playoffs, you know, while you play on the west coast, it's easy to watch east coast games a little bit early so you can go to bed early so I did watch a lot of east coast hockey for sure. And just there's big simplicity how the Bruins have been playing and how they've been coached well and how they are always creating this unbelievable culture inside the team and everything. So, I just want to get started as soon as possible, and learn new things, and get better every day for sure.”

On playing with Elias Lindholm…
“We've talked a little bit, obviously. You're trying to keep it low-key a little bit between you and your family, your agent, but I mean, we were actually joking around last year. We played the Bruins early… “That would be a great place to play here together.” But I mean it worked out perfect, but I’m excited. Our third team together the past four years and, hopefully, the next six years as well. And I mean, he's unbelievable. Obviously, we had a pretty good team in Calgary my first year and then he was a big part of it for sure. He had unbelievable wingers, and they put up the show, they’re probably the best line in the league at that time, and he came into the Canucks this year at the deadline in a little bit different role for him for sure. You know, we had a pretty good depth in the centermen, so he had to play a little bit less minutes than they expected, but he can like just show that he can do everything. [Penalty kill], first power play, he’s a first-line centerman, he’s gonna compliment his wingers, he’s an unbelievable teammate, he's the guy who's gonna go out there and compete every night, and he wants to win as much as I want. So that's definitely an exciting time for us to come to the Bruins and hopefully try to win something.”

On what Elias Lindholm brings to a team…
He's not a flashy guy, but I think he does everything right. So people love the players who play the right way all the time. You know he's not going to cheat for offense because he doesn't want to give up something defensively, you know, like I said, he complements his wingers really well, so if you put him in the right situation to succeed, he's gonna be unbelievable for sure. And I think that's the plan in here.”

On the Bruins’ culture and playing new teammates…
“Yeah, I mean, probably cannot tell about the reach out and all that stuff. But I spoke to some of the guys after the deal was announced. They welcomed me to the team. It seems like a pretty good group, like I told you, I did homework and pre-scout a little bit. I spoke to the guys who played before. They told me so many good things about the room. The guys, you know, the group that created how they're super helpful and so easy to fit in. So obviously, that's the main thing for me as well. And, [Charlie McAvoy], I mean, I've been watching him a lot. He's one of my favorite D-men in the league for sure. And the way he plays, he's got some grit like, when he hits, open ice hits you know, I think that will fit well with me. He played unbelievably against Toronto. It was definitely fun to watch and in Florida as well. So, I mean, I gotta go up there and just compliment him, help him to be good. You know, maybe he can create something a little bit more offensively as well because he can trust me to be behind and help them and be aggressive. I like his aggressiveness as well. You know, I think it's, it's important in this league, so you can kill plays quickly and then don't let the team have much time in the D-zone, neutral zone. You know, close things quick. So I think that's important, for sure. And we'll see. I mean, when the camp goes on, you're probably going to gain more chemistry together. And that's pretty important, I think as well.”

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
BOSTON BRUINS GENERAL MANAGER DON SWEENEY
On free agency additions adding size to the roster…
“You know, that wasn't our intention. We've always wanted our pace, ability to arrive on time on the forecheck, we certainly had an eye towards that, possessing the puck, and the byproduct was that we found guys that do that and they happen to be a little bit bigger. But there was never staying away from small skill if that’s what you're referring to, because these guys all have the skill, they just come in a bigger package and they all skate.”

On what Nikita Zadorov brings to the roster…
“I mean, the presence that Z [Nikita Zadorov] brings is important to us. Playing a lot of top four minutes in the playoffs against top guys comes with a bit of swagger, he has certainly seen his game grow and probably get a little more defined in what he's capable of doing. Early in his career, he had a lot of nights out to try and make an impact, and he made it for both teams at times, like all young players do that are aggressive in that sense. Now he really understands his game and what he brings to the table. He’s very excited, and obviously I think his quote stands for itself in being excited to join the Boston Bruins and have a chance to play with Charlie McAvoy if that's how it lines up, and the team. He was very intent when we found out he had an interest in Boston for all the right reasons, and that's why we're excited about bringing him in.”

On why Elias Lindholm was a good fit…
“Again, I think it dovetails off why [Nikita] Zadorov decided to join us. Both players identified a very competitive environment with the culture and the opportunity to fit for both them personally on the ice as well as their family dynamic. Way back in the draft, we identified Elias [Lindholm] as a player that has a lot of [Patrice] Bergeron qualities. Kudos to our scouting staff for following these guys and watching the growth of Zadorov and also acknowledging where Elias [Lindholm] remains in his career and bringing the attributes he does. It’s kind of been a two year pursuit to tell you the truth, wondering maybe down the road, if he would ever get to free agency. Had chances at the deadline to maybe get in there, but it didn’t necessarily materialize, so when this was presented we were very happy.”

On what made Nikita Zadorov a desirable free agent while in Vancouver…
“It started a little earlier, the Calgary run, and I think playing for [Darryl] Sutter was really important for him, sort of got him into an understanding of what he was capable of doing each and every night. You know, going to Vancouver, playing in the playoff environment, we really started to see the player that he's capable of being. His game has continued to evolve, and that's exciting for us realizing how he can complement a number of different partners, depending on how Monty [Jim Montgomery] and the staff want to align them.”

On Boston’s new acquisitions and roster depth…
“Yeah, I mean it speaks to the commitment from ownership first and foremost in terms of remaining as competitive as you can, and putting us in a position hopefully if we stay healthy that we stack up. We've been very competitive, we haven't had the success we expect to have in the playoffs, and these types of players I think should help us in that regard. Now obviously you have to grow around it, and some guys have to continue to move along, and then having Matt Poitras back on the ice today, recovering from shoulder surgery is a great indication of that. They have a Mason Lohrei now in a position where it allows him to…probably take him into the second unit of the power play and grow his offensive game in the right way not necessarily be over his skis at times playing 20 minutes a night in the top pair situation. He can, and he's done a good job, but it just balances things out. But to have those two targets in the areas that we had identified independently with our scouting staff, afterwards with our coaches, and merging what they would like to see in players come here and check it off the box for two guys that acknowledge what our culture and what our intentions are, and want you to come and join that. And I don't want to pass off on the other guys that we've brought in, Max Jones is the same way where he really covets the opportunity to come here. Cole Koepke, a guy that we've tracked and our scouting staff has identified as the guy that can push our competitive internal competition … He's taken two strides two years in a row where he's really taken off, I mean this kid can skate, kills penalties… Again, Billy Sweezey… saw him fight [Jakub] Lauko, and I wish Jakub [Lauko] well. It's difficult to see young players leave our organization and I wish him well in Minnesota. [Adam] Vinatieri we welcome back, Billy Sweezey as I said went and challenged Lauks [Jakub Lauko] right off the draw, so that competitive nature in him. Jeff Viel is going to bring a level of competitiveness and toughness that I think our players and organization respect as well. So, I think we're trying to check off the box to being internally competitive. Do we have a gap there we want to see somebody take advantage of, whether it be Fabian Lysell or anybody else. You look at where Geeks [Morgan Geekie] went into a lineup spot and produced, so we’ve got sort of an internal growth modem, but we checked off a lot of boxes with two key components and then a guy that we feel will internally increase our competition.”

On what makes Max Jones and Mark Kastelic good fits for the organization...
“Well, I mean, again, making this [Mark] Kastelic trade with an eye towards occupying fourth line versatility side of things with his size with his ability to win draws especially on the right side will allow us… you know, Beech [Johnny Beecher] to win on the left, Beech does a fine job in the right, but this allows us to be above 53 or 54 on average on both sides of the dot and start in the defensive zone, both have that size, there's a toughness element with Kastelic as well. So for us it was all of the attributes and a lot of growth. We’re hopefully going to get them into a penalty killing situation and grow there. Max [Jones] has been an intriguing player, not just because of where he was drafted, but the size of the player, the ability to forecheck, the ability to possess pucks. He's shown a willingness to get to the net, can he finish a little bit more if he's pushed up the lineup and play with guys, that's what we're going to find out in terms of Max. But he just plays both sides, the possession game that Monty [Jim Montgomery] wants to have, created a little more anxiety, to tell you the truth, with arriving on time on the forecheck is a big part of the identification of several of these players.”

On any progress with contract negotiations for Jeremy Swayman…
“Sway [Jeremy Swayman] is a big part of this whole dynamic of what we're trying to put together. It’s a priority for us, we're going to continue to find a negotiated landing spot, and the timing is what it is, however long that takes. It's not impacted by what we did today. We're in a great spot to find as I said, the best negotiated deal we can find for both sides.”

On how important it was to strengthen the center position for the upcoming season…
“Well, it’s been a luxury for the organization for so long, and the players that we've had… It was a no-brainer right, [Charlie Coyle] sort of slotted in the three, but Charlie had a hell of a year last year. [Pavel Zacha] had a really good year last year. [Matt Poitras] was on pace as a 19-year-old to put up 40 points, 30-40 points, so we felt good about it. But at the end of the day, you get into a playoff environment, you start to realize like depth at that position, and the guy that's… he's only played top-line role situations, you know, and now he's got a chance to go play with [David Pastrnak]. Like he might have had with [Johnny Gaudreau] and [Matthew Tkachuk] and production. I think the bumper spot in our powerplay, you know, is an area that [Elias Lindholm] is going to fit in seamlessly in that regard, and he wins his drawers, so you start to realize like there's a little bit of okay that's a little bit what we had what we missed. And again, that's going to taking anything away from those guys I mentioned because to me, you know, [Morgan Geekie], [Trent Frederic] playing the position, [Matt Poitras]’s obviously learning the position. [Mark] Kastelic comes in, [Johnny Beecher] has been there. I think we have a lot more flexibility and versatility for [Jim Montgomery] to sort of play around with his lines in that regard. Knowing if we have injuries guys can go in and slot in, much harder to take a winger and put him in the middle of the ice. It's much easier to take a center and push him to the wing from a production standpoint.”

On changes to the center position…
“I think probably in a higher profile role, but that doesn't mean that you know the deckchairs don't move around and how much he sees him because it's a big-time luxury that will depend on whether or not somebody can arrive and push up and assume a little more responsibility we know Zachs [Pavel Zacha] can.”

On how the signings of Nikita Zadorov and Elias Lindholm reflect prior needs…
“I mean, I don't think it's a direct reference to what we didn't have. Obviously, Florida is a good team they congratulated Wednesday on the cop. Do I think as I go back and say… Do I think we should have gotten to a game seven and we'll see what happens? Yeah, I do. I think we left it on the table in games four and six. I’m hopeful that these two players, you know, tip that scale in our direction moving forward because of the identification, as I referenced, Elias has been in those top spots. I can't tell you whether or not he would have done a better job against [Aleksander Barkov] than Charlie, and we pushed Zacha to the wing and Geeks went in there. I just think when we were looking for that extra play, that extra goal, that we would describe to get us over the edge. I mean, game seven, Stanley Cup Final went 2-1. So that might be the one single pushback I have on Monty and his comment that yeah, you can win 2-1 in those situations. You probably have to more often than not, the margins are small. Look at the last three games of our series against Florida. You know, it wasn't runaway hockey. So I think Elias and Zadorov and the other guys that they'll contribute in that area, and hopefully, it gets us beyond where we've been, but listen, it's a hard reset. Every team is back to square one. So you got to come ready and build your team. I don't think your team in July is ready. If anybody feels that way, then congratulations, and they've checked every single box but we're not set in October. We’ll allow these guys to go through and see who can push, and then we'll reevaluate, and if we have holes or gaps, we'll try and address them.”

On his message to young players who are trying to make the roster…
“Similar message that I have to Cole Koepke, and Riley Tufte, and [Max Jones] and [Jeff Viel]. I think we've made some hard decisions when players…I think this year in Poitras and Beecher were good examples of that. That they played well enough they earned their opportunity, and I would say that [Georgii Merkulov] and [Fabian Lysell] or Riley Duran keep going down the list. Just pin your ears back, train your ass off this summer, and come with the intent that there'll be an opportunity here. If you're the best player, then we find a way to get you in the lineup. You have to you have to sustain it as you're going along. That was always the question in terms of whether a younger player at 19… Look around the league. Those guys have a tougher time as the year goes along, and whether or not you're gonna survive. A lot of those guys get injured, Matty got injured. So my response to your question is those guys should have clear intentions to come and find an opportunity to beat somebody out because it'll be there.”

On how he thinks Nikita Zadorov will compliment Charlie McAvoy…
“Z’s exits are good … finding middle ice which is something Monty likes to do. So it's first pass ability, I think compliments. Charlie gets a lot of focus on the forecheck and takes some physical hits as a result of that. I think you can maybe keep some of those flies off at times and also complement in a puck-moving standpoint. So the two guys can cover a lot of ice and play in matchup in any way on the road or not, so if we lose the matchup with the [Hampus Lindholm] and [Brandon Carlo] stay together. Well, the next matchup is equally as… depth and other teams lineup, and you saw that against you know Florida in particular, in their strength up the middle of the ice, those three centers as I said, they’re Stanley Cup champions today.”

On Lindholm’s transition from Calgary to Vancouver…
“Their line…. again, Huberdeau didn't score at the same rates as Johnny Gaudreau. Really good player, put up a massive amount of points in Florida. It just didn't seem like the chemistry that he had with the previous two was the same. And he'll take responsibility for that. He doesn't feel like he played as well as he was capable, and then went to Vancouver and played really well in the playoffs. This is a better opportunity for him to go and play with who we think is an elite player in a top line role. And the bump on the power play is a really good fit for us and, ideally, for him. His evaluation of where we're doing… I called two years and such. He's doing the same thing he got to that point of knowing that… I mean, we were rumored to be liking Elias for a long time, so I'm sure the player on the other side… he talked a little bit about the anxiety of being a pending unrestricted free agent. It's a natural thing, I think, as a player to say, Okay, who may be interested in where do I fit? So, I think we checked those boxes in our conversation. In short period of time. As long as we were reinforcing that in his mind. I think they may align, and that's why he joined our club.”

On addressing the forecheck with recent signings…
Again, some of these guys were just getting into the league and not knowing what they're supposed to be in Max's [Jones] case. He knows. That's why he’s excited about this opportunity coming. He knows what he has to do to be a player who's capable of being. And how we're gonna utilize him is important. You know, in Kastelic’s case, first conversations, there's no reason for you not to be killing penalties. So spend this time this summer and get with Joe [Sacco] and our group and understand what those responsibilities are. We talked about it all the time, you can take a little bit of minutes away from those top guys and situations and change momentum. The game is really important as the year goes along. And every one of these guys are looking for that opportunity to continue to grow their game, and while we've identified that their speed and size and physicality ability to forecheck and really possess pucks, it's a big part of that. Johnny Beecher is just learning that you know, at the highest level, and at times it shows up, and then there's a trust level. You know, a coach has to put you in situations that he's going to trust. And young players really go up and down with that.”

On whether he felt he was close to acquiring Elias Lindholm in past seasons…
“Really good question… could answer it better in that sense. It's always about what the other side is willing to offer, and Vancouver put a bag and offer to get him there. We weren't in a great spot in order to that point in time. Calgary wasn't really interested previously. They were hoping to extend him. They had obviously offered him a significant contract to keep him there. So maybe the stars didn't align during those two periods of time.”

On trading for a player or waiting till they hit free agency…
“This trade deadline was probably tilted towards not having, I had acknowledged that I couldn't be as aggressive as I had been in the past, right or wrong. That's just, you know, again, those are in time and space of what you're making those decisions previously the year before we were very aggressive. Didn't accomplish what we wanted to. So you hope you never know players, you know, Jake Guentzel didn’t get to free agency. So you just don't know. You don't know how it's ever going to work. If somebody traded for Elias and offered him maybe he would have stayed there. So we're fortunate today that they were sort of peek underneath the covers and say okay if it does get there and these are this team that, that if they had any mutual interest that they would like to join, and we're fortunate that several of these guys in particular, Elias and Nikita were.”

On what led to prioritizing a defenseman over a winger…
“I think the depth of our defense and the strength of our hockey club, I wanted to continue to make sure we have those foundational pieces in place. I think this group can as a whole, we can tease a little more offense out of it. So if you're going to allow Charlie and Hampus to get back to hopefully the level he's capable of, from one year to the next. I think you have to have that depth to allow [Mason Lohrei] to continue to grow, as I referenced earlier, and expand his footprint in the game. I think having a person that can step in and play. You're really looking at our lineup now on the back end. Every guy can really play 20 minutes. We can distribute that ice time, hopefully, we'll leave it more evenly. And in this case, you're probably sacrifice, chasing something on the wing as a result of that. You're really prioritizing getting a center, as I mentioned, and going into free agency, you're gonna enter an uncomfortable zone, right? You just are what's it going to take to sign a player that you're fortunate enough that they want to come? So the pie is only so big. That's what happens.”

On if he plans to prioritize addressing Swayman’s contract before any winger signings…
“Yeah, I would say that's how I sit here today. As I referenced, Jeremy has always been a priority for us. We're in a good spot because we have depth in net right now. But he's the priority now as I sit today. I don't have a timeline. I’ll be patient in every other thing that we do.”

On players stepping up offensively with Jake DeBrusk’s departure…
Yeah, I agree. I mean, I wish Jake well. Obviously, he was a tremendous Bruin. Great opportunity for him in Vancouver, as well as [Danton Heinen] and [Derek Forbort]. Somebody tweeted maybe we should’ve made a trade, would’ve been easier but yeah, I think some people are welcoming that opportunity. Zacha has already been in that role so he can step in and do some of that, you know, and produce. Geeks has got in that role. There’s Freddie. Somebody is going to have to. The ice time is going to get distributed. The two guys that maybe they play with if you need the top line together a pretty damn good hockey player. Somebody should be happy to be getting that opportunity. And I'll keep an eye out towards maybe something that presents… certainly if it doesn't do it now, during the course of the season. If we're, if there's a void there.”

BOSTON BRUINS FORWARD ELIAS LINDHOLM
On his decision to sign with the Bruin…
“Obviously, as soon as Boston came into the picture, it was an easy decision for me joining this organization. Original six, so much history and so many good players on the team. Also looking at their playoff series against Florida, you know, it’s pretty much right there. So it was exciting to have the opportunity to join this organization.”

On his name coming up in discussions around the trade deadline…
“Yeah, I mean, these days it's kind of hard to not notice. But in the meantime you just try to stay focused and try to focus on the game and try to help the team. Yeah it was kind of hard to not notice.”

On how being traded mid-season affected his playing…
“Yeah. Obviously it definitely did. Going into season like that and being kind of uncertain what's going to happen, and then you kind of know after a little bit that you’re going to get traded but you don't know when or where and so on. It has definitely affected me more than I was hoping, but I'm glad that time is over now and I know for a long time where I'm going to be. So it's exciting.”

On if he knows Hampus Lindholm well…
“Yeah, we played on the national team. Yeah, we know each other.”

On if Hampus Lindholm pitched the team to him…
“He sent me a text. Yeah, he made a little pitch.”

On his playing style being a good fit for the Bruins…
“Yeah, like I said, as soon as Boston came in it was exciting and me and my family were pumped. Yeah, I think it's a good fit. Honestly, you know, playing in the League for a long time and kind of try to look at [Patrice] Bergeron as much as possible. I don't want to compare myself or anything like that, but I think I can bring a little bit of what he did. I obviously try to come here and bring my game and come back to the player I know I can be and hopefully help this team to achieve the Stanley Cup.”

On his initial thoughts on the Boston Bruins franchise…
“Obviously a lot of history, a lot of great players have been there. I heard a lot about the city, players, and families that love being there and being a Bruin. So obviously we're super excited and just can't wait to get going. Yeah, we're thrilled.”

On potentially playing alongside David Pastrnak…
“I mean, he's one of the top players in the League. We'll see what's going to happen but if there's an opportunity to play with him, it'll be exciting. You know, he's one of the special players in the League that knows how to put the puck in the net and set up players. So if that's the case, it's exciting, but for now I haven't even thought about anything like that. It's just exciting to be a part of this organization and I can't wait to come over and settle in a little bit.”

On if any Bruins players reached out to him…
“Yeah, I think there was…. No I just texted Hampus [Lindholm] a little bit and then texted with [Brad] Marchand a little bit. But other than that it was about it. It was good. Like I said, as soon as Boston came into the picture it was an easy decision for me. Me and my family are super excited to be part of this.”

On who he’s looking forward to playing alongside rather than against…
“Probably [Charlie] McAvoy. He has hit me a couple of times pretty hard so it's good to be on the same side. So probably him.”

On the skill level of the team and how he hopes to compliment the team with his skill set…
“Yeah. I mean, obviously watching them in the playoffs, I think they were kind of right there. You know, gave Florida a pretty good match, so I think they have a lot of good players. Good goalie, good defense. I mean, I feel like all the pieces are right there. I think for myself, it's just to come in and play my game and try to help this team improve and take that next step to achieve whatever I want to achieve.”

On playing alongside Nikita Zadorov and what Zadorov will bring to the Bruins…
“Yeah, I mean we’ve been following each other like you said. It's exciting, obviously, coming to a new team like this and everything is so new, so it's always nice to have another guy that you've been around and know kind of well. So I mean, for him I think the way he ended the season there in Vancouver, he can bring a lot. Just knowing his presence is big body out there, as the opposing team you always need to be aware. So it's a really good fit for us.”

On his impression of Boston…
“Yeah, honestly, I feel like every time I've been there it's been kind of in and out so I haven’t really gotten to know the city or seen enough. But knowing a lot of players in the League, and also my good friend, Joakim Nordström spent two seasons there, so I’ve been talking to him a little bit. I feel like everyone is talking so well about everything there, so it was a lot of things that kind of fit the puzzle there for us and we're excited to join the organization and the City of Boston. Like I said, I don't think I've heard a bad thing about anything there. So we're pumped.”

BOSTON BRUINS DEFENSEMAN NIKITA ZADOROV
On why he was interested in signing with Boston…
“We had a few teams in the mix. We obviously had a long conversation with Vancouver, and then we kind of got stuck on something we had a few teams pick it up and I mean, it's where do I start? Why did I choose the Bruins? I mean everything. The culture in the organization, you know, like it's a big league. We talk between the guys all the time, and everybody talks about their experience in the past teams and haven't heard a bad thing in my 11 years about Bruins’ culture, Bruins’ team, and the players who play here. So pretty much it was a no-brainer for me when we found out the Bruins were interested in me to come and play for them and it was mutual. I think Boston was on top of my list my whole life. It's an unbelievable organization, original six team team, and I feel like the Bruins’ style… I always loved watching it, you know, even my first year is my second NHL game was against Boston, and they had those big guys, [Zdeno Chara], [Patrice Bergeron], [Milan Lucic], [Nathan Horton] you know like the tough, hard team play against. So it was always… one day it would be a great fit for me to come and play for the Bruins. I mean, I'm super thankful for the opportunity from the organization to get the deal done and everything, and I'm super excited to join the Bruins.”

On if he models his game after Zdeno Chara…
“I mean, it's hard. I'm not even close, and I want to start with I know in my past, teams and people were calling me “Big Z.” Please do not ever call me “Big Z” now because I mean, I feel like I'm not even close to half of the “Big Z.” He was unbelievable. He’s one of the best defensemen of all time. There's definitely a lot to learn from him. Obviously, he was one of my role models growing up because size kind of physical play and everything, and the way the leader he is, I think I can learn a lot from him. So yeah, I mean, could be a good sign for sure.”

On his style of play aligning with the team’s culture…
“No, it's unbelievable. I mean, the city overall I mean, it's probably the best sports city in the United States, and you got the Celtics they won this year. They always have a really good team and unbelievable history in the past, you know, the Red Sox as well. I mean, I'm not a big baseball guy, but from what I'm hearing, the rivalry against the Yankees and all that and obviously the [Patriots], Tom Brady and the [Bill Belichick] dynasty, you know the Bruins, the past and Bobby Orr, and the 2011 [Stanley Cup] you know, like they’re the city of winners and the fans expect you to win and to get every year and I like the challenges. You know, I played on the big market, I played in a big market in Vancouver, and it's always fun when you embrace the challenge and expect high expectations, you know, pressure, and you just bring your best every night, and I think that's a perfect place for me, and I will fit right in for sure.”

On how his game has developed throughout his career…
Yeah, I mean, obviously, I was drafted as an offensive guy I would say like I had some offensive upside in junior when Buffalo picked me in the first. I was running some power play in Buffalo and Colorado. You know, when I get older, the league shifted towards a little fast, skilled D-man. So, you know, when I was drafted, it wasn't many of them in the league, but I mean, I can I can chip in offensively when you need. Obviously, the defense is first for me in being physical, being hard to play against that’s the main thing as well, but I can also skate and score sometimes, you know, like, not like a big goal scorer, but, I mean, I'm trying my best and like you said, sometimes it takes some time for D-men to develop in this league. I feel like one of those cases for sure if you look, I'm getting better and better every year. I think definitely the right coaching helped me a lot, you know, starting with Daryl Sutter. And then last year, I got Rick Tocchet, he was unbelievable to me… worked with me a lot and helped me on so many details, so it's good for D-men. So that's one of the reasons I came as well because of the coaching staff for this team. I mean, Jim Montgomery, I actually spent a couple of weeks skating with him while he was coaching in university while I was getting ready for the season in Denver while playing with the Avalanche. So I kind of know him personally a little bit and have only heard good things about him, and watching the Bruins in the playoffs, you know, while you play on the west coast, it's easy to watch east coast games a little bit early so you can go to bed early so I did watch a lot of east coast hockey for sure. And just there's big simplicity how the Bruins have been playing and how they've been coached well and how they are always creating this unbelievable culture inside the team and everything. So, I just want to get started as soon as possible, and learn new things, and get better every day for sure.”

On playing with Elias Lindholm…
“We've talked a little bit, obviously. You're trying to keep it low-key a little bit between you and your family, your agent, but I mean, we were actually joking around last year. We played the Bruins early… “That would be a great place to play here together.” But I mean it worked out perfect, but I’m excited. Our third team together the past four years and, hopefully, the next six years as well. And I mean, he's unbelievable. Obviously, we had a pretty good team in Calgary my first year and then he was a big part of it for sure. He had unbelievable wingers, and they put up the show, they’re probably the best line in the league at that time, and he came into the Canucks this year at the deadline in a little bit different role for him for sure. You know, we had a pretty good depth in the centermen, so he had to play a little bit less minutes than they expected, but he can like just show that he can do everything. [Penalty kill], first power play, he’s a first-line centerman, he’s gonna compliment his wingers, he’s an unbelievable teammate, he's the guy who's gonna go out there and compete every night, and he wants to win as much as I want. So that's definitely an exciting time for us to come to the Bruins and hopefully try to win something.”

On what Elias Lindholm brings to a team…
He's not a flashy guy, but I think he does everything right. So people love the players who play the right way all the time. You know he's not going to cheat for offense because he doesn't want to give up something defensively, you know, like I said, he complements his wingers really well, so if you put him in the right situation to succeed, he's gonna be unbelievable for sure. And I think that's the plan in here.”

On the Bruins’ culture and playing new teammates…
“Yeah, I mean, probably cannot tell about the reach out and all that stuff. But I spoke to some of the guys after the deal was announced. They welcomed me to the team. It seems like a pretty good group, like I told you, I did homework and pre-scout a little bit. I spoke to the guys who played before. They told me so many good things about the room. The guys, you know, the group that created how they're super helpful and so easy to fit in. So obviously, that's the main thing for me as well. And, [Charlie McAvoy], I mean, I've been watching him a lot. He's one of my favorite D-men in the league for sure. And the way he plays, he's got some grit like, when he hits, open ice hits you know, I think that will fit well with me. He played unbelievably against Toronto. It was definitely fun to watch and in Florida as well. So, I mean, I gotta go up there and just compliment him, help him to be good. You know, maybe he can create something a little bit more offensively as well because he can trust me to be behind and help them and be aggressive. I like his aggressiveness as well. You know, I think it's, it's important in this league, so you can kill plays quickly and then don't let the team have much time in the D-zone, neutral zone. You know, close things quick. So I think that's important, for sure. And we'll see. I mean, when the camp goes on, you're probably going to gain more chemistry together. And that's pretty important, I think as well.”
sure would have been nice if you included a detailed transcript of the media availability :sarcasm:

Thanks always friend

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
So he got a defenseman over a winger because he thinks this group can give us more offense. Translation: We have the same issues as last year on offense but with a better defense core. We are going to get shut down against deep teams because we have essentially replaced our second line with two third liners and a one-year-older Marchand.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
So he got a defenseman over a winger because he thinks this group can give us more offense. Translation: We have the same issues as last year on offense but with a better defense core. We are going to get shut down against deep teams because we have essentially replaced our second line with two third liners and a one-year-older Marchand.
No, its the make up of our Defense changes due to the lightening of the load on Lindholm and the freeing up of ice for McAvoy. Plus Lohrei is a year older now with true NHL experience.

Offense comes from the backend and goes through the forwards. They didn't add an offensive defensemen, but they did add a defensemen that changes the make up of their defense and allows them to get more offense out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad