Claimed off Waivers: [VGK] Golden Knights claim F Raphael Lavoie off waivers from the Oilers | Back to Waivers

Artemi Panarin

Aug 3, 2021
Ко́ркино
tinyurl.com
It's insane that the Oilers ever drafted Broberg, Holloway, Lavoie and Bourgault in the first place. Those draft picks should have been spent on improving the NHL roster in order to win a Cup while you have the two best players in the league making a combined 20M.
Why trade the 1st to improve the roster when you can draft *checks notes* Reid Schaefer instead? :naughty:

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
That line is not slow, granted. However it has 2 players who each had 12 points in 71 games last season. For a 3rd line , that is absolutely shit and not up for debate
I know you probably didn't watch the Oilers after they bounced your team round 2 but Janmark-Henrique-Brown was our best line a couple nights in the 3rd and 4th round

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
It's insane that the Oilers ever drafted Broberg, Holloway, Lavoie and Bourgault in the first place. Those draft picks should have been spent on improving the NHL roster in order to win a Cup while you have the two best players in the league making a combined 20M.
That makes very little sense.

First of, good teams still need to keep a somewhat decent cupboard of talents so they can fill up the roster with cheap talent.

Secondly, the Oilers were anything but a contender at the time they drafted someone like Broberg, otherwise they wouldn't have drafted in the spot they did.

But most importantly: if you want to trade draft picks for good players, you need cap-space to field said players. Three things prevented the Oilers from having said capspace:
1) the cap staying mostly flat throughout this time
2) cap-space being tied to bad contracts they carried over
3) adding additional contracts which didn't work out

If you have no cap-space, it would be completely redundant to trade picks or high-end prospects for players, because you cannot afford to keep these players. It wouldn't have helped to use these picks to make more room either, because then they wouldn't have had any assets to get the players they just made room for.

It's not like Edmonton didn't trade plenty of picks in the recent past when they had a bit of room to work with. In 2023 they only had picks in rounds 2, 6 and 7, in 2022 picks in rounds 1, 5, 6 and 7, and they traded the prospect they drafted in the first to gain Ekholm during the following season. They had no 2nd round pick in 2021, and no 2nd or 3rd in 2020.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Lavoie, Broberg, Holloway, McLeod lost and replaced with busts in Ebenstrom and 4th liner at best Podkolzin 🤣
I sure do like Oilers new GM, worst than even Holland. Take a bow Bowman

They need more old guys like Perry to win the cup. I heard Todd Bertuzzi might come out of retirement. Would be a perfect fit for Oilers

Yeah, I don't get that whole Corey Perry lovefest by Bowman...the guy can barely skate, only thing I can think of is that he has a better command/voice in the locker-room than McDavid after that horrible display of yelling in the locker-room after Game #2.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Anyways - aside from the circle jerk of the same 4 Canuck fans going “LOL OILERS” - Lavoie is back on waivers and likely to be claimed by the Oilers.

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
I'm guessing they only wanted one of their two claims to go through, otherwise were they trying to get as tight to the cap as they can for cap reasons? Did Lavoie's contract just happen to be the right amount for them?

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Yeah, I don't get that whole Corey Perry lovefest by Bowman...the guy can barely skate, only thing I can think of is that he has a better command/voice in the locker-room than McDavid after that horrible display of yelling in the locker-room after Game #2.
Horrible display of yelling?

Are you in weekly church group by chance?

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad