Rumor: Victor Soderstrom signing in Sweden

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
So he's a bust officially now?
I wouldn't exactly call him a bust. More like he didn't fit in with what UtHC needed him to be. He was never comfortable with being a bottom pair and never stepped up to be a top 4 as he did in Tucson.
UtHC did give him a QO so they still retain his rights. Signing Bortuzzo to help the pk made more sense than having Soderstrom competing with Kesselring for the bottom pair spot.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Dumb to give up on a defenseman at only 23 but I guess they want to get competitive now which is understandable.

No, I'm not saying he will be a star in the NHL or anything just that's it's too soon to evaluate him. Chara looked like one of the worst defensemen in the NHL at 23 years of age for example.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Dumb to give up on a defenseman at only 23 but I guess they want to get competitive now which is understandable.

No, I'm not saying he will be a star in the NHL or anything just that's it's too soon to evaluate him. Chara looked like one of the worst defensemen in the NHL at 23 years of age for example.
Utah hasn't given up on him, they did qualified him and he was one of the top D in Tucson. He just hasn't made the jump to the NHL yet. He hesitates when he should it should be instinctive. His ceiling isn't high enough to overlook it, nor is his offensive ability.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So it’s probably about money as much as role and they can bring him back - which they probably would if he plays well or at least get some value in a trade.

Meh. Happy trails for now. I’d think that team wants to start strong and part of that is having everyone on board and positive from day one. Probably for the best.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place

As an Islanders fan, I’ll say that Chara looked very promising as a developing large defenseman. F’ing Milbury.

Reactions: voxel

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
So it’s probably about money as much as role and they can bring him back - which they probably would if he plays well or at least get some value in a trade.

Meh. Happy trails for now. I’d think that team wants to start strong and part of that is having everyone on board and positive from day one. Probably for the best.
Rumours are he's signing a two-year deal with his old club Brynäs despite being offered more money by other teams in Sweden and Switzerland. So role, yes, money, no. I'd guess he'll try to break into the NHL as a UFA in 2026.

Reactions: Cerebral

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Perfect example of when teams, agents and ultimately the player (mostly being influenced by the other two) ends up wasting 2-5 years, trying to be something he’s NEVER going to be in the NHL.

Olli Maatta is a great, current example of this. If he would’ve concentrated on his strengths at 20-23, rather than keep trying to be what Pittsburgh thought when they drafted him, he would’ve likely made an extra $5-$15 million, becoming what he is today, much sooner, instead of bouncing around. He was never going to develop more than what he was offensively, and it was to the detriment of his complete game, to keep concentrating on being an offensive player. It then took him much longer to develop his defensive game.

So teams and agents get the blame here, more than the player should.

The worst part for Utah is, his value will become virtually nothing if he does do this Sweden thing. It’ll be a mistake for both parties. He’ll keep wasting earning years, chasing something he’s not, making less money…. and Utah will end up with a 5th round pick (or less) next year, and nothing to show for a 1st Round pick.

If he ultimately makes the right decision, after making this bad decision, he’ll end up back in the NHL next year on a qualifying offer (after wasting this year) and likely play the next 7-8 years for someone as a solid 4, 5 or 6, after a year or two of maturing into what he’s gonna be. So his bigger earning years will likely be 28-33, rather than 24-33.

He has the NHL talent to do this. He’s NOT a Bjornfort type, who lacks NHL talent. He just has to make the commitment. Many times they never do though, and end up back in Sweden for the rest of their career anyway.

It just looks like he’s not going to develop offensively, and that’s ok. Teams failing to see this, and continuing to force that square into that circle, do nothing for themselves but waste time and an asset, and do the player a huge disservice.

Instead, realize it, and allow the player to concentrate on what he does well, and let him become that good defensive Dman (in this case) who retrieves and moves the puck quickly, with good vision. He actually “thinks the game” at a pretty high level.

I should note, although I’ve heard differently, maybe Utah has been trying to do this with him, but generally the team drafting him high, is the one pressing for him to be something he’s not… His play shows he’s trying to do things, he’s just not going to be able to do, in the NHL.

That said, it sucks cause he won’t end up what you planned on, but it’s not the end for a player, and shouldn’t be for the team either. Doesn’t mean he still can’t be a productive NHL player. It just normally happens on team #2 or #3, because that’s when he and his agent change course, deciding to concentrate on being a defensive Dman.

This is a great comparison of how two, pretty similar players in many ways, have a completely different outlook on their careers at 22-23.. Both Swedish Dmen, both drafted in the 2019 draft, both trending to be the same type of player at best. Only differences, one has more quickness, and was drafted in the 2nd round, and likely developed correctly. We’ll see over the next few years.

Albert Johansson has spent the last 2 years in the AHL, playing big minutes every night, concentrating on what’s going to give him a 10 year NHL career. At 23, he’s now ready to start that journey, with a whole lot of confidence he’ll be a really good role playing 4, 5, 6, after he gets some experience and matures in the NHL. Where Soderstrom, if he wants to have a good NHL career, has to now regroup, and concentrate on the things Johansson was doing these last couple of seasons, instead of what Soderstrom has been doing in the AHL. Trying to be something he’s not.

Neither is ever going to be an offensive weapon, but they can be a Matt Roy, Nick Jensen, etc, etc.

It’ll be interesting tracking the two of them. I’m gonna guess (if Soderstrom re-commits himself) they’ll ultimately have very similar careers, yet I’ll bet Johnssson ends up making much more money, as well as being consistent longer. All because a team didn’t call his name too early in a draft, and tried shoving that square into that circle for too many years. Forcing the player to re-evaluate what type of player he is, after 3-5 years.

We’ll see.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
He f***ing sucks. Utah deserves him
Somebody needs to get a wellness check done on this guy!

Perfect example of when teams, agents and ultimately the player (mostly being influenced by the other two) ends up wasting 2-5 years, trying to be something he’s NEVER going to be in the NHL.

Olli Maatta is a great, current example of this. If he would’ve concentrated on his strengths at 20-23, rather than keep trying to be what Pittsburgh thought when they drafted him, he would’ve likely made an extra $5-$15 million, becoming what he is today, much sooner, instead of bouncing around. He was never going to develop more than what he was offensively, and it was to the detriment of his complete game, to keep concentrating on being an offensive player. It then took him much longer to develop his defensive game.

So teams and agents get the blame here, more than the player should.

The worst part for Utah is, his value will become virtually nothing if he does do this Sweden thing. It’ll be a mistake for both parties. He’ll keep wasting earning years, chasing something he’s not, making less money…. and Utah will end up with a 5th round pick (or less) next year, and nothing to show for a 1st Round pick.

If he ultimately makes the right decision, after making this bad decision, he’ll end up back in the NHL next year on a qualifying offer (after wasting this year) and likely play the next 7-8 years for someone as a solid 4, 5 or 6, after a year or two of maturing into what he’s gonna be. So his bigger earning years will likely be 28-33, rather than 24-33.

He has the NHL talent to do this. He’s NOT a Bjornfort type, who lacks NHL talent. He just has to make the commitment. Many times they never do though, and end up back in Sweden for the rest of their career anyway.

It just looks like he’s not going to develop offensively, and that’s ok. Teams failing to see this, and continuing to force that square into that circle, do nothing for themselves but waste time and an asset, and do the player a huge disservice.

Instead, realize it, and allow the player to concentrate on what he does well, and let him become that good defensive Dman (in this case) who retrieves and moves the puck quickly, with good vision. He actually “thinks the game” at a pretty high level.

I should note, although I’ve heard differently, maybe Utah has been trying to do this with him, but generally the team drafting him high, is the one pressing for him to be something he’s not… His play shows he’s trying to do things, he’s just not going to be able to do, in the NHL.

That said, it sucks cause he won’t end up what you planned on, but it’s not the end for a player, and shouldn’t be for the team either. Doesn’t mean he still can’t be a productive NHL player. It just normally happens on team #2 or #3, because that’s when he and his agent change course, deciding to concentrate on being a defensive Dman.

This is a great comparison of how two, pretty similar players in many ways, have a completely different outlook on their careers at 22-23.. Both Swedish Dmen, both drafted in the 2019 draft, both trending to be the same type of player at best. Only differences, one has more quickness, and was drafted in the 2nd round, and likely developed correctly. We’ll see over the next few years.

Albert Johansson has spent the last 2 years in the AHL, playing big minutes every night, concentrating on what’s going to give him a 10 year NHL career. At 23, he’s now ready to start that journey, with a whole lot of confidence he’ll be a really good role playing 4, 5, 6, after he gets some experience and matures in the NHL. Where Soderstrom, if he wants to have a good NHL career, has to now regroup, and concentrate on the things Johansson was doing these last couple of seasons, instead of what Soderstrom has been doing in the AHL. Trying to be something he’s not.

Neither is ever going to be an offensive weapon, but they can be a Matt Roy, Nick Jensen, etc, etc.

It’ll be interesting tracking the two of them. I’m gonna guess (if Soderstrom re-commits himself) they’ll ultimately have very similar careers, yet I’ll bet Johnssson ends up making much more money, as well as being consistent longer. All because a team didn’t call his name too early in a draft, and tried shoving that square into that circle for too many years. Forcing the player to re-evaluate what type of player he is, after 3-5 years.

We’ll see.
This isn't Bill Armstrong's pick, so I think he is fine with cutting his losses if that is what it comes down to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad