Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
1wtw5c.jpg

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
How's does everyone feel Mete's pre-season has gone compared to Sergachev's (sp?) with the Habs last year?

I know obviously they are different players with different styles but they are similar ages playing/played on a fairly similar team (different coach) playing the same position, so there is a good number consistent factors to directly compare them.

I've been very impressed in my limited viewings of Mete. I was really excited with the Serg pick and felt he was a big part of our future, although he looked more tentative and stiff in last years pre-season. Serg obviously was the higher draft pick and has the physical stature, so his value is higher around the league I'm sure.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
NHL ready at 19, it's only preseason but he looks like a future stud

Does Timmins ever know how to find dmen. It makes me feel a little more comfortable about the Sergachev trade. Even if Sergachev ends up being better than Drouin, Timmins should find us some more great dmen.

McDonagh Subban
Mete Sergachev
Beaulieu Streit
Emelin Y. Weber
O'byrne

Juulsen and Lernout on the way. Perhaps Simon Bourque, Brooke, and/or Walford.

Reactions: ChikN

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
How's does everyone feel Mete's pre-season has gone compared to Sergachev's (sp?) with the Habs last year?

I know obviously they are different players with different styles but they are similar ages playing on a fairly similar team (different coach) playing the same position, so there is a fair number of consistency to compare them.

I've been very impressed in my limited viewings of Mete. I was really excited with the Serg pick and felt he was a big part of our future, although he looked more tentative and stiff in last years pre-season. Serg obviously was the higher draft pick and has the physical stature, so his value is higher around the league I'm sure.

The comparison should be Sergachev and Mete THIS preseason. As you say though Mete has looked much better than Sergachev did last preseason. Sergachev showed flash, but was also lost often. And he kept getting rocked because of it.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
The comparison should be Sergachev and Mete THIS preseason. As you say though Mete has looked much better than Sergachev did last preseason. Sergachev showed flash, but was also lost often. And he kept getting rocked because of it.
Sergachev has the brain of a Beaulieu... He's no Markov... Believe me.

Jul 6, 2016
Does Timmins ever know how to find dmen. [/B] It makes me feel a little more comfortable about the Sergachev trade. Even if Sergachev ends up being better than Drouin, Timmins should find us some more great dmen.

McDonagh Subban
Mete Sergachev
Beaulieu Streit
Emelin Y. Weber
O'byrne

Just too bad TT doesn't know how to find centermen and goal scorers.

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

I know obviously they are different players with different styles but they are similar ages playing/played on a fairly similar team (different coach) playing the same position, so there is a fair number of consistency to compare them.

Honestly I doubt we can draw any kind of comparison between the two, Mete is championing a style of his own with regularity and has been that way all his junior days. He is making his own way on to future stardom in this league, I will be bias, I'll take Mete over Sergachev any day and I also believe will have a brighter future.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Mete cannot be recalled if he gets sent down to juniors. Julien has a tough decision to make or is it an easy decision given how Mete has played?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Happy to see him get that goal.

He for sure took a spot in the top 6. I have a feeling CJ really loves the kid.

Who cares what will happen in a month or two from now. Great to see this 19 year old 4th rounder force his way onto the team.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Does Timmins ever know how to find dmen. It makes me feel a little more comfortable about the Sergachev trade. Even if Sergachev ends up being better than Drouin, Timmins should find us some more great dmen.

McDonagh Subban
Mete Sergachev
Beaulieu Streit
Emelin Y. Weber
O'byrne

It's easier to acquire dmen and goalies than elite forwards. When you have an opportunity to make a deal like Sergachev for Drouin, you pull the trigger every single time.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Mete looking 'infinitely' better than Sergachev says much more about Mete than Sergachev. But its the usual smear campaign once a player leaves the club.

It took Hedman 5 years to live up to expectations. I'm all for giving credit to Mete he deserves it but dragging down Sergachev along the way is unnecessary, never mind premature to come to conclusions. He could still end up the better defenseman of his draft.

As for Mete, welcome to Montreal kid.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Trumpet Hab

Sep 28, 2017
Victoria
Mete has earned a chance to play some regular season games. I didn't watch a ton of the pre-season action until yesterday, but from what I've seen he makes good decisions with puck, and doesn't seem out of place. My only issue was yesterday during the PP when he tried to force a play at the blueline instead of backing off.... led to odd man rushes.

He'll learn more playing with Weber and Petry than he will in Junior.

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
Mete cannot be recalled if he gets sent down to juniors. Julien has a tough decision to make or is it an easy decision given how Mete has played?

Frankly, I don't see how they can send Mete down now. Foregone conclusion, especially with Schlemko's injury.

But will he stick beyond 9 games?

Earlier today on TSN 690, Pat Hickey pointed out that Shea Weber plays about 24 minutes a game. If Mete is his partner, can we expect the youngster to put up those kind of minutes?

Whatever happens, it's been exciting to see a young player exceed all expectations. What's not to like?

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada

I'm guessing it will depend on how Jerabek plays in Laval as well. If Mete keeps playing well after nine games but Jerabek is just tearing it up in Laval, I think they send him back to London. I wish they would play both if both perform well.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Mete needs to stay, he fills the void left by Markov, dam he is our best defenseman so far, what a talent, still can't believe how good he is.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Frankly, I don't see how they can send Mete down now. Foregone conclusion, especially with Schlemko's injury.

But will he stick beyond 9 games?

Earlier today on TSN 690, Pat Hickey pointed out that Shea Weber plays about 24 minutes a game. If Mete is his partner, can we expect the youngster to put up those kind of minutes?

Whatever happens, it's been exciting to see a young player exceed all expectations. What's not to like?

Mete seems like the type of player that doesn't expend a lot of energy because he's so smart. Also how many minutes he can play in a game will also depend on his VO2 max (stamina)

I'm still waiting for the kid to have a bad game lol.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Mete MUST get a tryout in the regular season. He is the most impressive Habs rookie defenseman I have seen since Andrei Markov. And Markov was older when he came over.

I think Mete complements Weber really well. He also makes up for the more defensive-minded blueliners. He's perfect for Weber, fills a Habs need and fits in the fast, mobile NHL.

What I want is for Schlemko to come in and take Streit's place. That guy is useless and shouldn't even play at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad