Victoria Royals 2024-25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Royals fans should be happy to know that the Royals are hoping to improve on their previous season, where they won 29 games. Last season, they were unceremoniously dismissed from the playoffs without earning a win, but such is the life of a rebuilding team.

Our defense is led by our top pair of Justin Kipke (MIN), and Nate Misskey (SJS), who look to be one of the best pairings in the entire WHL. The second pair is likely to be Austin Zemlak, and Keaton Verhoeff (2026). Verhoeff is going to be playing his first full season in the WHL, and has hopes of being a first round selection in the 2026 NHL draft.

The forward group is headlined by Cole Reschny, who has been a premiere player for Canada at the U18's, as well as the Hlinka Gretzky Cup. He's probably the best player to ever play for the Royals, and has a chance to put together an epic draft season that could go down in Royals history. The Royals remain thin upfront compared to contenders, but there are some young forwards, other than Reschny, that are worth keeping an eye on, even if they don't have NHL upside. Deegan Kinniburgh is looking to improve on his difficult rookie season, and could be joined by rookies Caleb Matthews, Nolan Stewart, and Harshaan Kaila, depeding on how their training camps go.

In net, things remain unclear, as last years starter has aged out. It looks to be a battle between Jayden Kraus, who is coming off his rookie season with the Royals last year, and Ryan Tamelin, who the Royals signed in Nov. of last year, after Spokane opted not to.

I would expect the Royals to have a goal of somewhere around 35 wins. I do not think they will be contenders this year, but they should be trying to both make the playoffs, and win at least a game once they are there. A successful season would see them winning a round in the playoffs, seeing Reschny and Verhoeff have strong seasons, and seeing some promise from at least one of their rookies (I have high hopes for Caleb Matthews).

Projected Record: 35-28-5, 75 points
Scoring Leader: Cole Reschny 35-53-88

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
We have a trade: Royals Acquire Deagan McMillan and Two Draft Picks in Exchange for Austin Zemlak

Royals GM Jake Heisinger had this to say about the trade: "We felt we needed to add to our top 6 forward group and to do so we had to move a really good player and person in Austin. Deagan can play both centre and wing and adds skill and grit to our lineup. We look forward to welcoming him to Victoria."

This trade does leave a hole in the depth chart at D, with Zemlak previously being slated to play 2LD. There aren't any obvious successors to this role, so there will probably be competition between Jarrett Ross, and Matthew Keller, unless they plan to bring back Spizawka as an overager.

They definitely needed some more scoring after their leading scorer last year, Pasternak, aged out, so getting Deagan will help. There are some F prospects coming soon, but the Royals need to help Reschny out now. The Royals were also noticeably small last year, so I'm not surprised their GM was looking to add some size up front.

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
The Royals signed their import draft selection, Markus Loponen.

This is a massive addition for the Royals, who needed some help at C, to give the Royals a 1-2 punch down the middle with Reschny, and Loponen fits that role perfectly.

This is the blurb written about the signing:

Loponen spent the 2023-24 season with Kärpät U20 (U20 SM-sarja) where he scored 25 goals and 29 assists for 54 points in 45 games as the team’s captain. Loponen was named the U20 SM-sarja Rookie of the Year for the 2023-24 season, in addition to receiving the Best Plus/Minus award for the league, finishing the season with +40.

Internationally, Loponen appeared in games for Finland at the 2023 U18 Hlinka Gretzky Cup, where he scored 1 assist in 5 games played. He appeared in 19

TheAppleCorps

Jul 8, 2024
Interested to see how Victoria shakes out, the team has been wandering in the wilderness for too many years. Would like to see a direction/identity from them now that Dan Price is out. James Patrick should help with that!

Kraus + Michnik is not an inspiring tandem, neither looked particularly good last year in my viewings of both.

McMillan from Tri-City regressed stats-wise last year, but who didn't on TC? There's another team that has been wandering clueless the past couple of years, too. Zemlak is a bit of a loss but at this point I assume TC loses every trade they make. (No offense to any in-house Americans fans.)

Let the kids play, Reschny is a stud.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
We have a trade: Royals Acquire Cosmo Wilson and 9th Round Draft Pick in Exchange for Deegan Kinniburgh and Two Draft Picks

Royals GM Jake Heisinger had this to say about the trade: "Cosmo played an important role for Moose Jaw down the stretch en route to a WHL Championship and Memorial Cup appearance." Said Royals General Manager Jake Heisinger. "Being able to add a player that brings Championship experience to our group will be very beneficial both on and off the ice."

Wilson is a 6'1" RD veteran who will probably play on the 2nd pair with Verhoeff, unless they plan on having Verhoeff play 3RD. I don't like the idea of having a righty-righty pairing, but that's just my opinion. This move is another signal that the Royals are trying to get better now, and want to improve on their season last year. Kinniburgh is going into his sophomore season, and was likely going to be on the Royals 3rd line.

The picks exchanged were a 9th rounder in 2026 going to the Royals, and the Royals sent back a 4th round pick in 2025, and a 6th round pick in 2026. This is a little odd, because as far as I am aware, the Royals didn't have a 2025 4th round pick, because they traded it away in a 2022 trade that saw them send the pick away for Teague Patton. Regardless, the Royals have several extra picks in the upcoming 2025 draft, owning their own 1st, 3 2nds, and 2 3rds.

Last edited:

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
We have a trade: Royals Acquire Cosmo Wilson and 9th Round Draft Pick in Exchange for Deegan Kinniburgh and Two Draft Picks

Royals GM Jake Heisinger had this to say about the trade: "Cosmo played an important role for Moose Jaw down the stretch en route to a WHL Championship and Memorial Cup appearance." Said Royals General Manager Jake Heisinger. "Being able to add a player that brings Championship experience to our group will be very beneficial both on and off the ice."

Wilson is a 6'1" RD veteran who will probably play on the 2nd pair with Verhoeff, unless they plan on having Verhoeff play 3RD. I don't like the idea of having a righty-righty pairing, but that's just my opinion. This move is another signal that the Royals are trying to get better now, and want to improve on their season last year. Kinniburgh is going into his sophomore season, and was likely going to be on the Royals 3rd line.

The picks exchanged were a 9th rounder in 2026 going to the Royals, and the Royals sent back a 4th round pick in 2025, and a 6th round pick in 2026. This is a little odd, because as far as I am aware, the Royals didn't have a 2025 4th round pick, because they traded it away in a 2022 trade that saw them send the pick away for Teague Patton. Regardless, the Royals have several extra picks in the upcoming 2025 draft, owning their own 1st, 3 2nds, and 2 3rds.
Greatest name in the league. Mom and Dad def Seinfeld fans. Cosmo. Even got the spelling right. VIC is trying at least, Are they ready for Prime Time?

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
Harshaan Kaila had a great training camp, and I think he has a chance of making the team this year despite still being 15. It's possible he would be better served being the top dog on a U18 team, rather than being in the bottom 6 for the Royals, so perhaps the Royals will send him back to St. George for that reason.

EDIT: Bad take after he was in the first round of cuts. Hopefully he has a great year.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
On a longer term point of view I thought Cruz Waltze, Cooper, Allevar, and Nolan Harding were standouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad